Eating to compensate for burned calories?

Options
Hi,
I'm new. My name is Beth. My question is- If I burn 300 calories at the gym, do I get to then eat 300 calories more? I remember when I was on Weight Watchers, they said that the more you exercised, the more points you earned to eat, but you didn't have to. To me, it seems counterproductive, however I don't know if that is healthy because then instead of eating 1600 calories a day, I'm only eating 1300? So confusing! lol..

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    i think it is counteproductive.
    so i only eat them if i am starving..
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    There are 405892589 posts about this exact topic. I suggest you search for "exercise calories". There is a wealth of available opinion.
  • laurenmelissaj
    Options
    If you're trying to stick to 1600 calories, then you should eat to compensate for calories burned because your NET calories should be 1600. However, as long as your net calories are above 1200, you don't NEED to eat extra.

EG,
    IF you want to NET 1600 calories per day, but have burned 300 working out, then you need to eat 1900 calories.
    If you don't eat this extra, then your net calories will be 1300.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I did two two week tests. One fortnight I didn't eat back my exercise calories and only lost 500gms for the whole fortnight.

The following fortnight I did eat them back and lost 2.1kg for the fortnight.

I think you can only do whats right for yourself. I looked at all the advice on here, then did the test to come to my own conclusions for my own body. :flowerforyou:
  • jhuguez
    jhuguez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was counterproductive too, until I really started to analyze it. Just by being alive, I burn 1800 calories a day but only eat 1200 on MyFitnessPal. So I am going to lose weight without exercise. So for me, if I burn 400 calories in a day, which I do at least 4 days per week, and I don't eat my burned calories then I only get 800 calories which is not healthy. For me, I always eat some of my calories burned, but rarely eat all of them.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I only eat them if I get really hungry but usually I never eat back my exercise calories
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    I did two two week tests. One fortnight I didn't eat back my exercise calories and only lost 500gms for the whole fortnight.

The following fortnight I did eat them back and lost 2.1kg for the fortnight.

I think you can only do whats right for yourself. I looked at all the advice on here, then did the test to come to my own conclusions for my own body. :flowerforyou:

Useful research and good advice.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I've earned them so I'm eating them!