Calories or everything??

Options
Just curious to see if people only track calories or all nutrients. I keep an eye on them all but I only see people talk about calories. What do you do?

Replies

• BENEDICTUS5
    BENEDICTUS5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Both
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For purely weight loss reasons I look at my calories but I look at macros just to make sure they're in check too
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I keep track of both. They are equally important imo.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Both :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I lost a bunch of weight just tracking calories, but having the info in the app has made me more conscious of it now and I make some effort to meet the nutritional goals.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Almost everything. I don't track sugar alcohols and a couple other minor things, but I track vitamins and minerals, including the carotenes. Those things are important.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I mostly track calories, but I do try to make sure I hit my protein goal and I look at fiber too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Calories to make sure I'm not getting too many; and protein, fiber, fat and micronutrients to make sure I'm getting enough. I don't worry about carbs or sugar one way or the other, and I don't worry about the different categories of fat other than to take notice if something pops up with trans fat so I can decide whether I want to avoid that particular product in the future (some stuff is just too good to give up entirely over trans fat, but I can at least make informed decisions). I suppose if I noticed I was getting nearly all my fat as saturated fat, I'd do something about it, since the essential fatty acids are in polyunsaturated fats, but I'm usually more in the 25% to 30% range for sat fats as a percentage of all fats.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I track both. Calories for my weight loss goal. Macros, fiber, calcium, vitamins for my nutritional goal.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Calories first because my primary goal is weight loss. I've found within my calorie limits it's difficult not to get good nutrition. However, I like to see if I'm going high on sugars or salt, low on protein, things like that. Having that information at a glance really helps overall nutrition and I like it.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Only calories for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Just calories.
  • zugunruhey
    zugunruhey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I focus mainly on calories but I do use it as a guide to keep my fat intake down, since high fat foods tend to make my IBS worse. Whenever I feel like my diet is in a place where I'm happy with it I look at what needs improvement and go from there.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Mainly what MissusMoon said (ETA: I think, lol)- to be able to stick to calorie goal without going insane, most people have to pay some attention to nutrition. When I logged in my diary, I tracked all three macros, and sometimes fiber. As long as you stick to a varied diet including a lot of fresh and "natural", home cooked food, and have a balanced macro split, and feel healthy, satisfied and energetic, you're most likely getting all the nutrients you need.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Calories. Then macros for satiety.
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Mostly calories at this point, but I do pay attention to the others to try to tweak what I'm eating to get better numbers.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Mostly calories and protein (because I tend to not get enough of it)... I usually hit my goal for fat easily and don't pay much attention to carbs and sugar. I've lost weight fine this way (though I was never that big to begin with BMI 27ish- now at 23)
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein only. Getting a certain amount of protein helps me feel satisfied.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Primarily calories because weight loss is my main goal just now, but I do note if I've eaten less protein than mfp recommends as that may result in be being hungry. For general health I concentrate more on maximising fruit and veg intake than on macros, as it seems to me the human body can adapt to most macro balances, and I believe "plenty of fruit and veg" is the only eating advice that never gets old!