All of you who lost weight without gym I need advice.

Options
bhanvi
bhanvi Posts: 133 Member
Hello,
It has been really fun using MFP and losing 18 pounds just by tracking my calories but I am at a point right now where I need to burn 300 calories a day (and eat 1200 ,which is no problem for me). I dont have a gym membership and I own a treadmill which I've used for last 6 months to burn 200 cals a day (3 mph for 44 minutes). Its so hard for me to up the speed on treadmill and last longer than 30 minutes and I dont know any other exercise that could help me burn 300 cals.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with some ideas or your own experience.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Is your treadmill speed adjustable in 0.1 increments? If so, just adjust a little bit and stay there for a few days then adjust up another 0.1. As you lose weight, your calorie burn diminishes and you have to work harder and longer anyway. Can you go longer on time?
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're interested in.

Personally I prefer to do a lot of my exercise outside.

I'm very much into running and I second the advice to look into the C25K program. I started running two years ago with the above mentioned free app. I could have never imagined that I would end up loving to run. Since my beginning I have completed numerous half marathons and a couple of full ones.

Otherwise I love to go biking, roller blading, hiking and walking.

For strength training you can find numerous videos online that teach you body weight exercises.

To burn 300 cal is really easy. As mentioned above a 30 minutes walk can be enough.

Best of luck,
    Stef.
  • grammyvjc
    grammyvjc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use a recumbent bike because I have lots of arthritis. It has been the main thing I do to burn calories. I have lost 32 pounds in the past 4 months. Obviously the speed you pedal and the difficulty setting will affect your burn, but I do medium setting, steady pedaling about 13 mph, and can burn about 225 calories in 30 minutes according to the bike. MFP gives a higher number supposedly because of weight and age which the bike does not consider. I always take the smaller from the bike just to be sure I am not giving myself TOO much credit. Biking with friends would be even better!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Without a gym, you could still go for a run or jog. You could go for a bike ride. You could swim. You could even on YouTube and search home workout routines.
  • orcrist
    orcrist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    3 mph is either a brisk walk or a very slow jog. It sounds like you're trying to break into jogging. You can do it! Runners will tell you to use intervals: run + walk + run. When I started running, I could only jog for about 10 minutes at a time. So, I jogged for 10 minutes, walked for 5, and then jogged for 10 more. After a month or two of doing that 4+ days a week, I could jog for 20 minutes straight. Over time, I built up stamina, and the following year I was jogging much faster for much longer.
  • micropreemiemum
    micropreemiemum Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    go on fitnessblender on youtube, it is fab!
  • bhanvi
    Options
    Thankyou so much everyone for the great ideas.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100+ lbs & I only went to the gym while on vacation or during a company outing. I used YouTube. I started doing dance routines then I worked my way up to advanced workouts. I have dumbbells and an adjustable weight set. I would say that you should find an activity you enjoy and stick with it. Good luck on your journey!
  • bhanvi
    Options
    orcrist wrote: »
    3 mph is either a brisk walk or a very slow jog. It sounds like you're trying to break into jogging. You can do it! Runners will tell you to use intervals: run + walk + run. When I started running, I could only jog for about 10 minutes at a time. So, I jogged for 10 minutes, walked for 5, and then jogged for 10 more. After a month or two of doing that 4+ days a week, I could jog for 20 minutes straight. Over time, I built up stamina, and the following year I was jogging much faster for much longer.

You got me. This is my current situation. I am trying to get into jogging/running zone of treadmill but I can barely go over 3 mph. I will try the interval method you mentioned and hope it works out for me too. Thank you so much for your advice. It sounds weird but I don't want to go out for a walk yet. :( Not until I lose another 15 pounds and look okay running.
  • bhanvi
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    I've lost 100+ lbs & I only went to the gym while on vacation or during a company outing. I used YouTube. I started doing dance routines then I worked my way up to advanced workouts. I have dumbbells and an adjustable weight set. I would say that you should find an activity you enjoy and stick with it. Good luck on your journey!

Thank you so much for your sharing that. I am really interested in dancing /doing fun youtube workouts. I however do not know how to measure the calories burn doing them. Do you use a fitbit or does iphone track it as well? Also, if I may ask ,what youtube channels do you reccommend?
    Thank you so much again.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    bhanvi wrote: »

You got me. This is my current situation. I am trying to get into jogging/running zone of treadmill but I can barely go over 3 mph. I will try the interval method you mentioned and hope it works out for me too. Thank you so much for your advice. It sounds weird but I don't want to go out for a walk yet. :( Not until I lose another 15 pounds and look okay running.

You should really look into the couch to 5k program. There's apps that make it really simple to do. Your first work out is 5 minutes of walking followed by 1 minute of jogging repeated for 30 minutes. It then gradually helps you lengthen that time over the course of 10 weeks to your last work out of 30 minutes of jogging.

Whether you use that or something else, you can do it! :smiley:
  • bhanvi
    Options

Thank you. I am going to check it out right now.
  • bhanvi
    edited June 2016
    Options
    tross0924 wrote: »
    bhanvi wrote: »

You should really look into the couch to 5k program. There's apps that make it really simple to do. Your first work out is 5 minutes of walking followed by 1 minute of jogging repeated for 30 minutes. It then gradually helps you lengthen that time over the course of 10 weeks to your last work out of 30 minutes of jogging.

Whether you use that or something else, you can do it! :smiley:

Thank you so much. I always thought ck25 was something like 21day fix where you have to buy stuff. Haha. I am still learning. But that sounds amazing and perfect for me. I am going to try it out today. <3 thank you soooooo much
  • bhanvi
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like to do incline intervals on the treadmill, 1 min high incline, one minute lower and faster. You can do all of it walking. Couch2 5k is also great for learning how to run. Another idea is to go on youtube and search different workout videos. I've found some really fun cardio/dance, yoga, and circuit workouts. Kendall Hogan, Jillian Michaels, The Firm, and Denise Austin have some good ones.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Pick some areas of your body that you want to work on, choose some exercises, and do some Tabata. The exercises can be pretty much anything, jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, squats, et cetera. Twenty seconds on, ten seconds off, for four minutes per set.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

This definitely! I've always hated the gym and I simply can't find time to fit it in my daily schedule. So I used this for months. Doing a bodyweight program now so I only do fitness blender on the weekends now.
  • hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I did Jillian Michaels DVDs, fitness blender, walking and swimming. Go walking outside its much more enjoyable than a treadmill, you'll get fresh air and be able to enjoy some lovely scenery! Don't put it off because of your weight, there's all shapes and sizes out walking!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!