Running = gut shrinking ... just me?

Options

Replies

• Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm a 238 pound former dancer with small patellas, elastic skin and flexible tendons (all bad things when it comes to knee problems, according to my orthopedic surgeon) and I LOVE C25k. Don't wait, ladies. Slap on some spandex to keep the jiggles reasonable and go, outside if you can. I'm soooo much more motivated when I'm outside!
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've noticed that too, and I'm not even running too often yet. I'm just doing intervals so far! Great job!!!

intervals are awesome! that's what i do, too.

^5
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    yep! running melted my belly away too! :happy:
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I started running about a month and a half ago. I am losing a little bit of weight, but my stomach is definitely smaller! And that's honestly more important to me anyway. It's also given me so much more energy than when I was working out on the elliptical.
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Man maybe I should run more! I have been doing 30 day shred and although I have been toning and losing lbs my stomach has only gone down about an inch... im done tonight is my last night so ill start running more and see if that helps. Thanks for the idea!
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Must start running again, and last longer than a week this time! I hate my belly fat with a passion.
  • NCisME
    NCisME Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mine has been shrinking too! I've been training for a 10 K for the past 7 weeks (for Monday) and I've noticed. Great job!
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes Its not only a fat burner you also engage your core the whole time and if you are like me after a few miles you really start using your stomach like a bellows. If I push I am sore in my lats and my abs mostly from breathing hard the whole way.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Mylove handels are gone! wish i knew how to gee my starting pics off my old comp and put them on the new to prove it! love the running!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    you all have really inspired me today..I just downloaded a c25k podcast that I was going to start next week, but I really think I'll start tomorrow instead!!!! Hopefully I will banish my belly too!!
  • Falisha13
    Falisha13 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited! So glad I started today & read this, I feel pretty good about the toning & losing I have been doing but my damn belly doesn't feel much smaller to me. Thanks all! :)
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Last time I did C25K 5 years ago before my wedding it worked wonders on flattening my stomach and lifting my butt. Nothing else really comes close I think, running really is a full body exercise.
  • angelaclev
    angelaclev Posts: 95
    Options
    well this is awesome to know! I actually started the c25k today... I am pretty big at 196lb i was 203lbs though so I have a good start... but anyway... I started it because I have always wanted to do a 5k. Now I find out it will help my gut... what a great day lol.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! I thought it was just me. Glad to know I'm not imaging that my gut is shrinking since the stupid scale has decided to stop moving down lol. Love my Zumba but boy I am really loving my C25K app!!!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Running definitely shrinks the stomach. I have lost 7" off my waist since starting to run in Jan.

My gut is still there, though...it is shrinking very slowly, but running def makes the inches fall off.

I also lost 10 inches off my hips from running and 7 off my chest!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    well this is awesome to know! I actually started the c25k today... I am pretty big at 196lb i was 203lbs though so I have a good start... but anyway... I started it because I have always wanted to do a 5k. Now I find out it will help my gut... what a great day lol.

Yay! You can do it. I started C25K at 258 lbs :)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Definitely! My waist and stomach area trimmed down a lot when I started running.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I started to try this a few weeks ago running in short spirts while walking the neighborhood and my inner thighs and feet hurt so bad the 1st few days. I decided to stop because I was told that its really not good for your legs and feet and i don't want to hurt
    myself and also don't want to go buy some running shoes. If it shrinks the belly then I think i need to start at it again lol.
    I just don't want to injure my feet and knees. I can run down hil for quite a distance but running on flat or up hill i can not do it for that long of a time.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I started to try this a few weeks ago running in short spirts while walking the neighborhood and my inner thighs and feet hurt so bad the 1st few days. I decided to stop because I was told that its really not good for your legs and feet and i don't want to hurt
    myself and also don't want to go buy some running shoes. If it shrinks the belly then I think i need to start at it again lol.
    I just don't want to injure my feet and knees. I can run down hil for quite a distance but running on flat or up hill i can not do it for that long of a time.
    Funny i will not run down hill, i think its added stress on my knees! invest in the sneakers to protect your knees and feet, your worth it! when i started back running i bought knee braces from wal-mart, pretty cheap, to protect them until i built up. also i started fast walking for the first couple of weeks, then just add a little bounce in your step. i feel like all the shaking of running is the fat shakin off! find a good pace, you don't have to sprint....do what you can!
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've DEFINITELY noticed a difference in my abdomen since I started running. It's shrinking so nicely and also I feel stronger all over.
    Running burns calories even AFTER you're done, as your body is recovering.
    Also, as women (sorry dudes, maybe this will benefit you as well) we have abdomen fat caused by stress, running helps reduce stress so (if I may) come to a conclusion that the stress that would usually go to our guts is being left in the dust! (I'm trade marking that!)

"So what can we do about tubby tummies? A lot, it turns out. The starting point for bringing weight under control, in general, and combating abdominal fat, in particular, is regular moderate-intensity physical activity — at least 30 minutes per day (and perhaps up to 60 minutes per day) to control weight. In a study comparing sedentary adults with those exercising at different intensities, researchers at Duke University Medical Center found that the non-exercisers experienced a nearly 9% gain in visceral fat after six months. Subjects who exercised the equivalent of walking or jogging 12 miles per week put on no visceral fat, and those who exercised the equivalent of jogging 20 miles per week lost both visceral and subcutaneous fat."
    from: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Abdominal-fat-and-what-to-do-about-it.htm

and that's from HARVARD. I know I have noticed a difference after a week of running. It's ALL MENTAL.