Lean Cuisine and Slim Fast.

Options
Does anyone eat Lean Cuisine meals and or use Slim Fast shakes?
Over ten years ago I lost 50lbs in three months by eating Lean Cuisine meals everyday and drinking Slim Fast as a replacement meal.
I'm having a difficult time now because I'm older and just starting out again.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're satisfied by them, go ahead and use them. But many find more success in eating more whole foods and avoiding sodium-filled frozen meals or meal replacement shakes that do little to teach about nutrition.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Also how realistic is that for long-term success? Can you keep the weight off long term?
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think the proof that they don't work lies in your admission that you gained weight after losing it. I know, I've made the same mistake.
    I think the further your 'reducing' diet is from your 'normal' eating regime, the less likely you are to maintain weight loss. Try soups and milkshakes instead. And use a few exercise calories to make homemade food from fresh ingredients.
    Convenience slimming products are fine in an emergency, or once in a while. But they are not useful for finding your 'forever' diet. They are also excruciatingly expensive.
  • StephanieDL1
    StephanieDL1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am big believer in - do what works for you there is so much judgment with someone's choices - that being said, losing weight is more of a 'lifestyle' change. By buying frozen meals or shakes, you are not learning how to select, cook and portion whole nutritional foods which is a huge component on maintaining your weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Also how realistic is that for long-term success? Can you keep the weight off long term?

This^

I did SlimFast years ago....yet here I am again. I don't want to be a repeat customer.

I use Lean Cuisine meals from time to time.....but they are NOT a substitute for portion control. I do measure & log regular food too.

Measuring & logging the (same) food that you will be eating during maintenance is eye-opening. Learning appropriate portion sizes gives you tools to keep the weight off.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I eat Lean Cuisines for a quick meal once and a while, but not routine.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a friend who used diet shakes ... I think it was slimfast ... to lose weight but she ended up gaining it back after she went to regular food again.

I tried eating prepared meals as a means to get me started on losing weight at one time. It was more to get my body used to smaller quantities of food than as a means to weight loss. But then I ended up with a health problem because my sodium intake was too high and so I had to go back to eating regularly prepared foods.

On another note, I always was curious about how come the small portions of food actually consumed in these prepared meals was able to keep my satiated when regular food in those quantities left me ravenous. This made me suspicious of what all those ingredients whose names I could not pronounce were and wondered if I'd be better off without them.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Lean Cuisine ALL THE TIME....as I have grown on this journey I have found that whole foods give me more food to eat and much less sodium. Lean cuisines are very small for the calories.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I don't like Lean Cuisine brand because the sodium levels are too high-- but I do occasionally eat other brands such as Healthy Choice or Evol.

I don't find meal replacement shakes like Slimfast to be at ALL satisfying-- they don't fill me up, and leave me feeling hungery. I'd rather have a big huge pile of salad or a big bowl of veggie soup with lots of fiber in in so I actually fell FULL.
  • missionsbound
    missionsbound Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't drink slim fast but I do drink a protein shake for breakfast in the morning and occasionally for dinner as well. I try to avoid TV dinners because of the sodium.