Not hungry but need something to chew?? No gum

Hey guys! I'm not physically hungry, but my head wants something to chew. Gum makes me nauseas. Hard candy is just empty calories and doesn't help the actually chewing. What can I do?

Replies

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    I'd work at breaking it. It can be hard. When you realize it's a desire to chew and not hunger distract yourself. I stopped nail biting with similar distraction system. Though it is different it is the same concept breaking a natural habit. ;) Probably not unlike smokers having to break the hand to mouth habit even when they get to where they no longer desire the cigarette. I had read while I was stopping my nail biting that it can be as hard as breaking a drug addiction. It really really can be hard to change ingrained habits.

In the meantime maybe some low calorie veggies, carrots or something. I know it's not the best chewing motion but the calories would be lower. Just try to break your meals out in 6-8 small ones and maybe you can work away the from needing that "chewing".
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    A toothpick. I've seen a lot of people do that when quitting smoking.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Chew on ice
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    chulipa wrote: »
    Chew on ice

I find this so satisfying.. not in a hunger sort of way, just the crunch and the coldness and the liquid.. I hear it's not very good for your teeth though.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,147 Member
    janjunie wrote: »
    A toothpick. I've seen a lot of people do that when quitting smoking.

You can buy flavored toothpicks. I know there are cinnamon ones out there.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Chew some tobacco?
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    I had read while I was stopping my nail biting that it can be as hard as breaking a drug addiction.

I'd say that statement is pretty offensive and cavalier to anyone who has ever struggled with addiction or watched someone fight/lose their battle with drug/alcohol dependency and addiction.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Twizzlers..not hard candy and a piece is not loaded tons of calories and Sugar Free hard candy does exist like Chiko Sticks, Wherthers, and gummie bears.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Cucumber, celery or 1 cal mints
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    chulipa wrote: »
    Chew on ice

Do not chew on ice. My mom works for a dentist and that's what causes the most broken teeth!

I would say celery or carrots. But it would probably be a good habit to try to break. Good luck.
  • Taliko
    Taliko Posts: 82 Member
    I know I get cravings to chew on stuff occasionally. I have a cup of mint tea. No crunching but it keeps my mouth occupied, tastes nice and doesn't have any calories.