How do I become a real runner? Why do I hate it still?

Options
Trying really hard to learn to love running...I know its mostly just getting a routine going but I could really use some support and advice on how to go from being a reluctant jogger to a hard core runner's runner who does 10 miles for fun. How do i build up to that? How fast is too fast to build? How do I prevent injury? How do I know when enough is enough vs. being wimpy and needing to push harder? (currently run maaaybe 3 times a week if i'm doing well, and I go 2 miles at about a 12 min. mile) I also walk literally everday rain or shine for a total of about 3 miles (1.5 at work during lunch and 1.5 with my fat dog who also hates to run)

Replies

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to be a runner?
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My mom and sister are both super hard core runners, and I would really like to be able to trail run with them and do 10k races. I also think that it is a great way to build endurance, and probably the best cardio I can do without a gym membership. I like the challenge of it and I like getting "in the zone" and find the act of running to be very meditative. I feel like if I could just get myself in decent condition I could really enjoy it, but I have trouble sticking to a plan and not over-doing it. For years I have been trying to get into the habit, but I tend to injure myself and decide I need to rest up, then months pass and I realize I'm back at square 1.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I kinda consider myself a runner. I run 6 days a week, 3-5miles a time, about 8:30-9 min mile pace.

I can't say I love running. I do it for fitness and so I can eat more without gaining weight.

It's also a challenge every time I go out. Just a little bit farther or a little bit faster - keeps it interesting.
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Trying really hard to learn to love running...I know its mostly just getting a routine going but I could really use some support and advice on how to go from being a reluctant jogger to a hard core runner's runner who does 10 miles for fun. How do i build up to that? How fast is too fast to build? How do I prevent injury? How do I know when enough is enough vs. being wimpy and needing to push harder? (currently run maaaybe 3 times a week if i'm doing well, and I go 2 miles at about a 12 min. mile) I also walk literally everday rain or shine for a total of about 3 miles (1.5 at work during lunch and 1.5 with my fat dog who also hates to run)

That's a great goal, but to expect that you will love and master running as a "reluctant jogger" is too demanding at this point.

You build up to "10 miles for fun" by...well...building up! If you can do 2-3 miles with ease, then you increase your distance. You find new routes to keep things interesting. You incorporate friends into your runs. You do speed work at the track, interval runs, trail runs. You might invest in some tech to track your runs and your body's biometric response so you can see your progress. You go to a running store and have them fit you for a proper shoe based on your stride and heel strike, not just what looks good on the shelf.

If you don't find joy in it after a few weeks, running may not be your thing. Me? I've always been a "good" runner, but don't enjoy it just for the sake of running. If it is a part of a cross-training regimen then ok, but I can't just devote myself to any one activity without switching things up from time to time. If running isn't your passion, don't force it. There are many other things out there!

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the most uncommitted and inconsistent runners I've met. I love it when I've gotten myself conditioned and hate it when I've let it go. Mornings suck, but I feel better all day if I run in morning. My lungs occasionally refuse to open up, and then there are times when they open and runner's high kicks into full throttle.

If you figure out any secrets let me know. As it is, I still just have to kick my *kitten* to do it.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My mom and sister are both super hard core runners, and I would really like to be able to trail run with them and do 10k races. I also think that it is a great way to build endurance, and probably the best cardio I can do without a gym membership. I like the challenge of it and I like getting "in the zone" and find the act of running to be very meditative. I feel like if I could just get myself in decent condition I could really enjoy it, but I have trouble sticking to a plan and not over-doing it. For years I have been trying to get into the habit, but I tend to injure myself and decide I need to rest up, then months pass and I realize I'm back at square 1.

I understand the part of wanting to do it with your mom and sister.

