Eating habits..

Options
So I know I'm going to have to change my eating habits if I want to continue on this weight loss journey. I can eat within my calories but it's still not the healthiest foods. I can usually do a easy breakfast of fiber one cereal with non fat milk. Gotta have that fiber.

My problems are lunch and dinner.

I always go to the easy microwavable stuff like lean cuisines or frozen pizzas. Salads don't feel me up so I find myself snacking later.

Dinner time we usually have chicken of some kind or spaghetti with beef. We are not fans of ground turkey. We keep trying it but don't like it. We always have a veggie with dinner, such as green beans or broccoli, or potatoes.. Potatoes are a bad idea I know, but they are soo easy and cheap for a family of 5. I need some more ideas on how to get more fruits and veggies and less processed foods into my diet, and my families diet but without breaking the bank. Any suggestions? I look at meal plans online for healthy but they call for soooo many ingredients.

Replies

• ChristyMomx3
    Options
    So I know I'm going to have to change my eating habits if I want to continue on this weight loss journey. I can eat within my calories but it's still not the healthiest foods. I can usually do a easy breakfast of fiber one cereal with non fat milk. Gotta have that fiber.

My problems are lunch and dinner.

I always go to the easy microwavable stuff like lean cuisines or frozen pizzas. Salads don't feel me up so I find myself snacking later.

Dinner time we usually have chicken of some kind or spaghetti with beef. We are not fans of ground turkey. We keep trying it but don't like it. We always have a veggie with dinner, such as green beans or broccoli, or potatoes.. Potatoes are a bad idea I know, but they are soo easy and cheap for a family of 5. I need some more ideas on how to get more fruits and veggies and less processed foods into my diet, and my families diet but without breaking the bank. Any suggestions? I look at meal plans online for healthy but they call for soooo many ingredients.
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    Anyone????:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Lunch:
    Try adding a protien to the salad like grilled chicken or beef...it will be more filling. Or have your Lean Cuisine with a small salad to get a little more nutritional push.

Dinner:
    Beef is not unhealthy and, if you're getting lean beef, is not much more in terms of calories than turkey. I can't stand the ground turkey. It has no taste unless you get the higher fat content turkey and then, you might as well have beef. Sub multigrain pasta for the spaghetti. You're already having veggies so as long as you watch your portions, you're in good shape.

Nothing wrong with potatos either. They are packed full of nutrients and very good for you. What's bad is what we tend to put on them: cheese, butter, sour cream, etc. If you top them with things like salsa, herbs, or broth, they are non-fat, nutritious and cheap.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    One way to add veggies to lunch... when I buy my veggies, I wash and cut them up before I even put them in the fridge. Sometimes I'll even portion them into ziploc bags, so they're handy to grab. That way I have no excuse for not eating them.
  • d0900
    d0900 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have the same problems, salads do nothing for me!! Lately I have been trying a roasted vegetable salad that is so good. Just put all your favorite veggies on a roasting pan with some extra virgin olive oil and your fav seasonings and roast until soft..so good!
    Don't beat yourself up over potatoes! Dieticions reccomend bake potatoes as a good healthy snack..they are very nutritious. have you tried sweet potatoes? even lower in calories and higher in nutrients! A great diet snack is a baked potatoe with some low fat cheese and broccoli sliced up in the potatoe and baked in the oven!!
    For dinner I love chili. My fiance doesn't like ground turkey so we just use extra lean ground beef. it is very cheap, goes a long way and can be used for many different meals. Mix it for a spaghetti sauce for the next night, or some low fat burritos!
    My latest snack wich is sooo good is sliced apple with almond butter, very good!! almond butter is a little pricey but it lasts a long time.
    I am with you on the snacking..latley i keep reminding myself it losing weight is the difference of me being happy or not, than it isn't worth it to binge!!! Sorry for any spelling mistakes, i wrote this very quickly!
  • bretye2
    Options
    Do you like eating soups? A lot of times I will have a small salad, a cup of soup and then half of lunch. 2 hours later I will eat the rest of my lunch (sometimes it is a sandwich or wrap of some kind). This way I feel full, but I dont go over my calories. I sometimes will do the same for dinner (small salad, cup of soup) and then a lite serving of dinner.
  • kwill23
    kwill23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Do you like squash, my favorit is yellow squash, slice it up and spray it with olive oil spray, then just pop it in the oven, at 350 until its nice and tender. Or you could boil, and put a tiny bit of butter on it when its done. This works for lots of veggies and all it takes is a little salt and pepper to season.
    Spaghetti squash also is good with spaghetti instead of noodles.
    My family eats lots of bananas, oranges, and apples.
    hope this helps
  • Julie1984
    Options

Salads don't feel me up so I find myself snacking later.

Well, I suppose that it's good that your salads don't feel you up... that would be pretty weird, haha.

Anyway, I try to keep bags of frozen veggies in the freezer so it's easy to just pop them in the microwave and add them to meals. Some fruits, such as bananas, are pretty cheap but still have lots of good nutrients.
  • Katgod318
    Katgod318 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Okay something easy and not expensive. It has to fit into the healthy relm.....Got a great idea.

