20% Body Fat!

Options
ktfranke
ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
Hey everyone!

I know this may not seem like much to all of you, but for the first time in my life, my body fat percentage has gotten down to 20%!!

I have been "skinny fat," my whole life, with a percentage of 27% on average. And after having 3 babies, I hated my body even more!

I did some research and discovered that it's not my actual body WEIGHT that makes me fit, but the muscle/fat ratio! So I went out and bought a smarttrack scale, and began working towards lowering my body fat percentage, and increasing my muscle mass! I've discovered that cardio machines at the gym are not the main event! And that resistance training is actually pretty fun! I've seen super great results!

So this morning is a huge milestone for me! Whootwoot!!

My goal is to get down to 18%! wish me luck!

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your results!! I love lifting and wish more women would realize the awesome benefits. Good luck on your journey!
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!! I focus on BF% too, less on the weight. It's great to see that number coming down! Great job!
  • coloradokat78
    coloradokat78 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yay! The 3 times I've had gym memberships both cardio and resistance were a main attraction for my visit. And the previous two I belonged to had some locations with hot tubs. I miss that but still love my Anytime Fitness without it but sure do wish it had hot tub options.

I use the circuit machines but would really like to work into heavy lifting with bars. :) Stronglift is a program I want to dig into. Working at squatting with just the bar will start soon. I think my knees will start to handle it shortly.
  • yami0385
    yami0385 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    ktfranke wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

I know this may not seem like much to all of you, but for the first time in my life, my body fat percentage has gotten down to 20%!!

I have been "skinny fat," my whole life, with a percentage of 27% on average. And after having 3 babies, I hated my body even more!

I did some research and discovered that it's not my actual body WEIGHT that makes me fit, but the muscle/fat ratio! So I went out and bought a smarttrack scale, and began working towards lowering my body fat percentage, and increasing my muscle mass! I've discovered that cardio machines at the gym are not the main event! And that resistance training is actually pretty fun! I've seen super great results!

How did you get down to 20%? I am skinny fat as well currently doing ketosis but I'm not losing or gaining weight. I was 163lbs now I'm 138 with belly fat. Currently strength train 4x a week
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! Way to go!!! I know that you will hit your goal soon!!!
  • TiffanyRodriguez13
    TiffanyRodriguez13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cool. It's great.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    yami0385 wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

How did you get down to 20%? I am skinny fat as well currently doing ketosis but I'm not losing or gaining weight. I was 163lbs now I'm 138 with belly fat. Currently strength train 4x a week

if you are not losing or gaining it means you are eating maintenance calories.ketosis is not some magical way to lose weight, It doesnt take much to knock a person out of ketosis. how do you know you are in ketosis?
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    @yami0385 I got down to 20% through doing a combination of HIIT & strength training. Alongside a pretty healthy, balanced diet. The key word being "balanced."

What really nudged my percent down was training for a marathon! You burn fat pretty quickly when you run over 30 miles a week...lol! But the strength training is essential for building a strong muscle base!

I've been looking into ketosis lately, and I'm not convinced that it's a healthy state for your body to be in for prolonged periods of time.. I could be wrong, cause I'm not an expert... But I know that my body functions a whole lot better with 50%plant/vegetable based, unprocessed carbs, 30% protein and 20% healthy fats...

Keep playing around with your macros, don't completely eliminate an entire food group, or try to go on some fad diet...

Congrats on the weight loss! Keep up the good work! Strength training 4X a week is perfect! Maybe you can try adding in some HIIT or some form of intense cardio to get your heart rate up!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    @yami0385 I got down to 20% through doing a combination of HIIT & strength training. Alongside a pretty healthy, balanced diet. The key word being "balanced."

What really nudged my percent down was training for a marathon! You burn fat pretty quickly when you run over 30 miles a week...lol! But the strength training is essential for building a strong muscle base!

I've been looking into ketosis lately, and I'm not convinced that it's a healthy state for your body to be in for prolonged periods of time.. I could be wrong, cause I'm not an expert... But I know that my body functions a whole lot better with 50%plant/vegetable based, unprocessed carbs, 30% protein and 20% healthy fats...

Keep playing around with your macros, don't completely eliminate an entire food group, or try to go on some fad diet...

Congrats on the weight loss! Keep up the good work! Strength training 4X a week is perfect! Maybe you can try adding in some HIIT or some form of intense cardio to get your heart rate up!

there is nothing wrong with ketosis. a lot of people use it to control health issues and weight.people have done it for years with no real health issues. some people can do it and others cannot.some dont find it sustainable enough.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    So glad I came across this thread. I had my body fat re-measured today. I have about 20lb to lose and estimated myself at around 30%. I was pleased to be at 27% but I want to be between 20-24% ideally. I've realized this is far more important to me than the number on the scale. Good job! Very inspiring to read.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!