On vacation... should I just enjoy myself?

Options

Replies

• gember85
    gember85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes defo enjoy yourself I go away for 5 days soon and I'm not counting a single calorie only once a year in my case anyway so enjoy and get back on it when you get home x
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My holiday this year will be my honeymoon in August in an all-inclusive 5* hotel in Bali for 9 gorgeous nights.

You bet your *kitten* I'm not counting! I'll probably log in though to keep my streak going ;)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a cruise at the end of July. I'm not going to be a glutton, but I'm going to enjoy it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OMG... its vacation.. Vacate from everything! Mulling over all the calories on vacation is not a vacation!

Preach it sister.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Don't count calories. Indulge, but try not to binge - it will be harder to get back to healthy eating if you binge. Try to be a bit active while you're away, but don't stress about it.

Top priority should be relaxation and fun though!
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Alarae21 wrote: »
    My holiday this year will be my honeymoon in August in an all-inclusive 5* hotel in Bali for 9 gorgeous nights.

You bet your *kitten* I'm not counting! I'll probably log in though to keep my streak going ;)

I think I'd find better things to do with my time on honeymoon than log in here.

Just sayin

Considering all I need to do is open the app for one second, it's totally not a hardship. I dont mean actually log my food. Screw that.
  • andrektan
    andrektan Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Even if you gained a pound of day (which you would need to try really hard to do), that's just 5 pounds. Don't sweat it and enjoy yourself with no regrets. :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I went to New York City for 6 days a couple of weeks ago and ate the entire city. I can put away a lot more calories than a lot of people, so when I say I ate a lot, I mean I ate a ridiculous amount of food. Pizza, giant cookies, cheesecake, hot dogs, gelato, pastries, huge pastrami sandwiches, burgers, french fries, all of the desserts.

I did gain a few pounds - about half was water that came off in less than a week and half stuck, but I've already started losing it by going back to what I was doing before vacation. No one could tell I had packed on those extra pounds. In fact, I could barely tell. I wore the shortest shorts I own and a form-fitting tank on the day we left and felt awesome. In fact, I felt way better about my body that week than I ever do at home. It's all about your mindset.

You don't have to do what I do on vacation and go all out, but I never have any regrets. A few extra pounds that I can lose and a whole lot of great experiences not worrying about numbers. Allowing myself to eat whatever I want is part of an enjoyable vacation for me. I go on one vacation a year - I'll be damned if I'm going to spend it thinking about macros and calories.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Have some fun, eat what you want, your body needs a vacation too once in a while. 3500 Cal is only a pound :wink:
  • JKI19
    JKI19 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was planning on doing "good" on vacation but yesterday I just couldn't resist myself at the desert table and today I'm not doing any better. So I'm just thinking... should I just "screw it" and enjoy myself? I do feel really bloated right now. If I did gain a bit of weight over the course of the vacation (5 days) would it be enough that people notice?

Thanks!

Don't do it! I've been where you are, and it's a viscous cycle. :/ If you're on vacation, then you could be a little more liberal with the foods you eat, but track everything to a degree, and know when to stop. I know it can be harsh, but health and fitness is much more a mental battle than a physical one. There will always be excuses. Good luck!
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is awesome to here, guys! It's great to know how quickly the weight will disappear too!... maybe I'm not actually eating as much as I'm thinking. I'm a huge desert person but barely eat anything for the main courses lol.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself, but if you can abstain here and there, bonus. In the end, it's just five days! Worst case scenario, you gain one or two lbs, those can come off fast enough when you get home again xo
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess I'm the outlier here, but I wouldn't go wild at all. Eat at maintenance, sure, maybe even a special treat here and there, but i would definitely still log.

The thing is, right now you say, "oh, it's just a 5 day vacation." That's going to turn in to, "oh, it's my birthday, I can eat whatever want." Then it's the 4th of July. Then it's memorial day. Then it's Friday. It's the holidays. It's November. Any day can turn into a day to binge, which is what you're doing. I looked at my diet as a lifestyle change, which meant making vacations and holidays and special occasions all work within my calorie goals. It sucks, but if you want to lose and maintain that loss, you can't eat everything you want.

Sorry if I sound preachy but I feel this is important. I have maintained my weightloss for 8 years, and this is a tactic that is very important in maintenance for me. I might have a different perspective than others on this thread or those who have been at it for less time. What you eat is always your choice, but this is what has worked for me.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation. You can resume your weight loss journey when you return.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    When I go on vacation, I go on a planned diet break.

I exercise quite a bit more on vacations than I do in at-home life ... lots of cycling, hiking, swimming and other sports. But I don't log and I eat whatever I want. :)
  • derosarr
    derosarr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too! Walking around taking photos, going on tours, hiking or biking, and swimming when possible are great, fun ways of burning some calories while on vacation.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I think the real question with holidays is not the effect on your weight - there's only so much damage to can do in a few days - but the psychological effect. And it's very personal.

Some people can quit logging for a week and it doesn't bother them at all, they get back on the horse when they get home and no harm done.

For others it knocks a hole in their logging habit, and combined with the scale increase afterwards (which will be exaggerated by water weight) can end up discouraged, making it hard to build up momentum again. I've been there.

If you do decide not to log on holiday be prepared for some extra effort to get going with it again afterwards, and be prepared for the fact that the scale may jump more than you expect when you get home, and to remind yourself that you have not actually put on 6lb or whatever, it's just water from all the yummy carbsy treats and it'll be mostly gone in a few days.

Enjoy your holiday!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am going to Germany in July for 3 weeks to see my mom. I already know she tries to stuff me with all that good food I missed out so long. I don't like the food here in the US very much so it was easy to lose a lot of weight. My plan is to eat everything I like over there but only small portions. No calorie counting. I also only eat 3 times a day and no snacks in between. I definitely don't want to gain more than 2 lbs over there. Good luck to you!