Is too much excersie a hinder to weight loss?

Options
I know my situation is a little different than the usual (I had bariatric surgery 4/19/16) first month I lost 24 pounds :) Beginning of this "weight loss month" I lost 6 more pounds, but for the last two weeks I have been going up and down the same two pounds!

At first, I was told I was not taking in enough protein, so I increased my protein to the appropriate amount for my height. And exercise I have slowly been increasing it from a small amount of walking from surgery date to as of yesterday a little over 2 miles. I also mix up exercising with swimming, stationary bike riding, and very light weight lifting.

I don't mind the slow down, but I would like to see positive movement each week even in one or two pound increments :#

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for you! Too much is not, but this doesn't sound like too much unless it's hurting your body or if your doctor says it's too much.

That said, exercise doesn't do too much for weight loss. At least not as much as people like to think. As lon as you're eating the right amount of calories after your surgery, you'll lose :)

Also, I'm pretty sure there's a group here you can join to find others in similar situations. How much do you have to lose? (Just curious!)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Exercise does not hinder weight loss in any way. Weight loss is not linear, which means you're not going to lose the same amount every week and you're going to have fluctuations. These are FACTS, not based on what we "want".

We all would like to experience steady consistent losses on a weekly basis. I've been at this 2 years fir 140+ loss. I've lost every month, but not every week. I weigh daily so I learn to understand my own fluctuation pattern. Now I can almost predict when I'll be up or down, but I just keep following my plan, day in & day out.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You're not doing to much. You're experiencing normal water weight fluctuations and you should focus on the trend line over a period of weeks rather than daily variances. If you start entering your daily weight ins on Excel you can graph the daily fluctuations along with a trend line and see it very clearly.
  • tjsterch
    tjsterch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for you! Too much is not, but this doesn't sound like too much unless it's hurting your body or if your doctor says it's too much.

That said, exercise doesn't do too much for weight loss. At least not as much as people like to think. As lon as you're eating the right amount of calories after your surgery, you'll lose :)

Also, I'm pretty sure there's a group here you can join to find others in similar situations. How much do you have to lose? (Just curious!)

I have 134 pounds total to lose, I have lost 30 with 104 to go to reach goal. This is a revision surgery for me. My doctor's PA has given me a really hard time about weight loss each time I have seen her and it has made me worried and edgy. She gave me really unrealistic goals "10% month 1, 10% month 2, 10% month 3" so I am no where on track for month 2 and I am not doing anything wrong that I can think of. But I find I am worried I won't be able to lose like I should. The first 6 to 9 months are supposedly critical. :s