Losing weight whilst on prednisolone?

Options
Has anybody managed this? Last year I went from 250 to 222 before stalling and then getting put on nearly 6 months of steroids (on and off) due to being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. By the time January 2016 rolled around I was up to 264.6. I'm now down to 10mg of the steroids and hoping to wean off over the next 3/4 weeks. I'm also now down to 253 but wondered if anybody else found their weight loss sped up once off the steroids?

Replies

• EllieRR03
    EllieRR03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    All I know is my weight gain speeds up on Prednisolone! :( Have you had any luck? I'm trying to lose weight and just had a Crohn's flare up so back on steroids. I get SO hungry, I don't know how to control the hunger on so little food consumption.
  • Mrsmonas
    Mrsmonas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was on prednisone for 8 months. I know how you feel. I could not control myself. Prednisone is notorious for weight gain. Once I got off things started evening out within a few months.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i am on steroids fro life. down to 10 mg. i do hot yoga once or twice a day, a vegetarian, and could not get weight to budge. over a year i put on about 35 pounds. i had to seek professional help to get the ball rolling, now i just monitor everything on mfp and still do my yoga, i garden by profession and walking. i have lost all the weight i need but about 10-15 #s. i had to do something about the water weight and learn to control my hunger, or eat the right thing when my brain is telling me i am starving. i still have an awful sweet tooth craving,it comes and goes. i allow myself to indulge only occasionally. it is hard, but it can be done, my dr. is amazed, told me to accept it, i looked fine for my age, and don't worry. well that's all good and well, but all my clothes did not fit. so happy to have found this site! jen
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I can't eat or sleep and I want to constantly run and move.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Although I am blaming prednisone for my weight gain that brought me to mfp in the first place (we lived in the woods and I am horribly allergic to poison ivy so I had a course (or 2) every summer for 7 years), I successfully maintained/lost the last time I had to take it. It's not the prednisone that really causes the weight gain, it's the feeding of the rampant hunger. As long as you are mindful of it, track everything, distract yourself when ravenous (maybe go for a walk), and stay in your calorie allocation, you should be to curtail the gain or maybe even lose.
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was on Prednisolone when I was first diagnosed with ulcerative colitis years ago. I gained 40 pounds while on it but I had lost 20 pounds before we could get my ulcerative colitis under control. I was starving all the time I was taking 60 mg a day for about the first 3 months and it took 2 years to wean me off. I've heard people who can lose weight on it but I couldn't. I did stop gaining weight when I was on a lower dosage though.
  • aminalkisses123
    aminalkisses123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I stopped gaining weight after getting off prednisone but gained a total of 30 pounds on it and it has taken me two and a half years to lose that frikkin' 30 pounds. But FINALLY it has come off. People who lose on prednisone are envied by me haha. Just maintaining on prednisone is hard, but I would call it a win if you can maintain. I wouldn't try and lose until after getting off of it. Hang in there!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I maintained my 20 lbs underweight weight on Prednisone while flaring with Crohn's :p but I have since gained it back lol