Hard to lose weight after 40 - is this true or a myth?

Options
john8083
john8083 Posts: 11 Member
I was in really great shape (in part thanks to MFP) three years ago when I was 39. After 40...my weight went up. It is true life has been more sedate in recent times...sitting down for too long and so on. But the exercises that worked before, like skipping and running, just don't work my body hard enough, and so...I don't lose weight. Am 178 pounds now, would love to be 162, would be over the moon with 155. Am even waist training now, which is giving my body some shape, but not losing weight. Do any of you have this issue? Please add me if you would like a friendly support!

Replies

• BewitchedBelinda99
    BewitchedBelinda99 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think it's harder yes but maybe that's just me! Sent you a friend request.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Definitely harder, but can be done.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I lost 121 pounds and now been maintaining all most 2 years. I did not find it that hard to lose weight.

I am 47 years old. ;)
  • perfectfitness34
    perfectfitness34 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    100% True! Because as we get older our bodies produce less testosterone if your male which means less lean muscle mass and a slower metabolic rate or slower use of the food we eat as fuel. For women it is the same but the decline of the hormone estrogen contributes to increased weight gain and because of the naturally lower metabolic rate woman have and the monthly "battle" you guys have a harder time keeping the weight down or off. This doesn't mean it's impossible though! Solid nutrition and a good fitness plan. Anything is possible...I hope this helps.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't find it any harder. I didn't have any weight problems or do dieting except like for a week a couple of times until after menopause. When I put my mind to it and a pencil to paper counted out my calories for the day I could lose the weight.
    I don't think the metabolism change is very significant, a few hundred calories over a lifetime. Its going to take effort, no matter what age we take that responsibility, or get that motivation to eat a little less. Its worth it though.
    You can do it, best wishes.

One thing is that as I get older, what other people are eating influences me less and less, so its easier in a way.
    Is that called 'getting set in your ways'? B)
  • davidchorney
    davidchorney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tend to think, if it's harder, it's because, at later ages, we tend to get more ingrained in the habits that hurt us.

It may be true that our metabolism slows down. But what hurts us is that we're used to eating a certain volume of food and/or certain kinds of food. That's one of the best things about MFP... if you want to lose a pound of week, you can do so by running a 500 calorie a day deficit. I'm approximating of course, but you get the idea. Once you get an idea of what your resting metabolic rate is and an idea of how many calories you burn a day in your normal lifestyle, you can try to adjust those habits to fit your goals.

So yes... I think it's harder to lose weight as you get older. And one reason is because your metabolism changes. But I think, even more so, is because we tend to get even more ingrained with our habits, some of which, we don't know are hurting us.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I started right at my 40th birthday and have lost consistently. I've tried to increase my metabolism by weight lifting over the years and maybe it's helped, maybe not, I don't know, but I do think it's helped in composition as the 60 pounds has come off.
  • Msshoregirl
    Msshoregirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The older you get the harder it gets. I told my daughter, who is in her early 20s to get moving and she will lose weight fast and easy. I am in my 50s now and it is impossible. 4X at the gym, 14-1500 cal diet. I barely lose 2/10ths of a lb a week. One salty thing and it all comes back. I have an appt with a dietitian next week. I'm printing out everything I log here so she can look it over and make some recommendations. I can NOT do less calories than that without getting evil. I tried 1200 calories and it was not going well at all.
  • Yasmin163
    Yasmin163 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I seen this.I am really struggling myself. I'm 44 and a fitness instructor. I see it over and over again. I work out 5 days a week limit my calorie intake and still gaining weight and can not shift it for love nor money. Our hormones levels do slow down or stop the older we get and the way we store fat changes. Our metabolism slows right down and therefore calories are not being burnt off. Becomes even more important to increase strength training in the gym and making sure you are eating at regular 2-3 hours intervals.
    I've had blood test to check my thyroid but it came back normal. However, I have read alot about thyroid issues and have been told NOT to accept 'normal'. If your thyroid is at the lower side or normal, it can have a drastic effect on the metabolism and in turn weight loss. I've asked my GP for further test.

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The worst/hardest part for me isn't the metabolism thing -- it's that I get injured more easily and there are more things wrong with me now than when I was in my 20s. By now, I have chronic injuries that are easily irritated - bad back, Achilles tendinitis, etc, plus Hashi's, which didn't start until I was 40. People who believe that they're just getting better as they get older think so because dementia is already setting in.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Calorie needs decrease as one ages, but it's not that much and very gradual. For example a moderately active 20 yo male needs 2800 calories a day. By the time that person is 66, it's down to 2200. It only goes down to 2400 for a 40 YO.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/usda_food_patterns/EstimatedCalorieNeedsPerDayTable.pdf

Bump the activity a bit as you age and/or eliminate a few cookies and your good to go.