Weighing foods while frozen or cooked?

Options
If something says a serving size is 3 oz. and that item is frozen....do you weigh 3 oz of the frozen item or 3 oz of the thawed/cooked item because the weights are different. Hope this doesn't sound too dumb.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Frozen :)
  • ianwilson67
    ianwilson67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i would have thought thawed, as ice is heavy.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Thawed.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    How much I've is really on it though?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »

a lot actually.

The key is to log it how you weigh it....it doesnt matter really how you weigh it as long as you log it that way.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

a lot actually.

The key is to log it how you weigh it....it doesnt matter really how you weigh it as long as you log it that way.

Cool I'm making some things frozen chicken breast right now. It's not that calorie dense so it shouldn't effect me at end of day but still i always just assumed that the package would tell you how many calories the way it comes out of the bag
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    thawed, raw
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

a lot actually.

Cool I'm making some things frozen chicken breast right now. It's not that calorie dense so it shouldn't effect me at end of day but still i always just assumed that the package would tell you how many calories the way it comes out of the bag

Yep. If it's something like frozen chicken nuggets or some frozen vegetable mix, the nutrition information is based on it as is (frozen form) unless otherwise stated on the label. For something generic like chicken breast, you have the option of thawing and then choosing a USDA raw entry.