Cardio or strength training. Pick a side!

Options
I'm just not into cardio these days. I injured my foot and it's taking forever to heal. I feel like the low impact modifications I can do during cardio make it too easy. And I just don't like cardio. I get bored, I don't like getting too sweaty, it messes up my hair. Silly, yes, but that's how I feel.

What are your thoughts on sticking solely with strength training? Can one still lose weight with only strength training? I work out five to six days a week. I do walk a lot. I have a dog so I average two hours a day walking. (Lucky dog) I'm trying to lose about five pounds.

Replies

• wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    You loose weight with your diet.

Well they say you diet to lose weight and look good in your jeans. But you exercise to look good naked. I want both! ☺
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do both then, do what you love.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I do both but if I could only do one it would be strength training. I sweat like a dog regardless of the type of workout so my hair always gets messed up!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i started only strength training after my knee injury and had to stop running. i gained 25 pounds but i dont care because i'm in beast mode now and love lifting. but i also eat, a lot.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything I've achieved physique wise has been done with diet and strength training. When I was pretty fat I did cardio for like an hour or two total per week but I cut it out pretty early. I normally would say you don't have to pick sides, but...I definitely pick strength training and body building. I have no cardio goals. I run across the street when the light is changing or scurry up the subway stairs for heart health
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I've never really had fun with strength training, I do it because it's good for me. I do cardio because that's a side effect of having fun.
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Personally I need both to stay in good shape. I did only strength training for ages and I lost weigjt, felt fitter etc but when I added three cardio sessions a week the results really just took off. I do 3 days of each alternating and have a rest day on Sunday. In the best shape I've been in for years.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Currently only strength training on a slow bulk. Even as the scale climbs, the pants get looser. A good balance is best though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If I had to pick between the two, I would do strength training. It provides much better results (given an equal diet) visually than just cardio.

But both should be done because they work different parts of your body (cardiovascular vs skeletal).
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If I could do only one thing? Jazzercise, probably. That kept me aerobically fit and built really nice and skinny, and it was so much fun it felt really good to do. There are some pushups and stuff but it's mostly cardio and weights so light they can't do much of anything.

I am vey happy now to be stronger, it's cool, but as far as looks and health I am not sure that anything trumps aerobic fitness and low body fat and workouts you really find enjoyable and fun, mentally satisfying?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Strength training over cardio every time! But, I seriously began to lose weight when I bought and began to faithfully use a food scale.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you only want to strength train, then you should do it. You don't "have" to do cardio if you hate it. Plus, you are already walking a lot. You will lose weight by eating in a calorie deficit, regardless of the type of exercise you do.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that the daily walks are enough. (Combined with eating right and weight lifting.) I was ok with running for the last few years but this foot injury really has me sidelined. A big part of not wanting to do cardio is also the fact that I cant physically push myself as hard as I used to. It makes me feel like, why bother? Honestly, it's a little depressing. Even though I don't like doing cardio, the fact that I can't really do it right now stinks. I want it to be my choice!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Cardio for me - as I'm primarily interested in losing weight at the moment (i.e. running along with having a calorie deficit). Once I've got my weight down a bit I might start doing some strength stuff.
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    SkinnyFatBGone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    Cardio for me - as I'm primarily interested in losing weight at the moment (i.e. running along with having a calorie deficit). Once I've got my weight down a bit I might start doing some strength stuff.

Same.