On vacation... should I just enjoy myself?

Options
I was planning on doing "good" on vacation but yesterday I just couldn't resist myself at the desert table and today I'm not doing any better. So I'm just thinking... should I just "screw it" and enjoy myself? I do feel really bloated right now. If I did gain a bit of weight over the course of the vacation (5 days) would it be enough that people notice?

Thanks!

Replies

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Can you do midway? Like not stuff yourself but still enjoy? (I'm not suggesting you stuffed yourself the other day!) Still if you go 700cals over maintenance each day that is 1 pound for 5 days which is not as much. You can lose it in a week and you would have enjoyed your vacation. I wouldn't stress too much, I'd rather over eat than stress over what is supposed to be a deserved vacation.

+1 any damage can be undone but, vacations are expensive enjoy it
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself. I have worked to hard to drop this weight(70 lbs) and I refuse to give up just because i'm on vacation. This does not mean i will not enjoy myself. I will eat within my daily calories. i may not get in as many steps as i normally do but will try.By all means Have desert, but maybe you can share it with someone . I eat out all the time but i make choices on what i will eat. i would rather have a larger cut of meat than eat the bread. i'll skip the potatoes or fries and opt to have a veggie and then split a desert with my wife. its not all or nothing...think how you'll feel once you come home and get on the scale... if you put on a few pounds will you then say screw it and not continue on your on quest for healthy living..just my 2 cents worth
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting and how much have you lost? Do you normally have issues with adherence and bingeing?

Normally, I'd say enjoy but don't go overboard, but that means different things to different people, and if you have been having troubles adhering to your diet then your vacation turns into just another excuse.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 pounds (well... 30 pounds but gained 5 back over the past year). 5.6.5 (almost 5'7) and 120 lbs... trying to get back to 115. I do have problems with binging. My vacation is 6 days, however, there will only be a buffet on 3 of the days (i plan to "do better" on the other 3 days)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 pounds (well... 30 pounds but gained 5 back over the past year). 5.6.5 (almost 5'7) and 120 lbs... trying to get back to 115. I do have problems with binging. My vacation is 6 days, however, there will only be a buffet on 3 of the days (i plan to "do better" on the other 3 days)

That's sounds like a good plan. Maybe limit yourself to one reasonably size plate and one reasonably sized dessert, but take a break from trying to count and focusing on macros? Behavior changes are at he heart of weight loss, so focus on that for the vacation and find something other than the buffet to really enjoy? Get active and go explore?
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I say go for it! As long as it's not a long vacation, say over a week, just enjoy it! Especially if you have the chance to sample new foods. Wouldn't you hate to look back and say, I had the chance to try croquembouche but didn't because I was counting calories?

Any bit of added weight will come back off eventually, but you'll never have this vacation again. <3

I had to google croquembouche. Is it as yummy as it looks or will it let you down?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    I say go for it! As long as it's not a long vacation, say over a week, just enjoy it! Especially if you have the chance to sample new foods. Wouldn't you hate to look back and say, I had the chance to try croquembouche but didn't because I was counting calories?

Any bit of added weight will come back off eventually, but you'll never have this vacation again. <3

I had to google croquembouche. Is it as yummy as it looks or will it let you down?

No, it's delicious.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Can you enjoy yourself without going Bat "kitten" crazy? Do that. If not, go crazy. it's only a week and you'll recover when you get back.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself!!! If it makes you feel better, pick one meal a day where you indulge (like a good evening dinner). But don't hold back if there is anything you really love and that will be worth the calories! I always tell myself I didn't gain weight by enjoying a vacation, and truth be told, I've never gained so much as a pound on a weeklong vacation. Even my two-week honeymoon I gained only 2 pounds. Now, the month of December is another story :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I try and find a happy medium. Like no dessert for breakfast but if some dessert looks really good at dinner I'll have it. I also try and find active things to do on vacation - I usually end up doing a lot of walking, but also try and find active events to do also to burn off some of those extra calories.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    IMHO if you only take vacation once a year, and the rest of the time you log your calories and stay within your diary, then go nuts and have fun. One or two days of eating badly really don't matter all that much. A week of eating badly might gain you a lb or two but it isn't going to derail your efforts that much. Losing weight and becoming healthier is a way of life, not just a diet you do then forget about after its done. So it's the 'long game' you're working toward, not the 'short game'. So enjoy your vacation. I, personally, eat at maintenance, and log my food when I have time. If I go over during vacation then so what. The last one I took I simply used the gym in the hotel 4-5 days during the week I was there and ate what I wanted. I ended up gaining maybe half a pound which was gone 3 days later once all the sodium and water weight was gone. It really didn't matter, and I felt much more rested and happier not having to worry about it. I worked out because I wanted, not because I had to, and I may have chosen light dressings or diet sodas when I was eating out, but those were conscious decisions that I intend to make the rest of my life, not just during vacation.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »

Pastry and caramel? What's not to like?
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will eat whatever I want until tonight! Basically I didn't eat until dinner time on Wednesday and I am guessing I still stayed within my maintenance. Yesterday I went a bit too crazy (but still only ate dinner) and today its only 10:30 and I alreayd had smarties and popcorn and a muffin :( (and dinner tonight will be even worse!). But yesterday I DID climb a mountain so... I guess I deserved binging on the buffet? lol
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OMG... its vacation.. Vacate from everything! Mulling over all the calories on vacation is not a vacation!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm Team Enjoy Vacation. Go have a margarita now.