Struggling with Stonglifts 5x5

Options
I am a 57 year old female cyclist, 5'6" 122 lbs. I ride at least 100 miles a week. I do body weight exercises like planks and pushups, and also work with 10 and 15 pound dumbbells. I thought I was ready for a "real" lifting program so I downloaded the Stronglifts app. OMG. I couldn't lift the 45 lb bar, so I started with 30 lbs. The app tells you to add 5 lbs each time, but I just can't. Its been a few weeks and I'm still stuck at 30 lbs for the bench press and OHP. Am I just just a weakling, or is this normal for a beginner middle-aged female?

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I only add 1-2 lbs at a time. I tried 5, and hit a plateau in just over a month.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Ohp and bench are definitely the ones that increase the least. For me ohp is my nemesis
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest going back to 20lbs or less and go to 1-2lb incease per workout. The other issue you might be running into is diet. If you want to lift bigger, you need to eat bigger. You should at the bare minimum be at maintenance calories, and ideally in a surplus...it doesnt need to be too extreme but 100-200 calories will make a world of difference.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    don't feel bad. I'm middle aged and I can't do it either.
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Its totally, completely, 100% normal.

Go to the app settings and it lets you choose how much it adds each time.

Keep it up and remember there's absolutely no shame in lifting with an empty bar.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to start over with a weight that's easy for me, add weight in smaller increments, eat more calories, and try to trust the process.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    jmaidan wrote: »
    Its totally, completely, 100% normal.

Go to the app settings and it lets you choose how much it adds each time.

Keep it up and remember there's absolutely no shame in lifting with an empty bar.

And if you cant do the bar, pick up a dumbell instead. My wife had to start with dumbells for everything. Even squats she did 20 lb goblet squats.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Lisa_Ookoo wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to start over with a weight that's easy for me, add weight in smaller increments, eat more calories, and try to trust the process.

Perfect. And great attitude.

How is your squat and deadlift? The Bench and OHP are killer, especially for some of us women with less upper body strength. I would stall out on a 5x5 program on those lifts very quickly.
  • rph2t
    rph2t Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this is so reassuring. I am just starting out at well and I Thought I was insanely weak barely being able to lift the bar over my head once or twice. I think OHP was designed by the devil to torture women. And probably men too. Lol. Thanks for the reassurance.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    whats your calories / macros for a 100 miles/week + SL?
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Options
    I'm averaging about 2300 calories a day, and macros % are about 50 carbs, 30 fat, and 20 protein.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I started with 15lbs. and I definitely don't increase by 5 pounds every single time. sometimes I get stuck on something for quite a while before I get to the point of not struggling to finish the 5 sets - most notably, OHP and bench press. that's fine, normal, it's just the way it is.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Options

arditarose wrote: »

How is your squat and deadlift? The Bench and OHP are killer, especially for some of us women with less upper body strength. I would stall out on a 5x5 program on those lifts very quickly.

Squats are easier for me, probably because my legs are strong from cycling and I've already been doing squats as a body weight exercise. I've been lifting 45 lbs for the deadlift but I think I can go heavier for that one.
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. Have no strength whatsoever only in my legs as I used to ski and snowboard. My upper body strength is atrocious so I'm trying to take it one session at a time and take it slower if I need to. Would rather challenge myself and get it done than push myself too far and hurt myself :)