How do I become a real runner? Why do I hate it still?

Options
2»

Replies

• RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My mom and sister are both super hard core runners, and I would really like to be able to trail run with them and do 10k races. I also think that it is a great way to build endurance, and probably the best cardio I can do without a gym membership. I like the challenge of it and I like getting "in the zone" and find the act of running to be very meditative. I feel like if I could just get myself in decent condition I could really enjoy it, but I have trouble sticking to a plan and not over-doing it. For years I have been trying to get into the habit, but I tend to injure myself and decide I need to rest up, then months pass and I realize I'm back at square 1.

That's the key right there. At first, running SUCKS and it's hard. Then one day you get to a point where you can do a nice easy jog without your heart rate spiking and making you gasp for breath. When you can cruise along, running can be quite relaxing and enjoyable.

Problem is, as you've seen, it can take a while to get to that point, and it's so easy to get impatient, push too hard, and hurt yourself. I suggest picking a 5K about 3 months from now you can run with your mom and your sister. Then run according to one of the Hal Higdon 5K novice plans. They will ramp you up slowly, but you have to stick with the plan and not try to do more.

And don't worry about speed or times, that will come later. Think "slow jog", not run. Make sure you can talk while you're running and you're not gasping for air. Your mom and sister are going to be WAY faster than you, so don't compare yourself to them.

Good luck!
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Music is so important- get a new playlist of motivating, high-energy songs on your iPod. You can find dance remixes of just about any song. If you're already walking, how about building running into it? Like, walk a block, run a block- until eventually, it gets easier and you end up running more than you walk, and eventually a full run. If you need to run slow so you can keep it up for a long time without being miserable and gasping for breath, do that to get your endurance up until you're ready to increase your speed.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    For me it's all about pace. If I run fast then yes it hurts, but if I slow down and keep my heart rate reasonable I can run for a lot longer and enjoy the scenery and the music I'm listening to. Arguably those longer, slower runs are actually better training anyway.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Get a armband for your phone and some Bluetooth headphones. Use a running app to track your distance I use runtastic and it syncs to MFP. The app will call out your pace miles and calorie burn. I also like the logging aspect to keep track of miles per month and shoe replacement. Stream your favorite music and go! It takes me weeks to make it a habit. I can now run with my sister and she is a triathlete.