Any older men?

Options
Keithx
Keithx Posts: 2 Member
Hi: looking for senior men and their stories, advice, and comments. I am Keith in AL

Replies

• MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    What exactly is "senior?" My athletes think 30 is the end-times.

46 FWIW
  • buttonfeet
    buttonfeet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Is 42 considered old?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    There's this super old guy in my gym in the mornings. Spends all morning talking to me and percolating his tits. I'm all, "dude, I get it: you're 40 with muscles"
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I guess I qualify as an older man (55), however I am not sure how much of a motivation I will bring since I have now gained back 30lbs of the 36lbs that I lost 2 years ago. At least I took my time gaining it back.
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 years old and I just reached my goal weight. My next challenge is stabilizing in maintenance. What are your questions?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Keithx wrote: »
    Hi: looking for senior men and their stories, advice, and comments. I am Keith in AL

47+, no real story different from others. Trying to be the best me I can and fend off "being old" as long as possible for a better quality of life. Biggest thing is, find things you can do consistently every day and plan to do them for the rest of your life. Some changes you have to adjust your life for but don't ever stop working as hard as you can. The moment you stop, you start to age exponentially - that is, you might eat well and workout harder than you ever have for months just to maintain, but you fall off the wagon for a few weeks and balloon up 10 pounds and get out of breath walking. It isn't fair, but as we all know that is life.

All the best.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Bunch of freaking babies.
    It's not funny people.
    Aging is not funny......
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Turned 50 in March and have been at this for 5 weeks and 13lbs.
    Now for my old guy gym horror story...
    There was one guy, probably 70+ who would dry his rectal cavity in the hand dryer, naked cheeks spread wide...
    Let's just say I no longer go there.
  • Fostercatter
    Fostercatter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After skimming through the responses here, it seems like 62 is ancient. Yes, I can start receiving Social Security retirement benefits. But I like to be productive, so I'm gonna keep my job as long as I can. I got involved with MFP because my family physician sent me to a dietician who happens to use MFP. Part of the preparation for weight-loss surgery is to keep track of everything I eat for at least six months (to prove to my medical insurance provider that I'm "serious" about undergoing a weight-loss procedure). I've already exceeded the weight limit, the BMI point, and the co-morbidity requirement for insurance to cover this procedure. It's getting difficult for me to get around. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    There's this super old guy in my gym in the mornings. Spends all morning talking to me and percolating his tits. I'm all, "dude, I get it: you're 40 with muscles"

Sounds like this older gentleman at my previous gym who always came in wearing a tight vest and super short shorts that weren't all that good at keeping things tucked away and frightened numerous young ladies whilst he was on the leg press.
    I guess I qualify as an older man (55), however I am not sure how much of a motivation I will bring since I have now gained back 30lbs of the 36lbs that I lost 2 years ago. At least I took my time gaining it back.

Still 6 lbs down from a couple of years ago, bro.
  • fahjahfajitas
    fahjahfajitas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    51 male here, I stay away from the dryers! I am down 19 lbs and attribute much of it to shopping right. I only shop the outside of my grocery store. Produce is the majority with a run through meats and then straight up through one of the freezer isles. Huge salads with vinaigrette dressings and since I suck at portion control I include a healthy choice steamer meal for supper. Some days I miss my junk food but I finally am getting some comments! I have 40 more pounds to go! Feel free to add me!
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    Options
    this has a "come lets talk behind this bike shed" vibe to it....
  • Cblsplcr
    Cblsplcr Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    this has a "come lets talk behind this bike shed" vibe to it....

Hahaha
  • Cblsplcr
    Cblsplcr Posts: 715 Member
    Options
  • Piloteer2009
    Piloteer2009 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    50 years old. 5'11". Last two weeks down from 200 to 192.5. Goal weight is 180, and I would like to be there at the beginning of August, which is 6 weeks away. Treadmill at home one hour daily at various grades and speeds. Resting heart rate is 50-55 before I get out of bed. BP is around 120/80 most of the time. I log all of my food. 7-8 hours of sleep at night. Doing MFP to be healthier. Not much more to tell.
  • WyshIKnew
    WyshIKnew Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Older guy here. Same story as me. I do know what I did wrong though. By the time I got down to a weight I was happy with, MFP and watching calories became easy. Food was no longer so important to me, I was the boss of my food instead of food being the boss of me. I sometimes struggled to actually eat enough to get up to my daily limit!
    I was so pleased with this new body I relaxed. I omitted to go through maintenance and gradually, week by week, month by month I started to slip back into old habits.
    As the weight slipped back on I thought "never mind, I'll go back on to MFP next week" but, of course, next week came and went multiple times.
    Had a half hearted retry on MFP that I didn't keep up, but back now to finish the job!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 so I guess that qualifies me. I started to get serious in Jan. this year. I went to the Dr and weighed 307.6# and My Dr told me I was pre-diabetic and of course, morbidly obese. (Those two words are disgusting to hear) My A1C was 7.4 . Doc said he wanted to put me on some meds. I said I'd try losing weight first. I did this in 2015 as well..dropped from 304 to 289..and went back up.

So, In Feb I started exercising with my stationary bike and trying to eat better. I quit..one excuse after the other. On Feb 29th I weighed myself and was at 308#. I said..enough is enough.

On March 1st I changed to a 1200 calorie a day diet, and started a love affair with that bike again. I stuck to the calories 1200-1300 pretty strict. I gained some stamina and over time have gotten that bike ride up to 60-75 minutes a day. I am now raising them to around 1600 calories a day. I'm sure I could go more, but I'm seeing great results and gonna keep this going. (My Health coach at work wants me up to at least 1800)

I went back to my Doc April 28th and was down to 273 at that point and my A1C was 5.4! I have kept at this , because it is a lifestyle change, not a diet & exercise routine.

My official weigh-in days are Monday after my workout and shower. Last Monday I weighed in at 255.0 , down 53 pounds so far!

I wish you success on your journey!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    What exactly is "senior?" My athletes think 30 is the end-times.

46 FWIW

It is