Is this excessive or am I unevolved? Professionals please r

Options
I just read a post that went something like this...

" Is this okay to do every day?

30 minute run
45 minutes of Zumba
1 hour of weights
30 minutes on trampoline
45 minutes TaeBo"

What?! Who DOES that? That's three and a half hours of intense exercise! Every day? Not to mention driving or running here and there to participate in these different activities. :noway:

I want to get healthy and fit, but this is completely beyond my comprehension. This same person eats next to nothing and admits much of what they do eat is junk. I am completely boggled. How does one get to this point and why? This behaviour looks more like a disorder than a drive to be healthy and others on this site were encouraging this person! Am I so far removed from that level of fitness and am I so unevolved in my own weight loss process that I am incapable of comprehending it? Is this really what it takes to be fit and healthy? :huh: Is my own expectation too low? I imagine myself at my ideal weight being willing and able to do about 30 to 60 minutes of intense exercise a day. I can't ever imagine myself wanting to do more than that. I get the whole endorphin thing. I do an elliptical trainer 20-25 minutes a day and I really enjoy the feeling I get. But three and a half hours? Maybe a hike to a specific destination, but three and a half hours or more of intense workouts? What?! Am I alone?

I'd appreciate hearing from professionals.

Hollycat
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It seems excessive to me, but as long as you are fueling your body properly (eat your exercise calories) you should be fine.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    if you sit home and have no kids/job/social life then it might be doable
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, it sounds a bit overboard. I can't imagine doing intense exercise like that daily. Maybe once in awhile a hike or a day at the lake swimming (but that wouldnt be intense, LOL)......I think your expectations of doing 30-60 mins a day seem reasonable
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Oh, you're not alone! I can't fathom a universe in which someone is capable of or willing to do all that, let alone to enjoy it! And are they really going to do that for the rest of their life??? I figure that I will do what I can for as long as I'm getting results and when I stop getting results I'll find a way to change it up in a way that I can fit into my life. I'll NEVER be that type of person, but that doesn't mean I can't achieve success in my own way - slow & steady, with everything in moderation.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not a professional my Dad has done a lot of research and talks to a lot of experts on exercise science. I've learned a lot from him.

You have to vary your routine to get the best results and avoid injury. You can't do the same thing day after day after day and not get injured. This is why weight lifters vary the muscle groups that they work and also have rest days for their muscles to heal.

My teacher at my gym will often teach two different classes in a row in a single day. But she does not do that every single day of the week. People that work in my particular gym tend to burn more calories than the average person, but they also eat healthfully to support their calorie burn (many are nutrition experts as well).
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options

30 minute run
    45 minutes of Zumba
    1 hour of weights
    30 minutes on trampoline
    45 minutes TaeBo"

What?! Who DOES that? That's three and a half hours of intense exercise! Every day? Not to mention driving or running here and there to participate in these different activities. :noway:

I want to get healthy and fit, but this is completely beyond my comprehension. This same person eats next to nothing and admits much of what they do eat is junk. I am completely boggled. How does one get to this point and why? This behaviour looks more like a disorder than a drive to be healthy and others on this site were encouraging this person! Am I so far removed from that level of fitness and am I so unevolved in my own weight loss process that I am incapable of comprehending it? Is this really what it takes to be fit and healthy? :huh: Is my own expectation too low? I imagine myself at my ideal weight being willing and able to do about 30 to 60 minutes of intense exercise a day. I can't ever imagine myself wanting to do more than that. I get the whole endorphin thing. I do an elliptical trainer 20-25 minutes a day and I really enjoy the feeling I get. But three and a half hours? Maybe a hike to a specific destination, but three and a half hours or more of intense workouts? What?! Am I alone?

Hollycat

I'm with you Hollycat. I have a job, family and many other things going on in my life ~ dedicating that much time would be impossible. I was "that person" in my early 20's working out 3-4 hours per day but it's not something you can stick with long term!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It is within the realm of possibility, but probably excessive for most people. There is something called Exorexia which applies to people who exercise too much, but I don't think it's considered a medical term yet. Exorexia often accompanies anorexia.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I think this is excessive, I believe an hour a day of varied exercise is best. If you go on a hike as someone mentioned or spend half a day doing something active it is good and I think your body will benefit as long as you provide the right fuel but as far as that much everyday I feel that is too much!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm not a professional, but here's my two cents:

What makes you think this is 3 1/2 hours of *intense* activity?