But as far as the cardio, there's lots of other stuff out there, even endurance cardio. Biking, swimming, fast walking (you can actually get your heart up just as much with this ... if it's your thing), roller blading, dancing, and so on. Find something you enjoy, it'll be much easier to stick with it. And, you may find that building your cardio endurance in these other ways helps you get in condition to try running again and actually enjoy it with your family.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I hate it too so I mostly don't do it. I said "mostly" because occasionally I might do a 5k (because they're fun) and I might do a light jog sometimes, but mostly I hate it. So I do other things. You don't have to run to get cardio.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I far prefer hiking. And trust me on this: I *kitten* hate myself for inflicting such severe punishment on myself while I'm trudging up that goddamn mountain (Table Mountain). BUT the feeling afterwards is why I hike. I don't get the same feeling after a run.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    that's a great sticky
    i started with the bridge 2 10k program and then i worked and asics HM plan

there are lots of types of runners
    maybe you aren't their type of runner. I'm a distance lover and my daughter loves short distances.
    there are road runners and trail runners and both
    maybe you aren't a runner at all and more of a biker. and then you can bike as your family runs
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Like any exercise, if you don't like it you should find something else. One doesn't need a gym membership for a good cardio burn. Jump rope, Heavy Bag Boxing ($70-$100 for a bag), the list goes on. I forced myself to run and although I loved the results, I always hated running. I dreaded it every time I put my shoes on. One needs to find what one enjoys and I feel one will get a lot more out of the workout. By no means am I trying to discourage running. It just wasn't for me. I hated it to begin with, I tried to embrace it and did so for a long time, I still hate it. I found something else and enjoy it and workout harder because of it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I really feel like if you hate running you shouldn't do it. But I can understand wanting to be active with your family.
    I love to run. here's what gets me going when i run:
    I love every mile after the first mile.
    I love getting an awesome playlist on my phone and just jamming out when I run.
    I love trying out new roads and trails to look at scenery when I run.
    I love getting lost in my thoughts on runs.

Hope that helps.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Well if you are real and you run, you are a real runner.

Try stepping back to a couch to 5k program? Build endurance slowly?

Usually increasing by 10% a week is safe.

And you may never love it - I run most mornings for three years now and don't love it. Like sunnybeaches, I feel so much better on a day I run than on a day I don't, that it's worth it to me. I really don't like it while I am doing it though. It is too repetitive to stop my thinking, and so exhausting, it isn't enjoyable. But I feel accomplished, I love feeling my fitness increase, where what was hard becomes easier, I love the way I feel later in the day, and I love what it does for my body.

So I don't like running while it's going on, but I love having run. After it's over.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

I'm wondering if joining a runners group at your local running store would be a benefit to you. The reason I suggest this is that your questions are very similar to those we get in the 5k, 10k, Half Marathon training groups that are hosted by my local running store. Given your desire to build up to 10 miles or more, you might actually enjoy a 10-12 week program where you join other runners who are at your ability (pace/distance,etc) and run as a group while building up to the race distance chosen. Even if you don't care about entering a race, the group will provide support and the extra push needed to keep going. You may find that meeting up with a group on Saturday mornings becomes something you look forward to each week, and that increased running endurance is a happy by product of this experience. Good luck.

• hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    To the OP, is there anything else your mom and sister like doing that is exercised based? Swimming, hiking, playing tennis,etc. maybe take a dance class together. Something you all wouldn't mind doing that would be fun for everyone? I honor your desire to do things with them. In my area they have walking marathons is there a way they would do one with you? If you aren't having fun, you won't stick with it. it will become a chore. Then where will you be?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You were pretty quick to build a list of all the reasons you want to run. Perhaps if you set a goal to prepare for, like registering for a race? There will be days that it will be a groan to get out the door, but then there's the runner's high to look forward to.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Just go run 10 miles

Take the pain
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I started off with C25k as a means of free exercise. As soon as I plucked up the courage to join a gym and do classes, I dropped running like a hot potato. There is some running in my Cardio class but it's only a few minutes at a time.

I've come to the realisation that while I would love to be a runner, my heart isn't in it. I get bored while running, instead of zoning out and relaxing like my friend does.

Find what gets your fire going and do that. You don't have to run just because others do. You are you, and you just might enjoy something else.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have been running for nearly 2 years. I went from no running to a 10k in 4 months, after signing up for a race, and while i enjoyed the challenge of something new, it took me a year to enjoy running and want to run regularly...

last month I did a half marathon and loved it!