On vacation... should I just enjoy myself?

Options
13»

Replies

• Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. You're on holiday just don't go crazy so you feel bloated and hating yourself ha you can easy lose an extra couple of pounds that creep on on vacation if you get straight back into it when you are home
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Well, I know I did on my vacation. Uhg! Have fun!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    How long have you been dieting and how much have you lost? Do you normally have issues with adherence and bingeing?

Normally, I'd say enjoy but don't go overboard, but that means different things to different people, and if you have been having troubles adhering to your diet then your vacation turns into just another excuse.

Agree. Are you going on vacation to eat or to see/do new things, have fun with friends/family, etc? Eating can be part of it, but don't make it the highlight.

Have fun.
  • desimonedave
    desimonedave Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recently went on vacation for a week in Mexico, all inclusive. Four days before that I was out of town at a work conference and while I tried to to adhere to my diet I did indulge somewhat as we all ate out. I just plunked quick calories to MFP and didn't track closely. I had a goal weight prior to my vacation which I exceeded by a few pounds (had lost 87 altogether). I figured I'd experiment and see where I would be at when I got home. I didn't hold back at all and had a great vacation. As soon as I got back the scale said I gained 23 pounds (I'm 6'2" and my lean body mass would be around 190lbs). I knew most would be water weight, etc. and dropped 10lbs in the first week or so back on my normal routine. The rest has come off and I'm back to where I was after a month and a half.

For me it was totally worth it and was a much needed break. I won't say it didn't affect me both physically and mentally afterwards but it was pre-planned and I was prepared. I have around 15lbs to go still on my original goal weight and yes this did push me back time wise but I had a helluva good time.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation to the Dominican Republic. It was all inclusive as well. I ate very well and I drank very well. However I was in the ocean or the pool every single day. I just love the water. Turned out I lost 1.5 lbs. that week. Go figure.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the vacation and when you're home get back on track you'll find within a few weeks the holiday gain is gone.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation next week and not really changing anything. I'm even bringing my yoga pants and finding a gym down there. For me, I've lost all this weight and worked my butt off...but that's not really the issue for me.

For me, I'm addicted to food. I wouldn't have been fat originally if I wasn't. For me, I don't want to sabotage it.

But this is me. Everyone is totally different. You could eat like a queen and be fine :). I don't have that willpower lol
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I took 10 days in France..ate and drank as much as I wanted. Gained about 10lb but most of that was water, took me about two weeks on diet home to get back down to normal...moral of the story: worth if =)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am also an outlier like @zoink66. I don't weigh my food at all or log much when I am on vacation because I don't use the app; I only log in the MFP database using my husband's laptop at the end of the day. I don't estimate anything because I think that it is a waste of my time and a very ineffective way of counting calories. If I didn't make it, or if the restaurant or MFP doesn't have the nutritional information, the food doesn’t get logged.

If I stay away or limit deserts and alcohol (neither is a problem for me), the battle is partially won because I am not a foodie.

What always surprises me is that people associates vacations with large amount of food and lots of drinking in order to have fun. What about enjoying the new city, town, or whatever area you are visiting? What about enjoying the companionship of your family and friends and all the activities that the place has to offer? Why is enjoyment always associated with food?

I don't get it, and I don't think that I ever will.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I was planning on doing "good" on vacation but yesterday I just couldn't resist myself at the desert table and today I'm not doing any better. So I'm just thinking... should I just "screw it" and enjoy myself? I do feel really bloated right now. If I did gain a bit of weight over the course of the vacation (5 days) would it be enough that people notice?

Thanks!

Some people try to eat at a deficit / maintainance across a day, some do a week. If you're on a vacation, perhaps a month time span is appropriate.
  • andrektan
    andrektan Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    What always surprises me is that people associates vacations with large amount of food and lots of drinking in order to have fun. What about enjoying the new city, town, or whatever area you are visiting? What about enjoying the companionship of your family and friends and all the activities that the place has to offer? Why is enjoyment always associated with food?

I don't get it, and I don't think that I ever will.

I think it comes down to personal mindset.

For me, it's not that the food is the highlight of a vacation. It's that I don't believe that a vacation is time to be overly concerned about the boundaries I've set the rest of the year, and fret about a couple of ephemeral pounds that'll probably be gone in a week.

But then again, what I personally consider indulging isnt an all-out, no-holds-barred binge. I also go into a trip knowing that I won't have to mentally struggle to get back on track when I come back home.

I think others on this thread probably think about it similarly.

But with that being said, I realize that everyone is different and has their own relationship with food.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I personally never eat desert when I'm on holiday. The sand gets stuck in my teeth.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I personally never eat desert when I'm on holiday. The sand gets stuck in my teeth.

I sea what you did there!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The reason I let go a bit on vacations is that it's basically impossible to stick to my diet when I eat out at every meal without driving yourself (and everyone) crazy. Obviously it depends on where you go though and how much you can spend but when a sandwich is $8 and grilled chicken and veggies $15 (when there's even some on the menu), well... Unless you're someone who's fine with eating bunless burgers and side salads for a week, which I'm definitely not.

Buffets would be dangerous but at least there are options, I'm guessing I'd end up indulging a couple times then sticking to the plan once I've tried everything I wanted, lol.
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's your VACATION. I would let it stand at that. Eat and have a good time but maybe you can eat a healthy meal out on the town or something. I'm going to try not to chart my meals this week at the beach myself, but I will still eat my rice cakes, veggie chips, and clear american water...lol.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yes you should. I think allowing yourself breaks for things like vacation are part of having a sustainable diet. I allow myself to indulge pretty much as much as I want for vacations and occasionally at family get togethers, and I've lost 162 lbs.

If you are dedicated 90% of the time, the 10% doesn't matter.

Edit: I will add that I do still log most of my food when on vacation, but it's a lot of guestimating and is nowhere near as accurate. And I don't try to stay under my goal, I stay just mindful enough to not go really over the top.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    andrektan wrote: »
    I think it comes down to personal mindset.

For me, it's not that the food is the highlight of a vacation. It's that I don't believe that a vacation is time to be overly concerned about the boundaries I've set the rest of the year, and fret about a couple of ephemeral pounds that'll probably be gone in a week.

But then again, what I personally consider indulging isnt an all-out, no-holds-barred binge. I also go into a trip knowing that I won't have to mentally struggle to get back on track when I come back home.

I think others on this thread probably think about it similarly.

But with that being said, I realize that everyone is different and has their own relationship with food.

This is exactly how I feel about it.

It's important to know your own limits. For me, having a family size bag of bbq chips in my house has a stronger effect on my resolve than indulging while on vacation.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    personally? yes, but I would do it with some sort of moderation and not go all out as it were