Gaining weight NOT Losing it

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP check if anything in this chart applies to you. Also do you weigh and log everything you eat honestly and accurately? If someone isn't losing or gaining, the first place I look is their food logging, the answer is usually in there.
    rf2plid8kyl1.jpg
  • Yasmin163
    Yasmin163 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll do that now.
    I'm 5ft 4 and weigh 12st11
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    This was how well I've done up to last October. Now it's reversed and I'm gaining. efw29z0rj7h4.jpg
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Yasmin163 wrote: »
    I've just started using my fitness pal again. I gave up using it last year because I was static.
    Today for example my calorie goal was 1571 I managed 1234 cals.
    This is a good day. Sometimes I manage 1000 others 900 cals.
    I don't over eat I under eat if anything. I don't under estimate my calories
    I've been working out since 2011 and have gone from 14stone. My lowest was summer last year at 11st 12. But started creeping back up. I increase my exercise to 5 days a week from January to get it back on track but it's gone the opposite way and I've gain a stone (14lbs)
    I had the merina coil fitted in May last year and was worried that was why I was gaining so much so had it removed in March but my weight still going up.

Do you weigh all your food on a food scale? If not, I guarantee you are over eating.
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    Yes I made a point of buying a scales and for everything I need to weigh then its weighed out. I don't eat much that needs weighing. But I have 40g of porridge oats made with water every morning without fail. 150g of whole grain rice every other day with grilled chicken portion the other day it will be either a salad bowl as in my diary or 150g wholegrain pasta with 200g homemade tomatoe sauce with fresh chilli. I don't eat potato. I do have the odd take takeout but I mean odd one. Once a month would be alot.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing it, you're estimating it. Weigh everything.
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    I've just detailed above everything that I eat that needs to be weighed???
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    If you were checked by a doctor, you are simply eating more than you think. You're either underestimating calories and/or overestimating your burns.

^ This

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

It was the qualification of "that needs to be weighed" that threw me. Are you weighing everything?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Weigh EVERYTHING!!!
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    Other than what I've detailed above everything else is pre measured. Eggs. Slice of bread. Steamed veg. Thats pretty much my whole diet. No jar foods/sauces other than the tomatoe sauce. I dont know what else Id weigh lol
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    The options are:

1) you are not in a calorie deficit

2) you have an abnormally low metabolism

3) you have some other medical condition

Out of the three, the first is the most likely, especially if you have already been checked out by the doctor and are okay. I had a look at your diary and you've only logged today?

Try logging for a month, and see if you really are eating as little as you think.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Other than what I've detailed above everything else is pre measured. Eggs. Slice of bread. Steamed veg. Thats pretty much my whole diet. No jar foods/sauces other than the tomatoe sauce. I dont know what else Id weigh lol

Weigh everything you put in your mouth.
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    Weigh eggs? Really??
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    And if it comes down to it being the second or third option - then you'll have to shrug and go, gah, guess I need to re-evaluate how I create my calorie deficit so I can lose weight.

I do understand how that feels. It's totally disheartening to know that you don't lose at the same rate as others, and that there are people who can eat an amount that seems staggering and still lose, which would add weight for you. But we're all different. Different height, different composition, different activity level outside the gym.

If you aren't losing, even if it seems you should be, then you need to reevaluate how much you can increase your calorie deficit. And that's the bottom line.
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    The options are:

Out of the three, the first is the most likely, especially if you have already been checked out by the doctor and are okay. I had a look at your diary and you've only logged today?

Try logging for a month, and see if you really are eating as little as you think.

Yes I've started back on it today. Back last year I did it every day. But came to a complete stand still. Carried on doing what I was doing until January then increased my exercise to 5 days instead of 3. Only thing I have changed is increased my exercise.

I have made an appoint back with GP to get my thyroid levels checked again - but want to know the exact levels this time. If they are on the low side of normal, this can impact badly on my metabolism.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Weigh eggs? Really??

I draw the line at weighing eggs, that's the one and only thing I don't weigh though. Everything else, packaged or fresh gets weighed and logged.
    Definitely do not trust the serving size/weight of packaged foods, they usually weigh more than the packet says, so make sure and use a food scale for those as well.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    The options are:

Yes I've started back on it today. Back last year I did it every day. But came to a complete stand still. Carried on doing what I was doing until January then increased my exercise to 5 days instead of 3. Only thing I have changed is increased my exercise.

I have made an appoint back with GP to get my thyroid levels checked again - but want to know the exact levels this time. If they are on the low side of normal, this can impact badly on my metabolism.

Or you could stop looking for outside factors to blame and actually commit to accurate logging.

But I guess insisting you have a medical condition makes more sense....