Having a hard time getting enough water

Options
I have been doing everything right except for getting enough water daily. I've been told I should drink around a gallon a day. I can barely get through 3 bottled waters a day. Is there anything anyone does that they believe helps them with making sure they meet a certain water intake requirement?

Replies

• hrosssm
    hrosssm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The type of water bottle makes a difference for me. I have a 32 oz hydroflask with a straw top. The straw top is crucial because I can easily drink one handed while holding a baby, driving, on my phone, etc... Also I feel like I drink more with each sip if I can swig a few times through the straw.
  • jnz17
    jnz17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of saving the half-gallon container that used to be iced tea from the grocery store, and it's super convenient to carry around. I just fill that with water when I'm doing anything (chores, studying, at work) and it's become a habit to drink it. Of course, be prepared to pee a lot.. I probably drink around 3 gal of water a day up from 6-8 glasses before I started doing this.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Do we really need that much water though? I usually don't want that much most of the time either. I also count all beverages as "water" so I think I am getting enough hydration, I hope lol
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For a time, I hated water so much I could barely drink one bottle a day. Now I'm up to at least a gallon a day. I have a 32oz timer bottle with little reminders to drink written on the back. I try to get through the bottle 3 times before I leave work. Personally, I found that using cups with straws prevented me from drinking as much. I tend to take larger sips and gulps with the big screw top on my timer bottle than I did with a straw top. In the evenings I take a big bottle of water with me to the gym and do not allow myself to leave until I finish it.

I also keep water everywhere. I have gallons of water at my desk, cases of it at home, an extra bottle in my gym bag, etc so I always have access. The colder the water, the more I'll drink. In the beginning I would use Crystal Light or Mio to get me drinking, but I don't need that anymore. Sometimes now I'll alternate plain water with iced tea to keep myself interested.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at getting the water in either. I can only drink it when its cold so the carrying a bottle around all day just doesn't work. I have a 14oz bottle at work that I drink out of it refill whenever it gets warm. At most I might drink 3 of them and some days 1 if I'm lucky. Just not a big drinker period.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Do we really need that much water though?

Typically, no.
    I usually don't want that much either most of the time. I also count all beverages as "water" so I think I am getting enough hydration lol

You're basically doing it right.

While 64 oz (eight 8 oz glasses) is generally recommended, it's just a generalization. As long as you're sufficiently hydrated, you're fine. For some people, they need more. Some people need less.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Using a straw helps
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    If you needed a gallon of water a day then you would be thirsty for a gallon of water a day. You need to stay hydrated. The amount of liquid you need to be hydrated will vary from person to person. You get hydrated from water that you drink and water in foods that you eat. It also come from other drinks such as tea and coffee and soft drinks. If you are thirsty drink something. If not then you are probably fine. Is your urine light yellow? Then you are fine. If it is dark then you are dehydrated and need to drink some more.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Get a good bottle, one that you will enjoy using, and keeps the liquid cold. I use a 40 ounce Pure Outdoors from Monoprice, which is a Hydroflask knock off, and try to drink at least 3 bottles a day. Also don't be afraid to put lime, lemon, strawberry, oranges, watermelon, or other fruits to flavor it, naturally.

You also have to consider that a Gallon of water is 16 cups of water, a grow mans recommended requirement is about 13 cups per day. And women is roughly 9 cups per day.

The other rule of thumb is .5 ounce per pound of body weight. A 200 pound person will require 100 ounces of water, while a 85 pound person will require 42.5 ounces.....
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    jnz17 wrote: »
    I have a habit of saving the half-gallon container that used to be iced tea from the grocery store, and it's super convenient to carry around. I just fill that with water when I'm doing anything (chores, studying, at work) and it's become a habit to drink it. Of course, be prepared to pee a lot.. I probably drink around 3 gal of water a day up from 6-8 glasses before I started doing this.

3 gallons!? Make sure you're not over hydrating...are you exercising a lot? Is that why you drink 3 gallons? Water poisoning is a thing, be careful!
  • Finally1502016
    Finally1502016 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What is "water poisoning "!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Drinking too much and getting sick.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

People have died from drinking too much water. It really is a thing. Basically, drinking too much water will flush the electrolytes like sodium and potassium out of your body.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

Basically you flood your system out. You remove electrolytes from your system, that your nerves and brain need to function. Along with other problems to follow. This is why Endurance Athletes make sure their water supply has Electrolytes in it from an additive to keep those levels up.

It is very real and and it can lead to a fatal condition.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The old 64oz a day recommendation was pulled from a report that got wildly misinterpreted. Theoretically, you could get all of your H20 from foods.

From there, things just escalated. If you're not thirsty, then you don't need more water. The "drink a gallon of water a day" is a fad.
  • amysuemartin718
    amysuemartin718 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A straw helps me a lot. I can drink 24oz without a problem.
  • darylarden
    darylarden Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had a problem drinking a gallon to start with after a few day no problem !
  • Finally1502016
    Finally1502016 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sounds like its all in the straw...... I'll try it.