Gross subject!! But need help!?!?

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I take a probiotic daily. Magnesium helps, too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Here's some woo I heard about the other day when researching essential oils: it said to put a couple drops of peppermint oil in the toilet and sit. Results should follow. I haven't tried it, just kind of shook my head, but hey, if there's anyone out there that has tried it, let us know.

Haha interesting. It sounds waay too easy.
  • caramello63
    caramello63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of steal cut oatmeal everyday (with walnuts and brown sugar) and it has helped to regulate me.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I just suffered through constipation from taking painkillers and it was the worst! Even coffee (my normal go-to) didn't help (and it just nauseated me). Have you tried adding a couple of prunes or some prune juice to your diet? It's not exactly low-calorie, but it helps...
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Here's some woo I heard about the other day when researching essential oils: it said to put a couple drops of peppermint oil in the toilet and sit. Results should follow. I haven't tried it, just kind of shook my head, but hey, if there's anyone out there that has tried it, let us know.

the only fact I know about peppermint oil is that mice hate it... so.. just extrapolating those 2 data points... no i got nothin'
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    OP - this is normal when you dramatically change your diet and drastically increase your consumption of raw fruits and veggies. Decreasing fat will also contribute. Taking fiber is not going to help you, as you are getting more than you are probably used to which is part of the issue. If you add fiber like Metamucil, you are only going to add bulk to the constipation. Try drinking more water and increasing your fat. Healthy fats are essential to a balanced diet and can be easily added (think veggies, hummus, and olive oil or add avacados, etc).

I second/third the suggestion for adding magnesium. I take 300mg magnesium citrate tablets in the morning on an empty stomach with 14oz of water. Drinking water with the tablets and after is essential for them to be effective. Magnesium is an osmotic laxative like Miralax but is also a nutrient your body requires to function so win win. Do not over it do it though as it can also affect your electrolyte balance, so make sure on days which you take it you are also consuming sodium and calcium. If taking it once a day doesn't yield quick results try 300mg in the morning and 300mg at night until you go, or for three days max. Of course, if it's been a week or longer see your doctor as you may be impacted or obstructed, and it could be or get serious.

If you find constipation is becoming a frequent issue temporarily reduce your fiber intake until it's no longer an issue and then slowly increase you fiber consumption so it's not such a shock to your body. Good luck and kudos I your lifestyle change!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just looked up the macros for prunes.. 200 calories for a piddly 6g of fibre. Not worth it imo
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm always amazed and surprised when I log in my healthy, colorful, fruits and veggies and see how few grams of fiber they have in them. That's one reason why i eat whole wheat pasta, barley, oatmeat, raspberries, beans, ovacadoes, Brussels sprouts, nuts, etc. I don't have all of them in one day, but try to hit over 26 grams a day, even if I have to suppliment with flax or chia seeds. That, and lots of water!

Oops ... I made a new veggie in my post ... avacadoes!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Well if it does work, at least you won't stink out the bathroom. ;)
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options

It sounds insane, doesn't it? But...after I had 2 of my kids (via cesarean), I was having huge trouble urinating after they took the catheter out. I had the same nurse both times. She brought out the peppermint oil, and low & behold, it worked. She used a "hat" on the toilet & put quite a few drops in there. I could "feel" something.

I don't know if it would work for stool, but it worked for urinating. It does sound like woo, though, I agree. The first time I thought she was nuts.
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I found eating 1/4 cup of Original Allbran daily and increasing my water intake took care of my problem naturally.
  • Allifitnow
    Allifitnow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Magnesium has been a blessing to me. I've struggled with that problem my whole life, even increasing fiber, water, etc didn't help but been fine ever since I started adding magnesium supplements!
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and avocados. Magnesium is a hard-to-obtain mineral through diet alone anyway, and the fats of the avocado (heart-healthy fats) are amazing stool softeners.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I'm always amazed and surprised when I log in my healthy, colorful, fruits and veggies and see how few grams of fiber they have in them. That's one reason why i eat whole wheat pasta, barley, oatmeat, raspberries, beans, ovacadoes, Brussels sprouts, nuts, etc. I don't have all of them in one day, but try to hit over 26 grams a day, even if I have to suppliment with flax or chia seeds. That, and lots of water!

How are you (or anyone else for that matter) eating your chia seeds? I soak them overnight in a mason jar and drink it. I heard it was bad to eat them raw as they could expand in your throat!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    I just looked up the macros for prunes.. 200 calories for a piddly 6g of fibre. Not worth it imo

I remember reading somewhere there is compound in prunes that helps to soften stools hence why prunes help people go to the toilet, no idea if is true or not though....

• Marchmallow
    Marchmallow Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I found that including beans in your diet helps a lot! I make my own vegetable-based recipes from scratch and usually include beans of some sort (I make chilli, hot pot, soups, rice and bean dishes, etc.) and I'm super regular. Also, try coffee - you may be one of the 30% of people (like me) in whom coffee consumption triggers peristalsis - in English, you need to go about 20 minutes after a cup!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I remember reading somewhere there is compound in prunes that helps to soften stools hence why prunes help people go to the toilet, no idea if is true or not though....

Not a scientific reference (but it references scientific articles!): http://mentalfloss.com/article/69479/why-do-prunes-make-you-poop

Also for OP--kind of a woo site, so take it with a grain of salt, but most of these foods seem to work for me: http://bembu.com/foods-that-make-you-poop
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's been a problem for me right along too lol
  • Nikion901
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    Nikion901 wrote: »

How are you (or anyone else for that matter) eating your chia seeds? I soak them overnight in a mason jar and drink it. I heard it was bad to eat them raw as they could expand in your throat!

I sprinkle chia seed into my oatmeal before I cook (in the microwave), and I also add it to my smoothie as a thickener when I don't use protein powder shake mix, or sprinkle them onto my yogurt for some crunch.

I would not swallow chia seed dry as they are gritty ... but somehow I doubt they would actually expand in your throat unless you held them there. However, soaking them before using might help keep down any bloating some people get from them (they are like beans in that respect for some people, which are also great for fiber)
  • Nikion901
    Options

Prunes have a high amount of sorbitol which gives them their wonderful laxative properties. I have used prune juice in the past, just don't overdo it. ;)

There is always a jar of prune juice in pantry, but I actually much prefer the dried fruit ... 3 little prunes as an evening snack ... but it's hard to stop at just 3.