High Protein Diet

Hi guys! I was looking into body types and did some research, so I was considering doing a high protein, low carb diet for a change. I have trouble with how much protein I should be consuming for weight loss. Some sources say I should consume 1 gram per body weight but that is a lot for me to fit in a day! (I weigh at 157). Are there any tips you can offer? Thanks!

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Generally, the recommendation is 1lb of LBM (lean body mass) or .8 g protein per lb of body weight.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    .8 per lb is also sufficient for most people
  • dlbrabazon
    dlbrabazon Posts: 2 Member
    Maybe the keto calculator would be of some benefit to you. Whilst you're not aiming to do a ketogenic diet, the calculator is pretty good at identifying your minimum protein intake according to your sex/age/height/weight and level of activity.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    1g/ lb is used by those doing a lot of weights. Chances are to get all the protein you're trying to ingest, you'll need protein powders.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Macros are inferior to calories for weight loss. Eat what you want, in a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eat enough protein because that is the smart thing to do. But weight loss does not depend on the amount of protein. As long as you are logging and counting calories you will lose weight.
  • Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    dlbrabazon wrote: »
    Maybe the keto calculator would be of some benefit to you. Whilst you're not aiming to do a ketogenic diet, the calculator is pretty good at identifying your minimum protein intake according to your sex/age/height/weight and level of activity.

Me likee
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    The estimates of recommended protein intake that USA and UK rely on are very general. There is loads of research out there that says we don't need as much protein as the medics advise. MFP had a protein tracker, so you have a good ready reckoner, but there are other ways of judging it for yourself.
    Sorry to get personal, but the simple way to know if you have enough protein is to notice if you are pooing regularly. That's how a lot of excess protein is excreted from the body. The other indicator is your hair, which is composed mainly of protein and is also an excellent general indicator of health. The first inch of growth represents approximately 1month of nutrients. Bouncy shiny hair means you've been eating enough protein.
  • Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    edited June 2016
    Data garbage in = garbage out. I work with tons of data as a job. It can be manipulated, edited, obiliterated to "prove" anything most things in excess are either stored or pooed or peed, so what???