Losing Fat/weight with swimming?

Options
2»

Replies

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Swimming is one of the best workouts out there. No stress or impact on your joints and it is a great cardio workout. I used to swim actively 1 + mile 2 to 3 times a week. Unfortunately I didn't lose weight during that period.

It still comes down to basically you have to eat less calories than your body consumes. If you do that you'll lose weight if you don't you'll either maintain or gain weight. You can swim 2 miles a day and if you eat more calories than your body consumes you will gain weight. Yes you would have to eat a lot more calories but the principal still goes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    RuchikaPal wrote: »
    And I really wanNa figure out which is the best activityto investmy time and money into.

There is no best activity. Or at least no best activity other than maybe for you.

To lose weight you are trying to burn calories (although you can end up in the same place by just eating less), and ideally to lose more fat and less muscle and look better when you are finished you are trying to improve fitness. Swimming is a good activity for that, but so are many others. One positive thing about swimming, if you do it seriously, like laps and drills and such, is that it's not only cardio, but also an activity that has some of the benefits of strength training. AND it's low impact and something you can (eventually) do most days, both advantages vs. something like running for a beginner.

On the other hand, unless you are a really good swimmer, something like running likely burns more calories per hour (I know it does for me). You need to be careful with the calorie counts too -- I'd look at ones based on distance and time, not perceived exertion. Even if I think I swam hard I usually log something more moderate, because I am slow.

Ultimately the calories it burns doesn't really matter for the question of whether you should do it, though -- what matters is what activity will you do consistently and enjoy? If the answer is swimming, then swimming is a great weight loss activity for you (assuming you watch the calories and don't eat more than you burn when swimming). If you pick something you hate because it burns tons of calories and then never want to do it, that won't work.

I have had the same experience as others of finishing a swim and being ravenous, something that doesn't happen to me with other exercise. I didn't find it a problem, since I usually swim just before breakfast or just before dinner. I don't eat more food than I otherwise would and am fine. It makes me want to eat right away, but doesn't make my appetite harder to satisfy.

So basically count calories and eat at a calorie deficit. If you want to exercise so you can do that while eating a more reasonable amount and get fit also, swimming is one of many good choices -- what matters is what you will like.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calories are king. Exercise can help create a deficit though.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You can swim all you like but if you aren't eating in deficit (taking in less than you burn) you wont lose weight....
  • eileenmccaskey
    eileenmccaskey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If swimming is the exercise that you want to do, it will help because you enjoy it and don't have to talk yourself into it. As you get more into it add other exercises. Giving yourself the best chance to succeed is to find what exercise you enjoy.