How should I spread my calories out?

Options
Hi, I was just wondering how people spread there calories out over the day. 3 days out of the week I have to get up earlier and so I'm eating breakfast at 6.30am by 9.00am I'm starving again. Then. I nibble and pick all day at work and by the time dinner arrives there's not much in the calorie department left. The last two days I have eaten beans and tuna with lemon and basil which was really low calorie and has left me loads for my evening meal. I was just wondering how I should spread my calories do I'm not picking in between. My calorie intake is 1350.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Experiment and see what works best for you. Some do better with a large breakfast, some do better eating more later in the day.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    In terms of how it effects weight loss? It really doesn't matter - whatever works for you!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat several small meals throughout the day. It helps. I eat breakfast around 730, a snack at 10, lunch around 1245, if I'm hungry a snack between 330 and 4, and then dinner between 630 and 7. If I feel munchie later, I have a 100 calorie bag of popcorn. When I'm restricting, meals are 300-400 calories, snacks are 150-250.
  • lnculver
    lnculver Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i think that the best results have happened for me when i snack all day. a good brkfst not too big then a snack shortly after lunch, snack, snack, dinner and a treat like unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon for evening snack. Good luck either way you choose just try to choose good calories :)
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Addendum: Play with macros. Some people feel fuller on fat, others protein, others fiber. See what your body likes. If I'm hungry and I don't think I should be, I drink a big glass of water and wait 15 minutes. If I'm still hungry, I eat. I'm usually not. I'm also working on reminding myself that it won't kill me to be a little hungry - I usually don't have long to go to my next meal.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I don't snack a lot. I usually have 3 meals per day and sometimes an evening snack. I try to make sure I get plenty of protien at each meal as that keeps me full until the next meal. I generally spread about half of my calories over breakfast and lunch and save half for dinner. I usually have more for dinner because I eat back a portion of my exercise calories. But some people do better eating smaller meals and snacking during the day. You just have to find what works best for you.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I set the times I will be eating meals and snacks ahead of time. That way it helps me keep from evening snacking over my calorie goal. For example

7:30am Breakfast
    10:00am Morning snack
    12:00pm Lunch
    2:00pm light snack
    4:00pm light snack
    6:30 dinner

So the longest I go during the day without eating something is 2 and half hours. If I get hungry before these times (and I often do) I tell myself to wait until the time I set. In fact this morning I felt some hunger twinges around 9:25, I just told myself I had to wait 35 minutes and I could have a nice Peanut butter sandwich, has been working well for me so far.
  • ditabella89
    ditabella89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was just wondering how people spread there calories out over the day. 3 days out of the week I have to get up earlier and so I'm eating breakfast at 6.30am by 9.00am I'm starving again. Then. I nibble and pick all day at work and by the time dinner arrives there's not much in the calorie department left. The last two days I have eaten beans and tuna with lemon and basil which was really low calorie and has left me loads for my evening meal. I was just wondering how I should spread my calories do I'm not picking in between. My calorie intake is 1350.

In my experience, exercising might be your best choice since it increases the number of calories you need for the day and won't let you feeling hungry. May I suggest starting your day with 1/2 cup of plain dry oats sweetened with stevia and 1 cup of milk (skim or unsweetened almond), and boiled egg whites (aim for at least 20gr of protein for breakfast). Also, try not to "nibble" or "graze", just have 6 meals spread through your day (every 3 hours) and each one should include protein and fiber to keep you full (ex. celery sticks and almond butter). I personally don't count calories but instead watch out for macro distribution. If you're still hungry at night and don't want to overdo it opt for a protein shake with water. Watch out for sugars more than anything.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Try skipping breakfast and only eat during set meal times (whatever they may be for you). It really doesn't matter how you spread your calories out so long as you stay within your goal. I find delaying my first meal helps me. It may or may not work for you.

Also, what is your setting (1 pound, 2 pounds per week?) and how fast are you actually losing weight? Hunger is a reality and we all need to accept a bit of it while dieting, but if you get too aggressive then you may find adherence to your diet needlessly difficult. That said, let's be realistic here, you have to cut calories to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    However you see fit.