Need to start some sort of workout

Options
Hi all!
I'm new here and I'm trying to get healthier. I have lost almost 30 pounds since last year but it's really not coming off of my stomach and my arms have gotten very flabby. Does anyone have any recommendations for workouts that a heart healthy as I have heart disease. Not looking to be a bodybuilder. Just tone up.
Thanks!
Bob

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Walking, swimming, hiking, running are all good starters depending on your fitness level.
    Also you can check out Fitnessblender.com for all kinds of free workouts of all types/levels. They also have a great youtube channel which I use for strength (weights) workouts every so often as I don't like going to the gym.
    Currently I'm doing You Are Your Own Gym. It's a bodyweight program. I'm only on the beginner level as I'm not very strong yet. I was extremely unfit when I started MFP in January.
  • qfingers
    qfingers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks capaul! Gonna check it out right after breakfast.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Get approval from your doctor before starting any exercise routine.

A good strength program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life.

For heart health, pick any cardio of your choice and do it most days of the week.

By the way, it's common for the abs to be the last to go. But spot-reduction isn't possible. :+1:
  • qfingers
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thank you Cherimoose! Very helpful :smile:
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to say but like others have said the Doctors know best or have an induction with a trainer at a gym. I joined a few years ago with my father in law who's previously had a heart attack. He did a lot of walking on treadmill, rowing machine, hand bike & exercise bike swimming. Maybe weights would be better suited than cardio with light weights & full body workouts. Squat to shoulder press is a good exercise just ask a professional first
  • qfingers
    Options
    Thanks danhib!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    qfingers wrote: »
    Hi all!
    I'm new here and I'm trying to get healthier. I have lost almost 30 pounds since last year but it's really not coming off of my stomach and my arms have gotten very flabby. Does anyone have any recommendations for workouts that a heart healthy as I have heart disease. Not looking to be a bodybuilder. Just tone up.
    Thanks!
    Bob

fat comes off where it wants so that will take time. there are no exercises that will spot reduce fat. eat in a deficit and do what you can exercise wise. you dont really tone up thats just a phrase used for a certain way the body looks. you can either lift weights in a deficit and,or you can lift in a surplus and build some muscle(which takes time,age plays a part in that as well). do you have more weight to lose? or are you at a healthy weight?
  • qfingers
    Options
    qfingers wrote: »
    Hi all!
    Thanks!
    Bob

fat comes off where it wants so that will take time. there are no exercises that will spot reduce fat. eat in a deficit and do what you can exercise wise. you dont really tone up thats just a phrase used for a certain way the body looks. you can either lift weights in a deficit and,or you can lift in a surplus and build some muscle(which takes time,age plays a part in that as well). do you have more weight to lose? or are you at a healthy weight?

I almost at my desired weight. Shooting for 195