What makes you get up in the morning?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
Struggling a bit right now... Last week I went to Wizard World and it's what I was really looking forward for months... I met my favorite actor (Tom Hiddleston) and it was amazing plus I got some time to roam around the Reading Terminal Market and enjoy some food (still stayed under maintenance each time too)... It was great! But I've been feeling kinda empty since (plus my mom was here with her boyfriend and it messes up my schedules/habits and I ended up exhausted and eating too much and stressed out).

Now it's the last full week of school for my kids (8) and I just don't have much to look forward to... My TV shows are mostly over, it's going to be days and days of constant bickering and kids bored and messing up the house and just.. ugh. Love my kids but I'm very much an introvert person and having them with me 24/24 is really tough (good thing I have the gym really but the kids get bored there so they argue every time). Plus I hate the humidity and heat here in NJ. June is always hard for me and the only positive I see is that I don't have to pack lunches in the morning (but still got to feed them at lunch, obviously, LOL).

No vacation this year either, so just 2 months of... nothing.

How do you all deal with the routine? For years I'd resort to eating, so that's pretty much out, now I exercise instead but I rarely tell myself 'man I'd really like to go to the gym right now' (except when I need a break from the kids I guess)... Just having a hard time to find something to really look forward to at this point that is not months and months away (I guess the next thing is my shows coming back in September - how exciting. Not).

How do you all do it?

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Usually my bladder. I also have 1 cat in particular that begs and comes to my room to nag me for breakfast.

But I know what you mean about the other stuff. I'm in the exact same position. I made the kids a "summer schedule" and if I don't get up and make them stick to it, the first thing they do is turn on all the electronics, and the day descends into complete chaos.

Out schedule looks something like this: (I typed it up and put it on the fridge)
    8 am breakfast
    8:30 make bed, brush teeth, wash face and hands, etc
    9 outside play
    9:30 reading or crafts
    10 screen time
    12 lunch
    12:30 free time (errands, outside the house activities, library, pool, friends houses, )
    3 pm snack
    (More free time, but I scheduled the snack so they aren't looking in the fridge all day)
    6 pm dinner
    7 clean up time (I assign chores, they clean up after themselves, or they roll "chore dice" which are wooden blocks with a chore on each side, 2 dice = 2 random jobs)
    7:30 bath time, brush teeth
    8:30 bed time/ quiet time (older kids don't have to sleep, just go to their room and be quiet)

They don't like most of this, and they don't like going to the daycare at gym. So I let them skip all the outside play/crafts/reading if they go to the gym with me for an hour, I try to go 3-4 times a week in the summer.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you like to do that's active besides the gym? Hiking, biking, mountain climbing, sky diving?

If there's not maybe pick something new that you think you might like and plan for it in 2 weeks. Do some research, make some prep and then go enjoy. If you like it, plan another one. If you don't, plan a different one.

As for me I'm looking forward to visiting one son in 2 weeks, playing paintball with another in a month, going on vacation in 2 months, and spending evenings relaxing with my wife while binge watching something on Netflix :smiley:
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Honestly today? Game of Thrones. Other days? No idea. I am trying to buy a wifi scale that sets reminders to weigh in in the morning so maybe that will get me out if bed
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible to make them stick to the schedule, so I just try to hit most of the important stuff, and do the things that need to be done, in the order they're listed, for the amount of time assigned.

We also spend time looking for free stuff to do (were in a big city, so easy to find for us) but most of it is basic stuff: park, pool (we go to the free splash park here, or the apt pool at a friend or relatives house) library (books, videos, lots of summer activities) mall playground (free ac!) And my kids are 12, 9 and 4, so I don't let the older ones tell me they're too old for stuff.
  • Francl27
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    It's almost impossible to make them stick to the schedule, so I just try to hit most of the important stuff, and do the things that need to be done, in the order they're listed, for the amount of time assigned.

We also spend time looking for free stuff to do (were in a big city, so easy to find for us) but most of it is basic stuff: park, pool (we go to the free splash park here, or the apt pool at a friend or relatives house) library (books, videos, lots of summer activities) mall playground (free ac!) And my kids are 12, 9 and 4, so I don't let the older ones tell me they're too old for stuff.

Must be rough with those ages!

We'll got to the water park for sure but honestly it's just too hot most days to be outside... so when we go somewhere it's in the morning, then gym in the afternoon. But it's really not things I enjoy (the water park is a nightmare for me, honestly, because it's just too crowded and I HATE crowds). The stuff I enjoy (walking, hikes etc), my kids hate and it's just too hot to do anyway.

But yeah, usually having to pee or my cat (or kids) is what physically gets me out of bed... lol.

Although my question was for everyone too... having to get up to go to work every day must not be very exciting either.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    my son, who is also 8, usually says to me can we get up now? haha

but for summer plans what kinds of things do you like doing? It's summer, the weather is nice, kids are off school time for day trips. I used to take my son up to my parents and we'd take them out but they aren't in the best of healthy right now. but what about pools? My boy is a fish and loves the pool. Hiking is fun. Find some neat trails to hike to and find cool things. If you do a search of family hiking trails you can probably find neat things.

I get the whole fighting thing my nephews are terrors and I told one off yesterday for being rude and mean to my son last night. What if you did like hikes and made like scavengers hunts so they go off and do their own thing.

