Easy low cal recipes?

I find myself eating the same things over and over again. I really am not a cook, but I can follow a recipe :) Does anyone have any easy, low cal recipes? I really like fruit and I enjoy eggs...

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Omelette are easy. Whisk a couple of eggs with salt and pepper, heat a little oil or butter in a pan, then pour in the eggs. When they start to set on the bottom, pull the edges into the middle and tilt the pan so that new runny egg runs out to the edges. Do this a few times until there's no runny egg left but the middle is still a little wet. Sprinkle over some grated cheese (optional), fold in half and slide onto a plate. Let it sit for a moment to finish cooking and melt the cheese, then enjoy.

If you want veg in it, cook that in the pan first till softened, then take it out, cook your omelette and add the veg back in just before you fold it. Mushrooms are especially good. Things like cooked ham, or chicken can be added before folding, too.
  • FionaPlum
    FionaPlum Posts: 37 Member
    You could try the Courgette Fritata recipe on the MFP blog if you like eggs. I followed it with slight changes ( excluded Parmesan and added parsley, spring onion and a sliced chilli pepper instead). It came out great!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited June 2016
    FionaPlum wrote: »
    You could try the Courgette Fritata recipe on the MFP blog if you like eggs. I followed it with slight changes ( excluded Parmesan and added parsley, spring onion and a sliced chilli pepper instead). It came out great!

I make this too. I also make a variety of gratins in the oven:
    Whisk eggs with cottage cheese, some herbs (I use chives or parsley), then add some veg like courgette, or cauliflower, or broccoli. Put the whole thing in a casserole and bake. Very easy, very low calory, and good on protein cos of the cottage cheese. :)
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    I put all my low calorie dinners online http://skinnybitchblog.wordpress.com
    Perhaps ignore my latest post which was a maf chocolate cake but everything else there is a dinner under 400 calories most are under 300
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    My go-to dinners are a lean protein, a ton of veg, sometimes rice, and a chopped romaine salad. They all take pretty much no time at all, and are super easy :)

We make a big batch of jasmine rice, and throughout the week I weigh out 100g to heat up.

Meats: Baked salmon or baked haddock with lemon and fresh dill. Centre cut, bone-in pork chops with salt and pepper, and pan fried on either side until cooked through (it becomes almost buttery, and so delicious). Pan fried steaks, that are basted in a bit of butter right at the end. Chunks of chicken breast tossed in paprika, garlic powder, cumin, s&p, and pan fried - great in tortillas with lettuce and tzatziki, caesar salad, on their own... Chicken thighs tossed in spices and chili flakes, then brushed in a mix of honey and white wine vinegar and broiled until crispy (sweet and spicy).

Veg: Literally anything sprinkled with olive oil, salt and pepper, and cooked at 400*F until the desireable texture. My current obsession is asparagus, cooked for 20-25 min. Works well with brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots...

I also love lean ground turkey chili (with black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, mushrooms), turkey burgers (1 lb ground turkey + 1 diced onion, made into patties and baked in the oven. SO good and moist), chickpea stirfry (half a sliced zucchini, half a chinese eggplant, and whatever veg I have on hand, sauteed in soy sauce and rice vinegar. I stick the lid on the pan and let everything get soft. Then I add 100g chickpeas at the end)
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Oh also, my boyfriend makes a bibimbap-inspired savoury oatmeal with eggs that I'm always craving.

He toasts 1 cup oats in coconut oil until fragrant, and then boils them in water mixed with soy sauce and sriracha. Once they're cooked, he adds diced avocado, spicy seaweed flakes, and a fried egg right on top. Really filling.
  • emmadonaldson95
    My go-to dinners are a lean protein, a ton of veg, sometimes rice, and a chopped romaine salad. They all take pretty much no time at all, and are super easy :)

We make a big batch of jasmine rice, and throughout the week I weigh out 100g to heat up.