If done correctly, Zumba and Taebo are medium to high intensity, and everything else depends very strongly on the person doing it.

For a lot of people, 1 hour of gym = maybe 20 minutes actually lifting weights and the rest spent talking to people.

Same with the run, I'd be more curious to see how far they happen to 'run' in 30 minutes.

Not saying this person might not be insane enough to do 3 1/2 hours of intense exercise, but its more likely that maybe 45 min - 1 hour is actually intense, and as exercise time goes up, intensity level drops dramatically.

Especially on a lowered calorie diet.

IMO, the only people you'll see doing more than two hours of medium intensity exercise, or any equivalent of, are people being paid very well to put in large amounts of work.

Just keep following MFP, maintain your metabolism, and stick it out =]
  • maxsdad9
    maxsdad9 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Definitely an Endorphin Addict. What you are doing for exercise is fine. I never understood Ultra Marathoners, but to each their own.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Before i went back to work I ran 3 days a week for 45 - 60 minutes, went to a step aerobics class (including the ones I taught) 3 - 4 days a week (60 minutes each) went to a weight lifting class (including the ones I taught) 3 days a week (60 minutes each), would take a spinning class 2 days a week, and tried to get something else in there too (yoga, stretch, pilates, Athletic conditioning). So thats: a minimum of 9:45 in a 5 day period without the bonus time (I always take off Sunday). It really depends on your body. Because of my body and fitness level I have to work out in excess to get a good solid burn. Unfortunately the smaller you are, the more efficient you are, and the harder it is to get a decent calorie burn.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

30 minute run
    45 minutes of Zumba
    1 hour of weights
    30 minutes on trampoline
    45 minutes TaeBo"

Hollycat

I am not a professional but i look at that and dont really think its too excessive. This is an example of a normal workout week for me

Monday- AM ; lift (45- 50 min), Turbo Fire PM: Run 5-6 miles, Softball game
    Tuesday - AM: Insanity, Turbo Fire HIIT PM: Insanity Asylum, Abs, Softball game
    Wed- AM: lift ( 45-50min), Insanity Asylum PM: Run 5-6 miles
    Thurs- AM: Turbo Fire HIIT, PM: Insanity or Insanity Asylum
    Fri- AM: lift (45-50min), Turbo Fire PM: Run 5-6 miles, Softball double header
    Sat- Turbo Fire HIIT, Insanity or Insanity Asylum, Run 6 miles

I normally take sundays off. And I eat about 2000-2200 calories a day ( I am 6'2")
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I think it's a bit gross that you started a thread just to rip on another member of this site.

But I'm not a professional.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I think it's a bit gross that you started a thread just to rip on another member of this site.

But I'm not a professional.

Gotta agree.
  • StrengthCoach0702
    StrengthCoach0702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Why someone would train for 3 hours a day if they were not an athlete is beyond me. Just move for 45-75 minutes a day and you'll be ahead of 85% of the population. Do whats right for you and your goals, and ignore this type of stuff that makes you side- tracked and confused.
  • Somnifac
    Somnifac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Why someone would train for 3 hours a day if they were not an athlete is beyond me.

Maybe they enjoy it? Crazy thought, I know.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    To each thier own, I have no desire (and not even sure I could if I did) to exercise for 3-3.5 hrs a day, every day. Not enough hours in the day for that.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    Why someone would train for 3 hours a day if they were not an athlete is beyond me. Just move for 45-75 minutes a day and you'll be ahead of 85% of the population. Do whats right for you and your goals, and ignore this type of stuff that makes you side- tracked and confused.

Maybe because some people enjoy it? Maybe because some people are good at it?
  • StrengthCoach0702
    StrengthCoach0702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good at what? Overtraining? What is this persons goal of doing all these activities? Risk/Reward...Greater risk in training like that, then the reward you will get out of it.