Anxiety Medication questions please need answered

Options
First off, sorry if I put this in the wrong forum. My bad, excuse me I'm going to forum Hell now, oh Dear God what have I done.

Anyway. I will be put on anxiety medication and possibly antidepressants as well either tomorrow or the next, but sometime soon. I have a severe Anxiety Disorder. Luckily my workouts aren't effected by it. But everything else like school work and keeping a habit of spending time with friends and family...it terrifies me. I freak out and so scared. I feel like people will constantly judge me. I get so terrified I feel I can't eat in front of others for fear others will judge me. I hate it. My therapist and I are working on this.

However I want to know. Should I be aware of what could possibly happen when put on anxiety medication? Like, do you suddenly lose or gain weight? I don't know. Right now I'm maintaining a perfectly healthy weight. Just maybe a few pounds to go but not many. Please respond.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Depends on the medicine. Your dr will be able to tell you. Good mental health is more important than a couple of kgs so take the medicine strictly as per Drs guidelines. It's best to nip anxiety in the bud before it gets worse. Saying that, most meds MAY make you feel hungry not make you put on weight. Low Gi diet and exercise can help. Exercise funnily enough can curb hunger.
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Each medication has its own set of side effects. I've been on a few and had different experiences with each. Wellbutrin is said to not cause weight gain, however while taking it I experienced the side effect of being highly irritable, like screaming at family, friends and strangers for no apparent reason. Mirtazapine (Remeron), I experienced the most appetite increase, I could eat and eat and eat and not feel full or sick. In fact, my dog was prescribed Remeron to stimulate her appetite when she was sick. I am currently on Zoloft, and it doesn't have much effect on my weight, if anything I have less of an appetite, but other members might experience the opposite.
  • iluvnufoods
    iluvnufoods Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've been on several medications for anxiety (both SSRIs and SNRIs) and in my experience, most side effects taper off as your body begins to tolerate the medication better. I've never had trouble with appetite side effects, but every body is different. You might have to try several medications before you find the right fit.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the medicine. Definitely continue with the exercise, that helps me with anxiety more than any medicine. Just like with weight loss, taking medication is a journey. You start off on a low dose and see how you feel. It's good that you're going to therapy too. Take it one step at a time. Most side effects go away after a few weeks. Good luck.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It depends on the medication but even then it can vary from person to person. I have friend who is on the exact same medication and dosage that I was on and she says it gives her unmanageable munchies yet it almost eliminated my appetite.

In many (maybe even most) cases, weight gain is an avoidable or manageable side effect. The medication may increase the chances of weight gain (whether directly or indirectly through increased cravings or metabolism changes, etc.) but there are often things you can do to prevent that side-effect from happening whether than means being extra careful about calorie intake or increasing exercise, etc. In my opinion, the worst thing would be to think "well, weight gain is a side-effect so it's inevitable." Whether legit or not, it's nice to be able to say "it's not my fault I gained weight" so it's easy to fall into that trap. I see people do that all the time with quitting smoking even though the quitting itself isn't what causes the weight gain- it's the cravings/ irritability/ oral fixation/ etc. that lead to over-eating that causes the gain.

I'm not saying weight-gain isn't a real side effect of some medications. I know it is, and it's great you're thinking ahead and trying to prepare yourself to avoid it. I just wanted to mention that because I think it's easy for the fear of side-effects to lead to self-sabotage and therefore become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Congrats on getting help and taking the steps to get your life back! You CAN lose weight at the same time- just gotta find what works for you. Wishing you the best! :smile:
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've never had side-effects from those kinds of meds but I know there are some anti-depressants associated with increased appetite. A friend of mine takes one of those and she did put on some weight but she was over-eating because it gave her a bigger appetite. She has since started MFP and working out and is losing and maintaining a lower calorie diet - simply by focusing on lots of protein - lots and lots of protein and eliminating all the empty carbs, desserts, and meal-replacement bars, etc. She says she doesn't feel hungry at all with the high-protein diet.

It's good that you're taking care of yourself mentally and physically!
  • LipstickCase
    LipstickCase Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on Mirtazapine for a year and now am in the process of comming off. Yes they worked and gave me sleep but the weight gain was terrible, its well documented that these will put on weight and extremely unlikely you will see any loss while still taking them even with exercise hence the reason i have now had enoughvwith these meds!
  • dessarie_24
    dessarie_24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can try lithium carbonate for anti anxiety, but you should ask the prescription of your Doctor by the way before taking in to medicines.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Depends which one they give you. Let your doctor know that it is a concern. I'm on Lexapro. It has not messed with my weight. When I was on Celexa I gained 30 lb in 3 months! Also I was very drowsy. Also, ask the pharmacist when you pick up the meds. Sometimes they'll reveal things about side effects that the doctor didn't tell you. If one med is not right for you, you can switch. It may take a few trials to find the best med for you.
  • rachel29hart
    rachel29hart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been on a combo of antidepressants and anxiety meds for about 6 years and have seen a couple that lead to weight gain, but at most 5-10 pounds over a few months time. I don't discount that they could have been caused by other things.

I was in a good place to get off meds and take OTC products like 5HTP and St. Johns Wart, which for me have yielded better results with no weight gain. Of course, I did consult my doctor about this. I do feel better and 'okay' most of the time.

Honestly though, even if weight gain is a side effect, mental health is so important and you need to do what is right for you. If you gain a couple pounds, that's just an excuse to work harder than you have and see what you can accomplish. Depression and weight loss are hard to both deal with, but believing in yourself and training yourself to walk around the block instead of bringing or laying in bed is an invaluable trait and can work wonders for your mindset.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    First off, sorry if I put this in the wrong forum. My bad, excuse me I'm going to forum Hell now, oh Dear God what have I done.

Anyway. I will be put on anxiety medication and possibly antidepressants as well either tomorrow or the next, but sometime soon. I have a severe Anxiety Disorder. Luckily my workouts aren't effected by it. But everything else like school work and keeping a habit of spending time with friends and family...it terrifies me. I freak out and so scared. I feel like people will constantly judge me. I get so terrified I feel I can't eat in front of others for fear others will judge me. I hate it. My therapist and I are working on this.

However I want to know. Should I be aware of what could possibly happen when put on anxiety medication? Like, do you suddenly lose or gain weight? I don't know. Right now I'm maintaining a perfectly healthy weight. Just maybe a few pounds to go but not many. Please respond.

Thanks in advance.

Hey! It all depends on which medications. Some affect your weight and others do not. Some just affect appetite which indirectly affects your weight. You need to discuss your fitness goals with your Doctor and if necessary get with a Registered Dietitian. That's the BEST way to go about this. But figure out which medications you are going to be put on and find out as MUCH information about them as you can digest. Some people will curse at me for saying this but Wikapedia is not a bad source. It lumps all the basic information you need. If you start reading all the specific drug information out there your brain might possibly implode causing you to have more anxiety which you don't need, right? You want pertinent information that's not super specific. But yes some do, for example Wellbutrin (Buproprion) is an anti depressant and can cause either weight gain or weight loss, but is a good anti depressant. Figure out the CLASS in which your drug is with, because most drugs in the same CLASS all have the same side effects, for example Wellbutrin is an SNRI (Serotonin Norepinepherine Reuptake Inhibitor), don't worry about what all that means, long story short, each medication falls into a group, so research that particular group of drugs and your good, but STILL consult with your Doctor and Dietitian (that's what Dieitians are for, literally).