What supplements do you take?

Options
What supplements do you take daily. I want to start some as to help with overall health and there are some to help with lowering blood pressure.

Please share yours.

Thanks

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific deficiency, a simple multivitamin is more than enough.

If you are taking medications for high blood pressure, consult your doctor before taking any supplements, herbal or otherwise, as they can interact, suppress, or enhance the medicine's effects unpredictably.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    A lot of on the shelf multivitamins these days contain way less than what they say, in amount, and organic matter. I've used Garden of Life, and Mega Foods Multivitamins. Both are good, USDA Organic, Non GMO Certified, and more.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I take:
    - Garden of Life's Women's Once Daily 50 Billion
    - Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod-D Liquid fish oil
    - Get Real Nutrition's Real Omega Brain
    - Get Real Nutrition's Fermented Superjuice
    - Raspberry-Lemon Natural Calm
    - Nutra-Bio Vitamin C with Rosehips

Those are the regular ones, anyway. I take other supplements as needed, such as digestive enzymes or papaya enzymes when something that I ate doesn't agree with me, or Garden of Life's Sinus-something (I forgot the rest of the name!) when I'm sick and have sinus issues. Chestal Honey for when I'm congested. I take B-12 and Niacin on occasion, as well, although not every day.

Oh, and I sometimes will put a few spoons of spirulina or chlorella into my nightly smoothie if I feel that I haven't gotten enough greens.

As far as your high blood pressure goes...You really shouldn't mix stuff with your medication (if you're on any) until you talk to your doctor first. Combining some of these with high blood pressure medication can cause your blood pressure to drop too much, but here's my suggestions for supplements to help regulate blood pressure:
    - Magnesium (citrate, malate, glycenate, or chloride forms) - acts as a vasodilator, which makes blood flow more easily and causes blood pressure to lower as a result. Can also help alleviate stress, which can also lower blood pressure.
    - Hawthorn - Can help regulate blood pressure to normal levels in both ways (raise low blood pressure and lower high blood pressure).
    - Fish Oil/Omega 3's - Act as general anti-inflammatories, and are a good idea for anyone with cardiovascular issues to take. They can also thin blood a little bit, which can help it flow through veins and arteries more easily.

Sipping on tea made from hibiscus petals is another traditional alternative medicine treatment for high blood pressure. 2-3 cups throughout the day. You can sweeten it with a little honey, if you like.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using Pre and Post Jym, Vita Jym and ZMA Jym, I'm on the look out for a decent capsulated fish oil as Omega Jym isn't available in the UK. I've stuck with the one brand for pretty much all of my supplements (apart from protein powders) as imo it's a good range and highly rated. At my age I need all the help I can get to build muscle while shedding body fat
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I only take iron tablets now as I'm slightly anaemic, I get anything else I need from my diet.
    Foods high in potassium can help lower blood pressure, though I don't know how much you'd need daily or to what extent it would lower blood pressure.
  • Linda_Jaques
    Linda_Jaques Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I take magnesium citrate for cramps, vitamin C to aid recovery after exercise and hair skin and nails supplements (supermarket brand) for my hair skin and nails :)
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    A lot of on the shelf multivitamins these days contain way less than what they say, in amount, and organic matter. I've used Garden of Life, and Mega Foods Multivitamins. Both are good, USDA Organic, Non GMO Certified, and more.

Organic and non gmo items are a waste of money compared to the "traditional" version.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    1. Multivitamin
    2. B12 (per doctor's recommendation because I tend towards anemia but my numbers have stabilized so I no longer need more iron than what is in my daily multi)
    3. D3 (doctor recommended because of SAD)
    4. MSM (again, doctor recommended but for my joints)
    5. insoluble fiber (Dr. Natura Unifiber) (need it because I have to limit my fruits and starchy veggies as a diabetic)
    6. soluble fiber (vitafiber) (ditto)
  • TUMMUM55
    TUMMUM55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AdvoCare Spark and Catalyst Amino Acid. Multivitamin.

• Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Magnesium to help me sleep and I double the dose around my TOM to help ease cramps.

Lysine when I am run down/travelling a lot to stop me getting coldsores.
  • daniii756
    daniii756 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I simply just take a womans daily multivitamin, fish oil in pill form and vitamin b12 daily

While i workout i only sip on bcaas i dont take any pre work outs or fat burners or anything like that.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed deficient and have to take the following every day:
    Vitamin D 5,000iu
    B Complex + Folic Acid (this is prescription only)
    Spatone Iron Supplement

I also take the following at recommendation from my doctor;
    Krill oil or fish oil (I have dry eye/punctal plugs)
    Multi vitamin (just to make sure)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    I'm currently using Pre and Post Jym, Vita Jym and ZMA Jym, I'm on the look out for a decent capsulated fish oil as Omega Jym isn't available in the UK. I've stuck with the one brand for pretty much all of my supplements (apart from protein powders) as imo it's a good range and highly rated. At my age I need all the help I can get to build muscle while shedding body fat

If you're on the lookout I highly highly recommend omega red krill oil. The pill is tiny, doesn't get stuck in your throat, and is vanilla flavored so no fishy burps at all.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, 2 calcium+magnesium+zinc tablets, a B6 and D3. This combo (particularly the magnesium) has helped drastically reduce my chronic tension headaches among other things, in a short period of time (a couple weeks).
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I get everything I need from my diet, but on my doctor's recommendation I also take a calcium supplement and a fish oil capsule.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Prenatal vitamin, Biotin and Vitamin B6.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Just iron. Mines always low.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D 20000iu
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just your standard multivitamin. I prefer to get the rest from eating the right things
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Celltech