As Pony mentioned the library is lots of fun too.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm also in NJ so do understand what you mean about the humidity. It's just been terrible lately!
    For me, I'm just happy to be alive and well so that makes me get out of bed in the morning

it sounds like you may in a little rut here. I'm sure we've all been there at some point.
    Do you have 8 kids or just an 8 yr old child? ( My advice would be totally different for both so that's why I asked)
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I am young enough to remember the boredom of an unplanned summer break. My husband and I have not made any concrete plans for this summer, but I try to plan an active date with him at least once a week. So far, we have tried hiking, biking, and walking/shopping around downtown. On my own I have also gone to the gym a few times a week and swimming. Do your kids have any friends nearby? Maybe you can coordinate some sleepovers over the summer, and you could switch back and forth who's hosting (at least you'd have some free time for a day or two every now and then).
  • Francl27
    Options
    Well the pool here is super expensive for the Summer and it's 20 minutes away. I want to buy one for the yard but my husband doesn't want to deal with the maintenance (and the cost, obviously, although it would be cheaper after 3 years than paying for the pool every year).

The library here sucks! And my kids hate hiking (we've done it a few times but the amount of whining and crying is just not worth it).
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well the pool here is super expensive for the Summer and it's 20 minutes away. I want to buy one for the yard but my husband doesn't want to deal with the maintenance (and the cost, obviously, although it would be cheaper after 3 years than paying for the pool every year).

The library here sucks! And my kids hate hiking (we've done it a few times but the amount of whining and crying is just not worth it).

Most large metro areas have a family/kid focused monthly that is online and free to pick up some places. I would check that out to find out about summer activities.

And any chance you can sign them up for some camps/workshops?

So far ours is looking like 1 week home, 2 travel weeks w/my daughter (family), about a month of gym/swimming, then don't know about August yet. We wanted to do a little family trip within the state, but husband says his job will be super busy then.

I'm just super happy it is summer again. Now through around November is pretty nice usually.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make a list of things that you can do for cheap and let them decide and tell them if they don't then you decide and they put up with it. My son whines every time we do something new with him but then he ends up having fun.

we go to the zoo a lot. If you have one memberships aren't cheap but are paid for in the long run. Museum too. We hit up there on hot days since it's air conditioned and usually they have some kids activities on
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how big of a town you live in but where I am there are usually free family friendly events going on just about every weekend.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah I follow websites that give events and stuff!

This wasn't really a thread about my kids though... it was about me, lol. And if we only did what they want (probably water park or pool every day) I'd just go completely insane.

We're doing a couple camps but I don't really want to pay for more right now.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I hear you - honestly it doesn't have to be summer to for me to feel like I'm on a hamster wheel.

This summer my husband is deploying so it'll be me and my three kids. I work three days a week, so they'll be in a summer camp while I work.

The other four days I'll stick to a pretty strict schedule like I do during the school year.

Thankfully my kids love doing things outdoors. One day will be set aside for errands and chores around the house. But Friday and Saturday, I'll plan something fun to do each day, like the zoo or swimming or the movies (matinee). Hopefully that will break up some of the moneteny.

Do your girls like crafts? My mom used to load up on craft projects for me to do during the summer. Stuff that wasn't too messy and took a long time - like a latch hook rug, cross stitch, knitting, paint by numbers...

Do you have regal cinemas by you? They do $1 kid movies on Tuesday mornings.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Life can feel monotonous sometimes.
    It comes down to this - make the best of it.
    Yes it sucks sometimes but I'm sure many people have it much worse. If your biggest problem is being bored and frustrated with your summer routine then your still in good shape;)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I have to sit at a desk in front of a computer for 8 hours every day under flourescent lighting with no windows.
    I'm also not a morning person so hate getting out of bed even on the weekends.
    I do it because it needs to be done and life has to be lived, even if a lot of it is boring.

I'd love to be able to stay home, spend time with my (hypothetical) kids, take them to the zoo, museum, aquarium, pool, etc., and generally have the free time to do all the things I love to do.
    If I was in your position, I'd start a group project with the kids. Build some bird houses/feeders. Put together a fish tank and maybe even breed some fish as a biology lesson. Grow some tadpoles and watch them turn into frogs. Build a model rocket and launch it at the park. Play with mentos and diet coke. Plant a garden and let them pick the flowers/vegetables to grow. Take pottery classes as a family. Get a list of native bird species and see how many you can find at the local park. Go fishing. Have watergun fights in the yard. Even experiment with building your own water guns out of pvc! Volunteer at the local animal shelter as a family. Go to a nature trail and see how many different kinds of bugs you can collect (hiking doesn't have to be just walking around).

Man...wanna trade places?
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I was a SAHM for 23 years, and I feel your pain. What was a lifesaver for me in the summer was the pool. We would hit the gym around 8:30 (yes, complaining, but they had to suck it up =P ), home by 10a to change into pool clothes, I would pack lunches and we were usually off by 11a. A few hours there, home around 3p, change into dry clothes, settle in to watch a movie or TV show for a couple of hours and WAH LAH!! It would be 6pm, husband home and time for dinner.

I hope that helps some. Don't let the kids guilt you out of your gym time - it's important for YOU to feel good about you :)
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    Honestly today? Game of Thrones. Other days? No idea. I am trying to buy a wifi scale that sets reminders to weigh in in the morning so maybe that will get me out if bed

YES! I haven't seen last night´s episode yet, and that´s all that´s getting me through work today.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What makes me get up in the morning?

The fact that I'm lucky enough to be able to. :)