Gaining weight NOT Losing it

Options

Replies

• Yasmin163
    Yasmin163 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    And if it comes down to it being the second or third option - then you'll have to shrug and go, gah, guess I need to re-evaluate how I create my calorie deficit so I can lose weight.

I do understand how that feels. It's totally disheartening to know that you don't lose at the same rate as others, and that there are people who can eat an amount that seems staggering and still lose, which would add weight for you. But we're all different. Different height, different composition, different activity level outside the gym.

If you aren't losing, even if it seems you should be, then you need to reevaluate how much you can increase your calorie deficit. And that's the bottom line.

Its so frustrating. My friend I train with eats more junk food and crap in one day than I do in a 3 months easy and she's lost 1 1/2 stone in the same time I've added a stone and we exercise the same. I must be catching her weight loss lol
    Think I may try her diet instead :-)
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    Well it's that or keep putting weight on?

It seriously did not cross my mind to weigh a slice of bread or an egg. :-/
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    What does your daily nutrition look like? Maybe your portions are out of balance and that is throwing you off. Lean protein and veggies should be the bulk of your daily intake. Next would be lower sugar fruits like berries, then complex carbs then healthy fats.
    Not true, sorry. A calorie is a calorie. I've lost 85lbs eating nutritious foods as well as my favourite foods and snacks.
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Yasmin163 wrote: »
    I've just detailed above everything that I eat that needs to be weighed???

Weigh EVERYTHING!!!
    Yep. Everything. Prepackaged pre weighed foods, eggs, cooking oil, bread slices... Anything that you eat must be weighed and logged accurately (choose food database entires that reflect the packaging of the food as well as the weight you entered.)
    Weigh eggs? Really??
    Yes. Eggs aren't the same size. In a carton of large eggs I recently weighed, the weight of the eggs ranged from 55g to 78g, so yes, weigh them too. Weigh everything.
    And if it comes down to it being the second or third option - then you'll have to shrug and go, gah, guess I need to re-evaluate how I create my calorie deficit so I can lose weight.

I do understand how that feels. It's totally disheartening to know that you don't lose at the same rate as others, and that there are people who can eat an amount that seems staggering and still lose, which would add weight for you. But we're all different. Different height, different composition, different activity level outside the gym.

If you aren't losing, even if it seems you should be, then you need to reevaluate how much you can increase your calorie deficit. And that's the bottom line.

Its so frustrating. My friend I train with eats more junk food and crap in one day than I do in a 3 months easy and she's lost 1 1/2 stone in the same time I've added a stone and we exercise the same. I must be catching her weight loss lol
    Since you aren't with her 24/7 you wouldn't know. Perhaps she is more active during the day outside of exercise. Is she the exact height, weight and age as you? This makes a difference as well.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Well it's that or keep putting weight on?

It seriously did not cross my mind to weigh a slice of bread or an egg. :-/

Hehe I know, it seems odd when the pack will say "per slice" or whatever. Those are factory averages though, and none of your slices might weigh what it says. I assume (because you weigh in stones) that you're in the UK, if so every package has the nutrition per 100g so you can calculate it easily...once you weigh it ;-)

Same goes for those crackers too! Weigh everytheeeeeeng.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    And double-check the entries in the database too! They're not all correct! I create my own entries in the My Food tab, using the information on the pack. Be persistent and consistent, and the weight will come off.
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    What does your daily nutrition look like? Maybe your portions are out of balance and that is throwing you off. Lean protein and veggies should be the bulk of your daily intake. Next would be lower sugar fruits like berries, then complex carbs then healthy fats.
    Not true, sorry. A calorie is a calorie.

Weigh EVERYTHING!!!
    Yep. Everything. Prepackaged pre weighed foods, eggs, cooking oil, bread slices... Anything that you eat must be weighed and logged accurately (choose food database entires that reflect the packaging of the food as well as the weight you entered.)
    Weigh eggs? Really??
    Yes. Eggs aren't the same size. In a carton of large eggs I recently weighed, the weight of the eggs ranged from 55g to 78g, so yes, weigh them too. Weigh everything.

Since you aren't with her 24/7 you wouldn't know. Perhaps she is more active during the day outside of exercise. Is she the exact height, weight and age as you? This makes a difference as well.

She is 5ft 5 I'm 5ft 4 same age (I'm 2 months older lol) we were the same weight...she's now stone 1/2 lighter than me. She's a hairdresser and I teach exercise therapy so both pretty much on our feet all day. But I know everyone is different so I'm not using this as a serious example.
  • deano2307
    deano2307 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Outside of the gym.. are you quite active in your everyday life. i.e is you day job quite active?
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    Yes I teach exercise therapy. So other than my own fitness I take older adults, so not high impact but body weight exercises. Thats 4 days a week
  • deano2307
    Options
    have you tried to 5:2 diet (Michael Mosley diet).. as seen on BBC's horizon works for most.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Not true, sorry. A calorie is a calorie.

Weigh EVERYTHING!!!
    Weigh eggs? Really??

She is 5ft 5 I'm 5ft 4 same age (I'm 2 months older lol) we were the same weight...she's now stone 1/2 lighter than me. She's a hairdresser and I teach exercise therapy so both pretty much on our feet all day. But I know everyone is different so I'm not using this as a serious example.
    It's not worth to compare yourself with someone else. Like I said, at home your friend may be a bee. Who knows? Check out the video queenliz99 posted.. That video helped me to finally go out and buy a food scale!

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @Yasmin163, the only things you eat that need to be weighed are the things you eat. Everything you eat. The words you have used indicate that you are impatient with the details of doing this correctly. A stone since Christmas works out to a very small 100 or 200 calorie surplus. Could it be an energy drink at the gym you're forgetting to log? Could it be a few weekends you've been too busy to measure or log?
  • deano2307
    Options
    Yes I teach exercise therapy. So other than my own fitness I take older adults, so not high impact but body weight exercises. Thats 4 days a week

Blimey.. you should be the size of a racing snake!! go back to your GP..or a nutritionist.
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    deano2307 wrote: »
    have you tried to 5:2 diet (Michael Mosley diet).. as seen on BBC's horizon works for most.

I have been tempted but was hoping that a complete lifestyle change would be better. It worked up until October - now I don't know why its gone so wrong. I though increasing my exercise would be key but obviously not. I've only ever measured certain foods before and its never been an issue but obviously it is now. So will try measuring everything exactly from now on
  • Yasmin163
    Options
    @Yasmin163, the only things you eat that need to be weighed are the things you eat. Everything you eat. The words you have used indicate that you are impatient with the details of doing this correctly. A stone since Christmas works out to a very small 100 or 200 calorie surplus. Could it be an energy drink at the gym you're forgetting to log? Could it be a few weekends you've been too busy to measure or log?

I really thought I was being strict. I don't touch energy drinks ever, soft drinks occasionally maybe twice a month. 2 alcoholic drinks since August last year. I am extremely bad at drinking water. I'll drink a bottle in the gym but that's it all day. I work out 5 days - tried mixing cardio and weights, tried no weights just cardio, its just all messed up since Christmas. Its bonkers :-(