Aaaaah please be so so careful with this because when left after cooking rice can grow toxins such as bacillus cereus which can cause food poisoning and be very toxic making you really ill and because it's a toxin that makes you sick reheating cant stop it. It isn't hugely common but given that rice only takes 10 minutes to cook why risk it really.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    I've never heard of rice growing toxins.....??? I always make a big batch and eat on it all week and never had any trouble.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    I like to make a flatbread pizza. I put canned pizza sauce on a flatbread with chopped onions, peppers, mushrooms and grated cheese. Bake till veggies are soft (it's usually turning a little brown then). I add meat sometimes too if I can spare the calories. Flatbread is 90 calories, veggies and sauce are not very many, and cheese depends upon how much you put on it.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Frozen banana ice cream - cut up bananas and freeze, then blend/food process alone or with a few chocolate chips and/or peanut butter. You can also add a little liquid like almond milk, real milk/cream to speed up the process. It takes few minutes but the consistency is just like ice cream and flavor is amazing.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member

Aaaaah please be so so careful with this because when left after cooking rice can grow toxins such as bacillus cereus which can cause food poisoning and be very toxic making you really ill and because it's a toxin that makes you sick reheating cant stop it. It isn't hugely common but given that rice only takes 10 minutes to cook why risk it really.

The bacillus cereus bacteria may grow when rice is left at room temperature for hours. If you follow proper food hygiene, like you should with all food, and not leave it at room temperature for hours, but instead put it in the refrigerator, it's not going to grow. And I don't eat Minute Rice. It takes 30 minutes to cook non “instant" rice. I personally buy Jasmine, which tastes a million times better.

• emmadonaldson95

The bacillus cereus bacteria may grow when rice is left at room temperature for hours. If you follow proper food hygiene, like you should with all food, and not leave it at room temperature for hours, but instead put it in the refrigerator, it's not going to grow. And I don't eat Minute Rice. It takes 30 minutes to cook non “instant" rice. I personally buy Jasmine, which tastes a million times better.

Even in the refrigerator rice left more than 24 in there hours can still pose a real risk obviously the longer it is left out the greater the risk but why bother. If you start your rice cooking before you start the rest of your cooking it'll be ready in perfect time.
    I also buy Jasmine not the quick cook but the real rice and it takes 12 minutes from boiling water. If you're cooking for 30 it must be pure mush unless your water isnt boiling at the start or cooking.
  • hellsbelles2
    hellsbelles2 Posts: 1 Member
    You may also want to have a look at the Hairy Dieters recipes books. Great hearty, low cal meals. My bible(s) at the moment!
  • Wynterbourne

Even in the refrigerator rice left more than 24 in there hours can still pose a real risk obviously the longer it is left out the greater the risk but why bother. If you start your rice cooking before you start the rest of your cooking it'll be ready in perfect time.
    I also buy Jasmine not the quick cook but the real rice and it takes 12 minutes from boiling water. If you're cooking for 30 it must be pure mush unless your water isnt boiling at the start or cooking.

Sorry, but rice refrigerated promptly after cooking is perfectly safe for 4 to 6 days. And safe in the freezer for up to 6 months. Do some research. Also, I don't eat mush. Boil the rice for 18 - 20 minutes and then remove it from the heat, covered, for an additional 10 minutes. Perfectly cooked firm rice.
  • alisonkling
    alisonkling Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for all the ideas!
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member

Sorry, but rice refrigerated promptly after cooking is perfectly safe for 4 to 6 days. And safe in the freezer for up to 6 months. Do some research. Also, I don't eat mush. Boil the rice for 18 - 20 minutes and then remove it from the heat, covered, for an additional 10 minutes. Perfectly cooked firm rice.

Yes, it's good for 4-6 days in the fridge. Good indefinitely in the freezer. http://www.stilltasty.com/articles/view/71
  • Zerbiak
    Zerbiak Posts: 23 Member
    I would say any combination of Shrimp (High Protein), Spinach, Mushrooms and Green Vegetables is a go to Low Cal meal.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    I haven't read anything but my two favourites are a whole wheat english muffin with egg, avocado, and salsa or a ww flatbread with goat cheese, shrimp and steamed asparagus.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    crzyone wrote: »
    I've never heard of rice growing toxins.....??? I always make a big batch and eat on it all week and never had any trouble.

Rice is seriously dangerous if reheated, chances are you won't catch anything but if you do it can be deadly.
  • Wynterbourne
    edited June 2016
    scoii wrote: »
    crzyone wrote: »

Rice is seriously dangerous if reheated, chances are you won't catch anything but if you do it can be deadly.

Reheated rice that has been promptly and properly refrigerated is no more dangerous upon reheating than any other food that is promptly and properly stored. Just like any food that is not promptly and properly stored can grow bacteria. Just saying that 'rice is seriously dangerous if reheated' is complete and utter bull. Sorry.