70/15/15 macros

Options
70% being carbs
Im a transitioning vegan (dont eat meat fish eggs or dairy and progressing to cut out dairy in eg choc)

Is it bad for my carbs to be so high?

A few weeks ago i pushes for i think 25% protein and of course i can do it but i love having fruit amd veg based meals.

Also my sugars are always atleast double what mfp says it should be...

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think it's more serious your fat being so low. But percentages don't tell much. It can be OK if you are very active and need lots of fuel. What's your calorie goal?
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think it's more serious your fat being so low. But percentages don't tell much. It can be OK if you are very active and need lots of fuel. What's your calorie goal?

Would it be better 20% fat 10% protein ? I read something before amount a suggestion for absolute minimum macros but couldn't find it again.

My calorie goal is 1450 + any Fitbit exercise calories

• kommodevaran
    Options

Would it be better 20% fat 10% protein ? I read something before amount a suggestion for absolute minimum macros but couldn't find it again.

My calorie goal is 1450 + any Fitbit exercise calories

You need enough fat and protein - 1 gram of each per kilo of bodyweight at goal weight is a reasonable goal, but the healthy range is wide.

Are you deliberately aiming for as much carbs as possible at the expense of protein and fat?
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    No not trying to load in carbs but my lunch and dinner are always veg heavy which is obviously mostly carbs then i snack on fruit etc
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I had a look at your diary. You could use more nuts and oil, and eat fewer cereal bars? I eat meat, so I don't think I can help you further. Hopefully some vegetarians will come along. There are vegan/vegetarian groups in here, have you tried them?
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    Haha yep def could eat less cereal bars
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    Do you have any suggestions for healthy fats noy avo or nuts? I will try to plan my meals better this week!
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I'm sure they are tasty :D but you have to be careful with what you "spend" your calories on if you want to lose weight. Do you like (dried) beans and lentils? Beans and rice is a good way for vegetarians to get protein.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    Chickpeas and black beans are good but i just dont eat them! Will make sure to get those into my diet some more (goes to soak chickpeas now haha)
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Good to hear! Your diet looks very delicious, by the way, makes me hungry, lol! Lots of fresh foods and a lot of variety. Add a little more "substance" (pulses are nice, and all kinds of nuts, and don't skimp on the oil (without overdoing it - measure carefully)), and you have a very healthy diet in, my opinion.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help, hopefully ill be able to perfect a healthy diet with some treats
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Oh, I missed one post. You don't eat nuts? None? What about seeds? Oats has some fat. No avocado? What about olives?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lentils.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    I cant stand olives nor avocado - dont judge me! The same with nuts, not really enjoyable for me. Oats everyday i couldnt live without them
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I cant stand olives nor avocado - dont judge me! The same with nuts, not really enjoyable for me. Oats everyday i couldnt live without them

I'm right there with you :D

But nuts, I'd go nuts without them, I have nuts every day :p Oats are a staple here too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Here are non-nut based fats: tofu, hemp seed, soy milk, soy beans, flax seed, chia seeds, olives, tempeh.
    Also coconut oil oil, macadamia nut oil, olive oil.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you don't like nuts, how about seeds? Pumpkin seeds, flax and chia have some great nutrient profiles. Also what about hummus? Soy products and even breads have some fat in them, too. My macros are basically 70/15/15 but more often I eat 80/10/10. About 1-2 days of the week I eat any amount of fats I want, up to 30% usually.

Even though I eat ~80% carbs I'm not too strict about it, I only eat this way because it makes me feel super good. :)
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I read something before amount a suggestion for absolute minimum macros but couldn't find it again.

Fat as a minimum should be 0.25g/lb, protein sits at 0.7-1.1g/lb.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    Thanks this was the info I was looking for
    VisofSer wrote: »
    I read something before amount a suggestion for absolute minimum macros but couldn't find it again.

Fat as a minimum should be 0.25g/lb, protein sits at 0.7-1.1g/lb.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No not trying to load in carbs but my lunch and dinner are always veg heavy which is obviously mostly carbs then i snack on fruit etc

Actually, many vegetables have a decent percentage of protein (not complete protein, but it shouldn't be necessary to do 70% carbs). That said, if you enjoy eating that way and make an effort to get the full range of necessary fats, I suspect it's fine. There are plenty of low fat ways of eating that have good outcomes. I would not cut protein below 15%, and I would focus hard on including good fats, like the nuts and seeds others have suggested, olives, avocados. Total grams matter more than percentage.