Bacon!

Options
Confusion over bacon calories....My Walmart Great Value Bacon says 190 cals for 2 slices...but my Schniders bacon shows 35 calories (after being fried and drained) for a piece....Would most of the calories from the bacon be lost in the fat that renders out? Which one do I trust?

Replies

• HoldTheDoor13
    HoldTheDoor13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    35 sounds pretty low for bacon dude. I'd go with the higher estimate or just base it off a generic brand
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That seems really low. Do the macro math and see if it makes sense. Fat = 9 calories per gram, protein is 4 calories per gram. Bacon should not have even a gram of carb or something is odd. What do you get?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The great value is including the fat (bacon grease), and the other isn't. The latter is likely center cut, so it's leaner.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    For 1 fully cooked bacon strip 35-40 calories is typical.
  • jdm1726
    jdm1726 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    VisofSer wrote: »
    That seems really low. Do the macro math and see if it makes sense. Fat = 9 calories per gram, protein is 4 calories per gram. Bacon should not have even a gram of carb or something is odd. What do you get?

OP is from US, their bacon is different than UK bacon.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You really must weigh your bacon on a kitchen scale because it is so high calorie and there is variation in cutting.

Then you have to make sure you choose the correct raw or cooked entry, whether or not you were planning on using the grease or not and whether you weighed raw or cooked.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I always cook my bacon in the Microwave until crispy, 2 1/2 min for two slices, on paper towels to drain the fat out, I log it as 25 calories 2 grams of fat per slice as that is the info I have found for it cooked that way. Haven't had any issues with it, ever.