• amy4586
    amy4586 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Im starting out with app I like so far[/quote

That's great! I love it too!
  • amy4586
    Options
    Week 1, Day 3 here. I've done this app before and it was great. I'm mad at myself for having to start all over, but hey, at least I'm trying again!

I started it too once before and had to start over but I've never gotten this far before! I'm hoping I am back to feeling better soon- I have been so consistent...I don't want to slip out of my good habit
  • amy4586
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    Still on week 1, I am repeating it. But very inspirational to see everyone's results here. Thanks for posting!
    Also, they tell you to run very slowly at first, I am jogging at a 4.2 speed on the treadmill. Is that too slow?

I don't think too slow is even possible- go at your comfortable pace. I found a great article the other day on Pinterest that explained the mistakes of new runners and it went into detail about how sometimes you go too fast because of excitement or self consciousness but we should find a pace that is comfortable enough that we could have a light conversation with someone. So that what I pace myself with. Once I did that I was able to go farther and do better in each circuit.

• amy4586
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    c25k made me a runner. i did it last year and ran my first hm last month

I love this! I want to be a runner too
  • amy4586
    Options
    LOVED c25k. Just moved on to the 5k to 10k plan, but cannot begin to tell you how proud of myself I was on w9d1. w5d3 was mentally the hardest...just keep going. @lsutton484, great job!

I am really looking forward to completing the 10K program! That's my ultimate goal

• amy4586
    Options
    As others have said - don't feel bad to repeat days. I have, and when I took that little break - I restarted at week 4.

Since I don't think I will be at it again until Saturday, I plan on repeating Week 5 day 2. It has been my favorite run to date and it was a comfortable pace...ill do that a couple of times and try and tackle day 3. Day 3 kicked my butt lol
  • craftyeileenm
    craftyeileenm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 3, run 3 and finding it hard!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I loved it when I did it last year! I ran my first race ever right after, and then stopped running lol. I started it again this year so I can slowly get used to running in the heat and work up to a 10k. I'm on w4d1 today.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    me! Did W4D1 on Wednesday. Going pretty well this time around !
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I am starting in Week 4 of the Personal Running Trainer 8 weeks to 5k series available from amazon prime. The music is kinda annoying but it seems really good and was free. I wasn't at "couch" level to start as I can jog a mile fine, but have been irritated with my lack of progress back to being able to run 5 miles continuous (recovering from an injury last year) and thinking maybe an organized progression would help.

Then I want to do their 8 weeks to 10k, then 5 miles. I don't care if I have to do each week twice, just want to progress slowly and safely back to more distance.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I am starting in Week 4 of the Personal Running Trainer 8 weeks to 5k series available from amazon prime. The music is kinda annoying but it seems really good and was free. I wasn't at "couch" level to start as I can jog a mile fine, but have been irritated with my lack of progress back to being able to run 5 miles continuous (recovering from an injury last year) and thinking maybe an organized progression would help.

Then I want to do their 8 weeks to 10k, then 5 miles. I don't care if I have to do each week twice, just want to progress slowly and safely back to more distance.

I liked Personal Running Trainer. Started with 4 weeks to a mile as it had been a long time since I ran. Did 8 weeks to 5K. Now trying for Half marathon distance ;-)
  • Lovemybody75
    Lovemybody75 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I finished week 1 of c25k in 3 days as I like some exercise everyday. My question is, should I go on to week 2 now? I finished the the workouts fully.
  • amy4586
    Options
    I finished week 1 of c25k in 3 days as I like some exercise everyday. My question is, should I go on to week 2 now? I finished the the workouts fully.

I would listen to your body- if you feel like you can I guess you could move on but keep in mind that rest days are important in running. If you like exercise everyday you could always incorporate another activity. I've read yoga is great for runners or anything that works the core- it makes you a better runner.

• amy4586
    Options
    I'm in week 3, run 3 and finding it hard!

It gets easier. Repeat if you have to. I'm repeating this whole week since I had to take a little break with bronchitis. It's frustrating but I'm not in a competition with anyone but myself. I just want to be a runner. It makes me feel good.

Good luck! Feel free to add me.

• sofasnail2012
    sofasnail2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to take time and let your body heal from that bronchitis b4 doing to much phys. Start off by going for walks rather than a run... Eat lots of yogurt to build your stomach flora back up.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I wouldn't. You may feel fine, and your muscles are adapting well, but you have to give your bones, joints, tendons, etc time to adapt too. When I ran in college, I felt great. Until I didn't. I had all sorts of overuse injuries, like shin splits, knee problems, and stress fractures on my feet. When I started running again (8 years later) and did a beginner to 5k program, I was in pretty good shape. My cardiovascular system and muscles could easily handle long periods of running, but I forced myself to slow down and do what the app recommended. And I had zero signs of overtraining.

It's awesome that you like exercise every day. I'm like that too. But if I were you I'd alternate the running with low impact forms of exercise. Like swimming, walking, weight lifting, or yoga. Weight lifting in particular has made me a much faster runner.
  • Lovemybody75
    Lovemybody75 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I'll move up slowly.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8 of c210k. This first 8 weeks are identical to c25k. I'm using the app to build a base for a half marathon in December.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

You should do some cross training, alternating with your running. Lifting, body weight exercises, yoga, Pilates are all good alternatives for the repetitive actions involved with running.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    You should do some cross training, alternating with your running. Lifting, body weight exercises, yoga, Pilates are all good alternatives for the repetitive actions involved with running.

I did some cycling and some yoga on the days between C25K runs. Generally I think it's best to keep to the C25K schedule as it's designed to limit the risk of injury.