What's so bad about white refined flour and white rice again?

Options
Hi I've just got a queeries here....
I've always heard that white rice/bread and white refined flour isn't good for our health but why is that? I know that brown rice and wholegrain flour obviously has much more nutrients, fibre and etc, which is great, but if I eat the same amount of white rice as I would for brown rice, will it cause weight gain?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Eating too many calories causes weight gain - no matter what those calories are made of.
  • MegTheStrong
    MegTheStrong Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My very limited understanding is... Refined carbs (flours, white rice, etc) have been processed to remove the outer bran of the grain. Therefore, it is less nutritious. Also, because it is refined, it is easier for the body to digest, which means it can cause the blood sugar to rise and fall more rapidly than unrefined carbs. When blood sugar rises, your body will produce insulin. Unfortunately, insulin is a "fat storage hormone", meaning while there is more insulin circulating in your blood, your body is more likely to convert carbs into fat to be stored (weight gain).
  • JKI19
    JKI19 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    tldbs3341 wrote: »
    Hi I've just got a queeries here....
    I've always heard that white rice/bread and white refined flour isn't good for our health but why is that? I know that brown rice and wholegrain flour obviously has much more nutrients, fibre and etc, which is great, but if I eat the same amount of white rice as I would for brown rice, will it cause weight gain?

No. Just track your cals and you'll be fine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's only an issue if you have hypoglycemia or diabetes, pretty much. And they're not very filling for the calories for some people (I'm one of them sadly).
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Well, they are pretty much empty calories. Meaning, nothing nutritional about them. Great for adding calories if you need to gain weight, not so much if you want to lose weight. I prefer to make my calories count.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    Well, they are pretty much empty calories. Meaning, nothing nutritional about them. Great for adding calories if you need to gain weight, not so much if you want to lose weight. I prefer to make my calories count.

What?!?

Rice keeps me full for hours, major staple in my life and I lose weight just fine.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    With rice, people don't say that white is bad, just that brown is better. You get more goodness from brown rice, that kind of thing. I've never seen anyone say that white rice is actually harmful.

With flour, depending on where you live, there can be actual problems. In America, we haven't outlawed bleaching flour and the bleached flour isn't good for you. You won't keel over dead, but try to buy unbleached flour when you can unless you're making cakes. Unbleached cake flour will cause a cake to sink almost every time, so it's not worth using for that purpose.

Both bleached and unbleached flours are available in the typical grocery store.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    With rice, people don't say that white is bad, just that brown is better. You get more goodness from brown rice, that kind of thing. I've never seen anyone say that white rice is actually harmful.

With flour, depending on where you live, there can be actual problems. In America, we haven't outlawed bleaching flour and the bleached flour isn't good for you. You won't keel over dead, but try to buy unbleached flour when you can unless you're making cakes. Unbleached cake flour will cause a cake to sink almost every time, so it's not worth using for that purpose.

Both bleached and unbleached flours are available in the typical grocery store.

There's enough people saying white ANYTHING is automatically bad. And that's not a joke about social justice warriors.
  • Francl27
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »

I just read the nutrition labels above and they don't look empty to me.

Eh nutrient-wise (meaning vitamins and stuff) it's actually pretty sad, lol.

But oh man I wish rice filled me up, I love the stuff.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Having more fiber is important in general - most people don't eat enough.

In my body, whole grains seem to digest more slowly without a sugar spike, making me feel full longer.

I've always eaten whole grains and like them. Not sure why you wouldn't eat them, unless it's a fancy cake or something?
  • Francl27
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »
    Having more fiber is important in general - most people don't eat enough.

In my body, whole grains seem to digest more slowly without a sugar spike, making me feel full longer.

I've always eaten whole grains and like them. Not sure why you wouldn't eat them, unless it's a fancy cake or something?

I think the point is that white products don't have much fiber. My experience is the same as yours regarding whole grains though - definitely keeps me full longer.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The main issue with refine flours and white rice is their high glycemic index. They aren't bad for you, but your blood sugar will go higher faster when you eat them by themselves. This means that for diabetic folks, they will have to be careful and do some excersise or eat some protein with them to slow down the impact.

I know this because when my wife was pregnant with our second, she was almost gestationally diabetic, so we learned a lot about blood sugar because she was able to test herself throughout the day. My wife found that a slice of bread or some white rice be overcome by immediate exercise.

This article is good http://www.diabetes.ca/diabetes-and-you/healthy-living-resources/diet-nutrition/the-glycemic-index

and so is this one http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/use-glycemic-index-to-help-control-blood-sugar-201208135154

The second article claims that foods with a low glycemic index can help maintain weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    The issue is that a 50lbs bag of white rice isn't cheap.

The nutritional value of white/not white products is minor. Just don't over consume and you'll be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yeah, everyone here is saying pretty much the same thing in different ways. White flour etc are not bad for you. They're just not as filling and whole grains will keep you going for longer, so if you can swap wholegrain for white it will make your eating goals easier to stick to. Also, wholegrain products have some extra nutrients which are good for your overall health.

Personally I use whole grains in some cases but not others. I eat whole grain cereals as the white ones don't fill me up at all, whole grain bread for the same reason and because I generally prefer it ( apart from buttered toast!) but I don't like whole grain pasta at all so i use white. I generally use white rice as it suits most dishes better, but will sometimes use brown if it goes well with what I'm cooking.

What is filling and what isn't is individual, so don't be worried by the disagreements here - explore what fills you up and eat accordingly.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    They enjoy white privilege.

rice one!