What to do during dinner at friends/family's house--is it rude to bring my food scale?

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    In my opinion bringing a scale to somebody house (relative, friend or foe), is totally out of place and border line insulting. I use a scale at home myself, but I would never take one with me if I am invited to somebody's house for dinner or lunch, or what ever, and I wouldn't appreciate a guest weighing their food at my table either (unless it is for a very important medical reason, of course).

OP do you take the scale to a restaurant too? What is the purpose of taking a scale if as you said, don't know how the meal was prepared? You are going to estimate the whole count any way.

If you are concerned about your calories, just increase your deficiency a couple days prior to the event or increase your activities and don't eat back your exercise calories. Then you will have more calories available and less worries when you go to your friend's house or out to dinner at a restaurant.

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh my husband's food whether we are at home or not. My friends and family are totally fine with me doing so in their homes and even make sure I know ingredients and rough amounts to help out. Nobody thinks it's weird.

I think it may depend too on your relationship with your host - are you comfortable asking to use your scale or borrow theirs?
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think it is a little tacky to do it at someone else's house. My family already teases me for doing it at home. They stopped teasing me so much once they saw the pounds dropping off :)

When I am out to eat or at a friend's house, I just do my best estimate and I usually log a little more than what I estimate just to be safe. Or I'll just eat a little less than my allowance that day. There are lots of ways to get around it.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If a guest in my home whipped out a food scale and started weighing the food I had spent hours preparing, you can bet your bottom dollar they would never be invited back.

Yeah...I wouldn't. With family...maybe. But at someone else's home? No way. And I'm one who weighs everything I possibly can. I think it's easy enough to just eat light beforehand, and save the bulk of your calories for the event. Make your best guess with calories/portions. Have a small piece of whatever dessert there is, and then call it good. It's one day so whether you end up slightly over (or under) isn't going to hurt anything.

I'm sorry but toting a scale and analyzing a meal someone prepared for you is just wrong....
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take the scale with me. I would just make my best guess. I might ask for a recipe but other than that I would just guess.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and entertain, and I would not mind if someone brought one to my home -- not worth getting upset about, from my perspective. I try to do whatever I can to make my guests feel at home, so they can use their scale (or mine) if they'd like.

That being said, it sounds as if quite a few people would find it offensive. So, you'd be taking a risk of offending your host. Probably not worth it when you could just eyeball it for one meal.

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it personally, and unless you know exactly what is in the food and how it was cooked, you are going to be estimating anyway.
    I think that estimating food when you are out and about is an important skill to learn along the way, look at this as a chance to practice.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I have taken a scale to CLOSE family get togethers, family members that are aware and supportive of my newfound lifestyle. I know how certain things are prepared, so it's easy for me to weigh it out, create a recipe of their home cooked meal, and log appropriately. No one was insulted.

A barbecue or potkuck where everyone brings their own stuff though? Nah. I eat sensible while enjoying myself. I guess the best I can, and avoid things overly dense in calories or things I know I can easily overindulge in. Example: I might have some slaw on a hot dog at a cookout, but I'll opt for melon for dessert while everyone else is having the banana pudding. (If I can fit the pudding in my day, though, I'm having it!!!) Most people aren't gonna notice if you pass over the mac and cheese, or don't eat a roll, or take less ice cream than normal.

Just enjoy yourself. :)
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be rude to bring your scale, but unless you have fellow MFPers in your family circle, they'll probably think it's a bit odd. When I'm out I usually eat light and estimate. That or just write the experience off as a cheat day. However, I don't frequently enjoy large meals away from home. If I did, I might just risk my relatives dumbfounded looks and bring along my scale.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    you can always ask them beforehand if they would mind you bringing your scale with you.personally i would take a small piece of meat ,and lots of veggies to fill my plate.or you could ask the hosts for a small plate to eat your food in,instead of a regular size .
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It would be horribly gauche but perhaps not rude.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you go over you limit for one day, nothing will happen to you. And if you gain a pound, so what?
  • boomboom70
    boomboom70 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think it would be cringey to whip out a scale at a friend's bbq! Not sure if it's rude, but if instinctively feels anti social and anti fun!
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    boomboom70 wrote: »
    I think it would be cringey to whip out a scale at a friend's bbq! Not sure if it's rude, but if instinctively feels anti social and anti fun!

You wouldn't get a lot of dirty looks. But you would get a lot of funny looks. And people would be talking about you in their cars on the way home.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    As somebody who is used to using a food scale, if I was a host I would not have a problem with anybody bringing theirs and using it. However, you have to acknowledge that a lot of people don't use one habitually, and they would find it at least odd, if not rude. You have to weigh up (lol) how close you are to the host, how much you think they'll notice/mind, and how much you think you need to use it.

As an aside, my MIL refuses to eat eggs that haven't come from a supermarket, and we use eggs from my mother's free-range, pet chickens. It absolutely drives me insane when the MIL demands to see the packaging before she'll consider eating an egg at our house, and if I don't produce any she won't touch anything with eggs in. Some people would see bringing a food scale in the same light.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    I think food scales are ridiculous anyway for losing weight. I do think it would be rude or weird. I just make my best estimate and i just make a small plate.

Yeah... no. Your blanket statements make you sound ridiculous.

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    As somebody who is used to using a food scale, if I was a host I would not have a problem with anybody bringing theirs and using it. However, you have to acknowledge that a lot of people don't use one habitually, and they would find it at least odd, if not rude. You have to weigh up (lol) how close you are to the host, how much you think they'll notice/mind, and how much you think you need to use it.

As an aside, my MIL refuses to eat eggs that haven't come from a supermarket, and we use eggs from my mother's free-range, pet chickens. It absolutely drives me insane when the MIL demands to see the packaging before she'll consider eating an egg at our house, and if I don't produce any she won't touch anything with eggs in. Some people would see bringing a food scale in the same light.

My MiL only drinks bottled water. She once took a bottle of water out of my fridge and declared how much better it was than tap water. I refrained from telling her that I hang onto empty water bottles and fill them from the tap so I always have a supply of cold water.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options

My MiL only drinks bottled water. She once took a bottle of water out of my fridge and declared how much better it was than tap water. I refrained from telling her that I hang onto empty water bottles and fill them from the tap so I always have a supply of cold water.

Nice one! I love when people make fools of themselves without knowing.

I do recycle old egg boxes, but she's so insistent about knowing the origin of these eggs, and I can't actually lie to her face about them. It drives me nuts, I just cannot see how supermarket eggs are better than homegrown ones.
    If she didn't ask I'd serve her "real" eggs and I'm sure she wouldn't complain. *eyeroll*