Paleo way of life

Options
artistsandie
artistsandie Posts: 30 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I was until recently a vegan for the past 4 years. 1 shed over 150 pounds, but hit a Plateau for six months, in fact my weight fluctuated. Choosing Paleo was a hard choice, for a number of philosophical reasons. Yet my weight is down 188.9 pounds. Going completely organic. Removing all sugar substitutes, processed foods, grains, dairy products, caffeine, and beans including peanuts has helped greatly. I am no longer suffering joint pain or gastric issues. I have an abundant energy and my workouts, strength and Endurance have improved. I'm looking here for supportive friends to share my journey with here. Thank you

Replies

• OblasMummy
    OblasMummy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So you eat meat now? I do paleo, my sister is vegan. Whilst we have similar philosophies when it comes to plant based foods we differ quite strongly on meat. I'm not sure I understand a complete change in diet?? Ps I am supportive just interested
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent.

I'm following the autoimmune protocol, as I have multiple autoimmune diseases. It's a bit more strict than regular paleo. I've started reintroducing a few foods though.

Congrats on your amazing loss, too!!
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Anytime anyone finds a way of eating that agrees with them as well as this one has for you, it's fantastic. My guess is the key change was dropping the wheat (assuming by your symptoms you had allergies), and maybe not so much because of adding meats unless you upped your protein significantly. I tried to go vegan and the low protein about trashed me, couldn't go more then a few days then I splurged on meat. I did that for months before admitting it's not for me, and I am glad I made that switch. And if you were not free of processed foods before, that too no doubt really helped. Congrats.
  • artistsandie
    Options
    Who knows what really did the change for me I was tested and had intestinal biopsy to see if I had Crohn's disease, gluten issues or some parasitic infection, or bacterial infection. All were negative except for interstitial inflammatory disease in the lining of my intestines, caused by chronic reverse osmosis. Which was treated with several regimes of steroids. I had not had any issues with being a practicing vegetarian for over 25 years and moving to being a vegan was a natural progression for me. My life threatening illness was triggered by having my gallbladder removed as I developed a good number of stones from losing weight. Not an uncommon issue. I look more at perhaps soy, or maybe a combination of foods I have a sensitivity to but in combination could trigger huge episodes. Could be as simple as just going totally organic. I'm not going to question it, just embrace it and rejoice. Thank you so much for your input, it's wonderful to have your support.
  • artistsandie
    Options
    OblasMummy wrote: »
    So you eat meat now? I do paleo, my sister is vegan. Whilst we have similar philosophies when it comes to plant based foods we differ quite strongly on meat. I'm not sure I understand a complete change in diet?? Ps I am supportive just interested

If I am understanding you question your asking why I went from Vegan to Paleo? A number of reasons.
    1) I had dropped a good number of medically suggested foods in order to prevent episodes of diarrhea which would leave my calcium and potassium bottomed out along with my CO2. This would require hospitalization. I had grown concerned about roughage irritation as well, high-fiber diet.
    2) I was also having great fluctuations in weight, understandably. But still had the mindset to continue with my weight loss journey. I looked at this intestinal issue as something to be resolved, Not something to give into. I believed and still believe shedding my weight was and is improving my overall health and longevity.
    3) I had also been researching the advantages of clean eating, eliminating foreign toxins from one's diet. Also the physiological impact meat has on the digestive system, it actually slows down the peristalsis and allows absorption. I was on prescribed medicines to do that very same thing. It seemed to me that eating some meat/Animal protein my provide the same relief that was expected from pharmaceuticals. Perhaps with less harmful side effects.

I have not had a episode of uncontrollable reverse osmosis since I started the Paleo diet. In fact a lot of annoying other little symptoms have fallen by the wayside as well. I'm not saying that eating meat is the answer, I dropped a good number of possible irritants from my diet as well. I do hope in time I can increase my plant based diet back to a Paleo Vegan. It would support my Life philosophy much better. Thank you for your query and your support.

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss and finding what works for you.

If I had the funds I would certainly go organic and would buy different foods than I do now, it's just way too expensive for me as I'm not working. I have given up meat, apart from fish and trying to make healthier choices. Hopefully one day I'll be able to change my diet when my finances are better :)
  • artistsandie
    Options
    Friend request sent.

I'm following the autoimmune protocol, as I have multiple autoimmune diseases. It's a bit more strict than regular paleo. I've started reintroducing a few foods though.

Congrats on your amazing loss, too!!

So much to discover about what triggers immune responses that are so harmful. It's an increasing problem, in fact I myself have now encountered two other individuals that are dealing with the same issues I had been dealing with. I do believe that our bodies are bombarded these days with all kinds of pollutants in our environment and our food. Please keep me informed in regards to your progress and your bodies response to introducing foods back into your diet.

• artistsandie
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Congrats on the weight loss and finding what works for you.

If I had the funds I would certainly go organic and would buy different foods than I do now, it's just way too expensive for me as I'm not working. I have given up meat, apart from fish and trying to make healthier choices. Hopefully one day I'll be able to change my diet when my finances are better :)
    It's sad organic is more costly. I'm hoping in time that will change. More demand can actually stimulate the small farms to produce more organic, therefore dropping the cost I have a small container garden I started this year with some basic organic seeds. I also go to our farmers market. This helps me out with the cost. Also check out the web for the lower food contamination lists. The lists are updated fairly regularly This can be helpful in making better choices. If you eat fish, get wild when you can afford it, I look for it on sale. I do the less is more, So I actually have smaller portions and that helps extend my grocery budget as I have reduced consumption. Thank you for sharing, cost is a concern in a healthy eating choices, one I fully understand and believe should not be a burden to chose healthy foods.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I eat more primal than paleo, although I'm starting to think I need to drop the dairy as well...sadly as I LOVE my cottage cheese. I too am stronger and feel better than I ever have in my life. Makes me wish I had done this when I was younger, but you live and learn. I'm sending a friend request, as I need more people for accountability. I am the only one in my household that eats this way, and generally they good naturedly sp? mock me. <sigh>
  • artistsandie
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »
    I eat more primal than paleo, although I'm starting to think I need to drop the dairy as well...sadly as I LOVE my cottage cheese. I too am stronger and feel better than I ever have in my life. Makes me wish I had done this when I was younger, but you live and learn. I'm sending a friend request, as I need more people for accountability. I am the only one in my household that eats this way, and generally they good naturedly sp? mock me. <sigh>

Glad your reaching out here for support. For a good number of years I struggled against the household current, in attempting to do a diet or exercise plan I was on my own. Which Made it easy for me to just give up on myself. I also had an undiagnosed thyroid issue, in fact no thyroid function at all. Allowed me to pack on to my 110 pound frame 253 pounds, I tipped the scales at 364, My health was out the window, I became wheelchair bound. I was a train wreck.
    You can be assured I support whatever works for you, because that's the answer, what works for the individual. I look at this whole thing as a journey, just a moment to moment health practice. It's been interesting finding things that work and understanding the things that didn't. Even getting to know myself better