Fibromyalgia/m.e weight loss and exercise

Options
rasj86
rasj86 Posts: 1 Member
Is any body else on here disabled with m.e and/or fibro but trying to lose weight and get in shape? I'm struggling for motivation and my body isn't helping!.x.

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, you don't need to exercise. You may need to be a bit tighter with your logging if you're not moving much in order to keep your deficit, but the weight will come off. For getting in shape, do what you can and next time try to do a bit more. Try not to get overwhelmed by thinking that you've got to do it all, perfectly, every time. Baby steps.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have Myasthenia Gravis, an autoimmune disease causing variable weakness, breathing, chewing, and swallowing problems. I had a major flare in Feb-may and still unable to exercise much (although I've been breathing fine and able to eat normal food for the past two weeks! B) ).

I've had to focus on losing mainly by diet, since exercise isn't always within my capacity. I follow a low-carb diet to manage the cravings caused by prednisone, and did the PaleoAIP elimination diet to see what foods worsen inflammation for me.

There are groups you might want to join, one is about Autoimmunity and Fitness, the other about Disability and Overweight.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/111724-getting-fit-with-an-autoimmune-disease

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105791-disabled-and-overweight
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have CFS.

I swim. In the early days just walking to the pool was enough.... But i followed the 'graded excercise' approach - and allowed for relapses too. Nowadays i am fairly fit, and importantly my CFS has definitely improved and i have not got depressed a and i think graded excercise has been a big part of this...now i usually swim 1k.

(Graded excercise = very gradual increases, eg if you can walk for 10 mins without too much impact, do this regularly for 2 weeks and then inrease ny 10% and now walk for 11 minutes for atleast 2 weeks before increasing another 10%. Etc. And go gently after relapses... )

Good luck