Chicken Packets YUMMO
    Chicken breasts (I buy them frozen in the bags much cheaper)
    Fresh Carrots (baby carrots are fine)
    Frozen Broccoli (a handful per person is usually good)
    One onion (preferably yellow)
    Butter (tablespoon each packet)
    White or Brown Rice (make according to directions)
    Water
    Salt
    Pepper

You will need large sheets of aluminum foil (one for each member of your family). Place the carrots on the aluminum foil FIRST (they take the longest to cook), then the chicken with salt and pepper, add a couple slice of the onion, the broccoli, then the butter, fold the ends of the foil up and close the packet. Poke a few holes toward the top. Bake on 350 for roughly 45-50 minutes. When the packets are done...POUR OUT THE BUTTER AND JUICES...these are not very good for you. Put the meal over rice and it is delish without a whole lot of fat!!!

I also do grilled salmon (frozen from wal-mart), and a few other dishes that aren't bad on the budget or your waist!
  • Katgod318
    Katgod318 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Salads don't feel me up so I find myself snacking later.

Okay, I think you need my salad solution. LOL. I cannot say there aren't better ones out there, but mine works awesome!!! I get fresh spinach (easier on the tummy if you have an acid problem and just good), then sliced mushrooms, carrots, shreded cheese (not too much), 2 oz of Farmland cubbed ham or grilled chicken made the night before, a hard boiled egg, and a teaspoon of real bacon pieces, and last but not least salad dressing. Depending on your dressing of choice the whole thing measured out comes to a grand total of 410 calories. It is delicious, and it manages to hold me off until dinner.
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    Wow! These are some great ideas. My hardest part is I'm not a huge vegetable fan. It has taken 6 years for my husband to convince me to eat broccoli. lol. Also I do not know what is in season and what isn't. When we go grocery shopping I'm going to load up on fruits. Still gotta figure out the veggie thing!
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am a raging fajita addict.. I have one whole wheat tortilla(121cal) with sauted red peppers, onions, and because I live alone, so I buy the perdue short cuts chicken, it's 90 calories per serving. Saute them all up, I add a little montreal seasoning for taste, and fill the tortilla til it barely reaches around, add a few slices of avocado or homemade guac. on top, and that's my meal. It's balanced, covers the food groups, and is about 350 calories. If I have extra calories for the day I throw on some 2% cheddar. It's one of my favorite meals! Avocado is high in fat, but the good kind, so no worries! It's filling and wholesome, and can be made in about 10 minutes!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am a raging fajita addict.. I have one whole wheat tortilla(121cal) with sauted red peppers, onions, and because I live alone, so I buy the perdue short cuts chicken, it's 90 calories per serving. Saute them all up, I add a little montreal seasoning for taste, and fill the tortilla til it barely reaches around, add a few slices of avocado or homemade guac. on top, and that's my meal. It's balanced, covers the food groups, and is about 350 calories. If I have extra calories for the day I throw on some 2% cheddar. It's one of my favorite meals! Avocado is high in fat, but the good kind, so no worries! It's filling and wholesome, and can be made in about 10 minutes!

I have been making fajita salads.....................yummy!!! Except I don't use the pre-cooked chicken, I pan fry mine in some adobo seasoning.

I found that buying whole foods and shopping the perimeter of the store where all the fresh foods are at, my grocery dollar stretches a LOT further than it did when I was buying a lot of that processed, already prepared stuff...................
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Try this. Make stuffed baked potatoes. I microwave the potato, and in a pan I will sautee onion, bell pepper, garlic and add either chicken breast or lean steak or turkey sausage. Mix well, cook until done and toss over the potato!! My husband LOVES these!! I then add fat free cheese or no cheese. I also will add steamed veggies like carrotts/brocolli on top of the meat. It's very filling and low cal. You have protien, veggie and carb all in one. What ever is left over I take for lunch. Very good. Give it a try!!!!

Memaw
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    Try this. Make stuffed baked potatoes. I microwave the potato, and in a pan I will sautee onion, bell pepper, garlic and add either chicken breast or lean steak or turkey sausage. Mix well, cook until done and toss over the potato!! My husband LOVES these!! I then add fat free cheese or no cheese. I also will add steamed veggies like carrotts/brocolli on top of the meat. It's very filling and low cal. You have protien, veggie and carb all in one. What ever is left over I take for lunch. Very good. Give it a try!!!!

Memaw

OMG! That sound sooo yummy! I'll have try that next time!
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options

OHH.. I need to go grocery shopping.. yum-o!
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    I love the idea of soups. It's a great way to get your veggies in and it's very filling. You can make a vat of veggie soup just microwave whatever you want, when ever. Very lo-cal, lo-fat lunch or snack. And you can certainly add a little ground beef to the soups if you want protein and the taste of meat. Just saute garlic, onion, carrots celery , cabbage, mushrooms whatever, in a litlle xtra virgin olive oil. Add the browned ground beef that has been drained of fat. Add a can of chopped tomatoes, 4 cups veggie or beef broth (make sure you check the sodium levels, better to add your own salt to taste)Add some thyme to taste and slow cook until it taste right. You can throw in frozen green beans or fresh chopped parsley. It's so easy and fresh.
    Also, there is a recipe on this site for a Moraccan Chickpea Stew that I highly recommend! Even my burger and fries 11 year old loves it!
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For a cheap healthy dinner:

Brown rice, beans (black, red, kidney, whatever) some salsa and a sprinkle of cheese. This got me though on some tight budgets.

As for veggies, I hear ya. I just kept trying all kinds of different things until I found some I like. My new faves are:

Spinach and mushrooms sauteed with a bit of olive oil
    Roasted bell peppers (all colors), mushrooms, and purple onions sprinkled with Montreal Poultry seasoning.
    Roasted tomatoes and asparagus.

Basically, roasting makes any veggie better. I hate them raw or steamed....

If you add your veggies into stir fries, sauces, etc, you won't notice them as much.

Hope this helps!