Eating back calories...

Options
Does everyone eat back calories burned with exercise? I'm planning not to, will this effect my loss? TIA

Replies

• Shadyhuero805
    Shadyhuero805 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Im debating with the same question.. I got different opinions
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP as designed intends for you to eat calories back. The app gave you a deficit BEFORE exercise.

Many people will eat back a percentage (50-75%) because calorie burns are estimates.

The reason for eating back some calories - fuel your future workouts - help reduce lean muscle mass loss - encourage more activity.
  • JamesBost2016
    JamesBost2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am definately no expert, but if you eat the workout calories wouldn't you stay at the same weight? Less calories equal more weight loss?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal comes from MFP, you should consider eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories especially if your overall calorie goal is low or you are engaging in more exercise.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Shazr2 wrote: »
    Does everyone eat back calories burned with exercise? I'm planning not to, will this effect my loss? TIA

Only if I am hungry or had a VERY hard workout.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP as it was designed you should eat back exercise calories....at least some of them.

MFP using the NEAT method (non-exercise activity Thermogenesis) meaning it gives you the calories you need to eat to lose the weight you said you wanted to.

So what you are supposed to do is log the exercise and let it add in the extra calories to your log for consumption.

People do find however that MFP exercise calories can be high (not always the way but some do find it) so the standard recommendation is to eat back 50-75% of them.

I always did and it didn't hinder my weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am definately no expert, but if you eat the workout calories wouldn't you stay at the same weight? Less calories equal more weight loss?

No you don't stay at the same weight if you are using MFP numbers.

If you use a calculator that factors in exercise before giving you a deficit (TDEE less a %)......then you don't eat calories back.

Faster weight loss can mean a larger % of lean muscle mass loss. I want to lower my body fat %, and am not currently obese so eating back calories is important to me.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is designed, you are eating at a deficit already - so exercising creates a larger one.

So... say I eat 1500 calories, which includes a 250 calorie deficit. I workout, burn another 250, so my deficit is 500 - too large for me at this stage of weight loss... so I eat back 250 (give or take), and I'm still back at -250, and will thus lose, not maintain.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    If I didn't I would go insane. I've set my calories as sedentary despite probably being lightly active at the very least. I love to eat what can I say
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    If I didn't I would go insane. I've set my calories as sedentary despite probably being lightly active at the very least. I love to eat what can I say

if you set it as lightly active you get more calories anyway...unless you are sedentary and/or have a fitness tracker you shouldn't set your activity level to sedentary.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    When you signed up for MFP, it asked you how much you weigh, how much you want to weigh, and how quickly you want to get there.

For the sake of having numbers, let's say I weigh 215 lbs, I want to weigh 200, and I want to lose 1/2 pound per week. That means I should have a deficit of 500 calories per day, I should burn 500 more than I eat.

So let's say I burn 500 calories one day running a 5k. If I eat them back, I have a 500 calorie deficit. If I don't eat them back, I have a 1,000 calorie deficit which means I'm losing weight too quickly, I only want to lose 1/2 pound per week. I don't want to wind up like those Biggest Loser people who gained all their weight back and maybe ruined their metabolism. I want to make this a sustainable thing that I can do for the rest of my life. So yes, I eat my exercise calories back.

The problem is that for a lot of people it's hard to know exactly how many you're burning. You estimate it with whatever method you're most comfortable with, you track your food and your weight, and, over time, you adjust according to your results.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you signed up for MFP, it asked you how much you weigh, how much you want to weigh, and how quickly you want to get there.

For the sake of having numbers, let's say I weigh 215 lbs, I want to weigh 200, and I want to lose 1/2 pound per week. That means I should have a deficit of 500 calories per day, I should burn 500 more than I eat.

So let's say I burn 500 calories one day running a 5k. If I eat them back, I have a 500 calorie deficit. If I don't eat them back, I have a 1,000 calorie deficit which means I'm losing weight too quickly, I only want to lose 1/2 pound per week. I don't want to wind up like those Biggest Loser people who gained all their weight back and maybe ruined their metabolism. I want to make this a sustainable thing that I can do for the rest of my life. So yes, I eat my exercise calories back.

The problem is that for a lot of people it's hard to know exactly how many you're burning. You estimate it with whatever method you're most comfortable with, you track your food and your weight, and, over time, you adjust according to your results.

This is a good explanation, but a deficit of 500 a day would be for a goal of 1 pound per week, not 1/2 per week.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    what rate of loss did you choose when you set up your account? what daily activity setting did you pick?

I personally am currently set for 1 lb/week and use my FitBit (it logs my movement and adds exercise calories to my MFP totals when I've moved more in my day, if I move more...). Based on this info, the number MFP gives me is already 500 calories below my "maintenance" calories that I'd need to maintain the same weight. If I eat every calories MFP gives me, I will in theory lose 1lb per week.

However, on a day-to-day basis if I'm more hungry or less hungry I may eat above or below the target MFP gives me. But I look at the average "net" calories for the past week and see if I'm overall on average above or below my target (remembering that my target already includes a 500 calorie deficit).
  • JohnRybock
    JohnRybock Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I focus on both the total calories I consume and the amount I burn... I'm going for a set-amount of calories in a day, which is at a deficit so that my body burns the fat I've accumulated. So, if my goal is for 1500 calories in a day, and I burn 500, then I can eat 2000. A couple things - that doesn't mean for me "Yay, I can eat 500 cal of Ben & Jerry's", I still watch the fat, carb and protein balance. Secondly, if you don't "make up" for the exercise a little bit, you may find later exercise tougher in terms of strength and edurance, so less effective.
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do. Fitbit gave me reason to eat more and I feel better about it everyday. I don't have to deprive myself of good food anymore as long as I burn it at the end of the day. :lol:
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    srecupid wrote: »

if you set it as lightly active you get more calories anyway...unless you are sedentary and/or have a fitness tracker you shouldn't set your activity level to sedentary.

True but it seems like it would be better to just to add in the calories manually. I did have a couple activity trackers bit returned them. I have a mi band 2 coming on eventually so I can do my own adjustments. I don't know I'll eat at the level of sedentary and a few of the extra calories buy not all. I'm not actively trying to lose weight right now but am about 5 pounds over my original goal weight so if I continue to lose it wouldn't be too bad. Eventually I'll find a better way.
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Shazr2 wrote: »

I don't. I normally don't exercise until about 6pm and I don't feel hungry after that. I don't want to eat just because it says I've earned back calories. To me, the whole idea of working out is to get healthier and burn calories. Why burn a couple hundred calories on the treadmill only to eat it back?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I have MFP set to maintenance. I eat every single exercise calorie back, and I'm consistently, albeit very slowly, losing weight.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For me, i'm set on sedentary and I wear a fitbit when i'm leaving the house and exercising (never around the house for me, i don't move enough to count it as exercise). This helps me get a perspective of how much calories i can eat. I generally never eat more than 50% back. So, if i get 800kcal from fitbit, i'll eat about 100-400kcals back.
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat mine back. Now that I have the fitbit blaze, feel a bit more comfortable eating some back, but it's rare. I use the extra calories, usually about 500 a day to offset a few pretzels, vitamins or steak sauce on something, so those occasions might be 100 calories.