BF Estimate? Starting Bulk

Options
Hey,

This is about the third time I am attempting to bulk. Everytime I get discouraged and sort of back off without gaining. I lost about 60lbs three years ago and want to actually be successful this time! I'm weighing all good and am get accurate scale weights to start. However, I would like a definitive BF estimate. I have been told I am 10.3% by scales in Complete Nutrition, but I cannot see my abs. But this could very well be due to some loose skin around the abdomen (I can pull it) as I can feel the abs underneath (and I think they are a bit underdeveloped). Could I pm someone a few picks to give me an estimate?

Thanks!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you can post them in here...
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    you can post them in here...

Thanks
    id1wsx9hnxgx.jpeg
    p1on59lc6qtp.jpeg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would probably bulk and follow that with a cut.
  • dpr73
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

That's what I think too. Do you have a general idea of my BF?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »

That's what I think too. Do you have a general idea of my BF?

12% ish. But body composition is the main reason you dont really have abs. Its possible thr muscle isn't developed. Either way, you can probably benefit from a good bulk.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    12-14% I'd say.

Bulk.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    10-12%. It's kinda hard to tell. You look lean, but lacking musculature. Then again, you might not be quite as lean as you look. My ribs show up like that, sort of, but I'm up around 18% or so, so it gets tricky.

In either case, yes - a bulk would probably be good.
  • dpr73
    Options
    I agree on the bulk. However, As a former fat kid...I still get some concern about it. If I do it slow with a small surplus (thinking 2800 calories or so) would fat gain be minimal (i.e. At the top of my bulk will I be able to avoid looking out of shape)?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I agree on the bulk. However, As a former fat kid...I still get some concern about it. If I do it slow with a small surplus (thinking 2800 calories or so) would fat gain be minimal (i.e. At the top of my bulk will I be able to avoid looking out of shape)?

Bulk until you dont like how you look. And you can always do multiple cycles.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Post up your bulking plan.
  • JKI19
    JKI19 Posts: 91 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Right on 10/11% IMO. Time for a good clean bulk bro!
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I feel like us former fat kids worry to much when bulking. Just lift hard and eat about 400 cals in surplus. You won't look out of shape it would take months of neglect to body and diet to gain any real wieght in terms of fat.
  • dpr73
    Options

so 4 days a week following a workout on bodybuilding.com and on rest days HIIT. My calories are 219 Pro, 343 Carb, 60 fat. I have mostly been hitting goals except I like protein rich foods and often go over the goal a bit and my fat sometimes falls a few grams under...

• psuLemon
    Options

so 4 days a week following a workout on bodybuilding.com and on rest days HIIT. My calories are 219 Pro, 343 Carb, 60 fat. I have mostly been hitting goals except I like protein rich foods and often go over the goal a bit and my fat sometimes falls a few grams under...

I would drop protein in favor for fast. You only need ~1g per lb of lean body mass. So take 90% of your weight and eat that in grams of protein. Fat is beneficial as it helps uptake nutrients and regulates hormones, which includes testosterone.
  • dpr73
    edited June 2016
    Options

I would drop protein in favor for fast. You only need ~1g per lb of lean body mass. So take 90% of your weight and eat that in grams of protein. Fat is beneficial as it helps uptake nutrients and regulates hormones, which includes testosterone.

Okay, thanks for that suggestion! I have been having a few meals with protein and fat (like cup of Greek yogurt with PB or PB sandwich...my breakfasts consist of three eggs) but do you have other satisfying ways to get the fat in? I am not completely opposed to eating 2 tbsp of PB but if there are other products that are higher in healthy fat that I could easily incorporate into a snack/meal I would prefer that...my protein is so high mostly because I like having snacks of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt during the day

• psuLemon
    Options
    Increase dairy fats (use 2 or whole compared to light). Fatty cuts of meat. I love yogurt covered raisins, avocado, and nuts.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You're in a good spot to bulk regardless of what the actual % is.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You don't have abs because you haven't built them yet. Go on a regular bulk (TDEE+500 calories) or a slow bulk if you are scared of fat gains (TDEE+250 calories). Be sure to include abs exercises 2 to 3 times a week. Abs are built in the gym on a bulk (surplus plus abs exercises), then revealed on a cut (deficit plus abs exercises).

Bulk up to around 15% (18% tops, otherwise you get too much fat), then cut back down to 10-12%.

For abs workout, I'd recommend any combination of: hanging leg raises / captain chair, abs rollouts from your knees, plank / weighted plank, cable crunches, dragon flag (progression, you won't be able to do it off the bat).

CHEERS!
  • dpr73
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys! I'm targeting abs 2-3 times a week at the end of workouts and really weighing everything (cause in the past this is what would trip me up in hitting my goals). So far this week my weight has held relatively steady so I may need to increase another 200 cals or so to see the scale rise
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I feel like us former fat kids worry to much when bulking. Just lift hard and eat about 400 cals in surplus. You won't look out of shape it would take months of neglect to body and diet to gain any real wieght in terms of fat.

Not sure if I agree with that. Depends on your age and metabolism. I know for me, I used to be a "hard gainer" couldn't put on lbs at all trying everything then as I got older I found it not only easy to put on fat but difficult to actually lose fat too. From experience I learned that at least for me if your caloric surplus is too high and you gain weight too quickly it will be more fat than muscle. Slow and steady is always the key