Social Anxiety when Exercising in Public

Options
Anyone else have a problem with this? I always have .. Even when I was playing sprts in school I could never completely focus because I was constantly thinking that people were judging my performance. Even the few times I've been to the gym I'm scared I may even be breathing too heavy around people. I KNOW, IT'S RIDICULOUS. How do you overcome it?

Replies

• MsBode
    MsBode Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym since I'm the same way. I walk around my neighborhood, purchased a treadmill from craigslist and do squats, lunges, planks, etc at home. I also prefer this since I don't have to go anywhere and it's convenient. I'm sure the gym has its perks but this works for me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is about weighing the advantages and disadvantages.
    A person can overcome it when they want to exercise in public more than they are willing to let social anxiety to be in charge.
    Good luck to you :)
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Buy headphones or something else to block out noises of your own breathing and other people and play your favourite music. Go to gym or out to do whatever you want during times when there are no other people at start. Do things you have to focus on a lot so you won't have time to pay attention to what others are doing. Just make every place you go your own place, make it your own personal time. You aren't there to please others, you are there doing things for yourself :smile:
  • ninas9999
    ninas9999 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I always have had to train with trainers ,, otherwise , I can't put my feet inside the gym ., shy , worry , afraid ., all sort of mixed feelings ., it's hard
  • CinqueFit
    CinqueFit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. It's scary and I psyche myself out and stay in my comfort zone and then get bored and never go back. I've recently come across the saying, "Do something that scares you every day." So, earlier this week, Ive forced myself to go into the weight room. Yes, it's intimidating, but I just focus on me, my music and my workout. In time, the anxiety will subside.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way... still am, too a degree. I find myself taking out my earbuds every so often if I think I'm breathing too heavily.

At the gym I go to at work, dudes are grunting, panting, "ARGHGHHH" all the time. I don't say anything to do them because tbh I don't care. Realizing that no one cares about my fat *kitten*, either, makes it infinitely easier to just do what I need to do.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way... still am, too a degree. I find myself taking out my earbuds every so often if I think I'm breathing too heavily.

At the gym I go to at work, dudes are grunting, panting, "ARGHGHHH" all the time. I don't say anything to do them because tbh I don't care. Realizing that no one cares about my fat *kitten*, either, makes it infinitely easier to just do what I need to do.

Ahh, this sounds just like me. I used to be self conscious at the gym, but the longer I went, the better it got. I ignore the meatheads as I call them, the grunting guys. When I run outside, I've come to realize that no one's really paying attention to me. They're doing their own thing.
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm the same way and yes it stops me from doing certain exercises. But sometimes I try tell myself even though I may look or sound odd now, I can't wait to show those people around me how far I've come in a few months when my weight loss becomes noticeable! :-)
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym at odd hours when there aren't many people has really helped me.