thoughts on frozen meal

Options
what do you guys think of smart one meals? are they bad..will it be harder for me to drop weight?..i know its higher is sodium but i only am taken in 1200 calories and i have been eating one for dinner every night ..thoughts please or meal ideas lol

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For convenience and portion control, they're great. Some are really tasty, too!

But for how tiny they are, they seem high in calories. If you make your own, for instance, chicken enchilladas and brown rice, you'd be able to eat a LOT more for the same calories and less sodium.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think they are great for lunches. I use the Lean Cuisine for lunch at school because it's quick and easy and way better than cafeteria food, especially if I'm in a clinical class (I'm a nursing student) so as long as there is a freezer it's a great option for lunch.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE the Smart Ones and Lean Cuisine, but I was really struggling w/ controlling sodium, so for that reason I let them go. I do buy them occasionally and they are great for convenience-sake. If you don't struggle w/ sodium then they might be a good choice for you. I prefer to prepare my own meals to last me a few days that way I can control what is in them.
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    I don't recommend them all the time, but for convenience they're great. And it offers portion and calorie control for those who really need/want it. The sodium(like with canned soups and things) are what you need to watch out for. Also, the prices, like with fast food, can add up.
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I get sick of eating the same things all the time. I guess I lack creativity. I have to cook meals for the rest of my family and I don't want to often make two different ones. I like the Healthy Steamers. They taste amazing, they are a decent portion and I'm always full after. I would say I have two of those a week. In my mind it would be no different than someone who is signed up with Weight Watchers or whatever and having their food delivered or however it works, I just don't spend as much money!

I found the dinners always gave me a clearer idea of calories and portion size so that when I am out somewhere I have some perspective.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out on this journey, I think they are good stepping stones toward portion control. I used to eat Lean Cuisines all the time.

However, these are LOADED with sodium, so please be aware of that. I retain water like crazy when I eat a lot of sodium, so I used to get really discouraged by the numbers on the scale and just give up!! Turns out I just needed to reduce my sodium intake to get a little bit more stability with my weigh-ins.

My recommendation would be that if you do feel it's necessary to eat frozen meals, that you make sure you track your sodium intake in your Food Diary. This way if you have any weird fluctuations you can see if sodium was the culprit.

Good luck to you -- and I recommend the Butternut Squash Ravioli!
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Your right about the salt content....crazy huh?! I rarely eat them, but i do try to keep a couple in the freezer just in case of emergency if i'm out of fresh foods and havn't made it to the store. It's better than nothin for somethin quick in a pinch. The florentine lasagna is really good.:drinker:
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I get sick of eating the same things all the time. I guess I lack creativity. I have to cook meals for the rest of my family and I don't want to often make two different ones. I like the Healthy Steamers. They taste amazing, they are a decent portion and I'm always full after. I would say I have two of those a week. In my mind it would be no different than someone who is signed up with Weight Watchers or whatever and having their food delivered or however it works, I just don't spend as much money!

I found the dinners always gave me a clearer idea of calories and portion size so that when I am out somewhere I have some perspective.

I LOVE healthy steamers! They're the best when you just don't have the time. I eat them about once or twice a week myself.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I eat them most work week days...I know not the healthiest but the most convenient and easiest for me.

I am losing just fine.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice and Amy's have some that are low sodium and they are very good. I eat them sometime. :flowerforyou:
  • beckyann858
    beckyann858 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    As a busy single mom with a full time job, I am all for frozen meals! When I'm running late in the morning, I can grab one out of the freezer and lunch is taken care of. Sodium or not, it's better than running to McDonald's for burgers and fries! I try to make sure to drink plenty of water to combat the excess sodium, and I've also recently been getting the Healthy Choice Steamers because the sodium content seems a little lower. Also, Costco has been selling them in 4 packs for around $9, so not necessarily cheap, but again, still a better option than a fast food lunch!
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    i have some to use only in a pinch and because of their size i always add a huge salad.
  • misslauren88
    misslauren88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like the ones by Amy's Kitchen. I've never liked the texture of the meat in microwavable dinners, so Amy's vegetarian meals are great for that. They have a macaroni and soy dinner, you would never guess that there's no actual cheese in it. Many of their meals are at least 70% organic and are really filling. I had a vegetable lasagna today that was really yummy, I can't wait to try the veggie shepard's pie tomorrow. And although sodium is still an issue (as with any microwavable dinner) it's not nearly as bad as others I've tried.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the new Healthy Choice - All-Natural dinners. The Portabella Spinach Parmesan is my favorite, since I do not eat a lot of meat. They seem to be lower in sodium, and definitely lower than most things on any fast food menu! :wink:
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As a busy single mom with a full time job, I am all for frozen meals! When I'm running late in the morning, I can grab one out of the freezer and lunch is taken care of. Sodium or not, it's better than running to McDonald's for burgers and fries! I try to make sure to drink plenty of water to combat the excess sodium, and I've also recently been getting the Healthy Choice Steamers because the sodium content seems a little lower. Also, Costco has been selling them in 4 packs for around $9, so not necessarily cheap, but again, still a better option than a fast food lunch!

Wow. Here in Canada one meal is like 4.50.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love them! Eat them 3 or 4 nights a week! I always add veggies to them.....steam brocolli, mushrooms, green beans....or add a salad. you can add fruit too.....Very good portion control! Good luck!
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    To much sodium in them for me. I have to keep it down
    but if you do eat them make sure you drink a ton of water.
  • alligatorsmile
    Options
    I think I have seen a couple of these Lean Cuisines/Smart Ones available in a "lower" sodium. It may not be too significant, but it's something... But, I feel your pain and am not only busy, but annoyed with preparing a lunch every day. This takes an extra 5 minutes at the most, but try a Flat Out (or something similar) + mayo or mustard + deli or lunch meat + cheese + 1/4 avocado (so you get 4 days out of it) and it's real easy to prepare and easier if you are on the go... good luck!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't like them. First of all they are full of chemicals and very little nutrition. Second, they are very small portions. For the same amount of calories you could eat so much yummy fresh foods. But, that's just me and to answer your question, no I don't think there is any evidence that they will actually hurt you.
  • mamarazook
    mamarazook Posts: 28
    Options
    you guys really want to help everyone..this site is great! if anyone has recipes to share i would so love it!! this is all so new and i want to succeed but i have no idea where to start...thanks =)