Waist cincher success for loose belly?

Options
2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    They absolutely do not work and they can potentially cause serious damage including internal organ failure and death.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    And these things can weaken both core and back muscles causing more problems.

^^^this^^^ With a wrap of any type on you may look better but it allows your muscles to relax and that's not what you want. If you want a flatter belly, trust me, work on the ab muscles and all of the muscles in your body on a set schedule. With everything you do, keep your abdominal muscles taught, it helps support your back and strengthens those muscles. Eat at a deficit and the fat will go away eventually. It may, however, be the last to go. I hit my goal almost 2 months ago and have been on maintenance. My belly is much flatter in clothes, but I still see it in the mirror every morning. The only way I'm going to get rid of the rest of it is to drop to about 10% body fat because it's the last to go on a man. That means I'm probably going to have to go 10lbs under my goal wieght. So I keep up exercise, strength training, and most of all cardio six days a week and I eat at maintenance and continue to log and stay in my macro goals. It's working, but it's going slow. You just have to have patience. I also exfoliate every day any areas where there is loose skin. It doesn't seem like it helps, but over time it does. The last thing I'll mention is that you need to drink plenty of water. Set yourself to drink up to a gallon a day and stick to it. I rarely drink a gallon, but with other things that I drink I probably come close. All of that keeps your skin hydrated, increases its elasticity, and allows it to tighten back up over time.
  • BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
    Options
    Could it at least help with skin tightening in that the stomach isn't being pulled down as much by gravity (assuming there is loose skin to tighten). Same way a bra provides support?

Exactly what I wanted to know! :)

• BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
    Options
    And these things can weaken both core and back muscles causing more problems.

^^^this^^^ With a wrap of any type on you may look better but it allows your muscles to relax and that's not what you want. If you want a flatter belly, trust me, work on the ab muscles and all of the muscles in your body on a set schedule. With everything you do, keep your abdominal muscles taught, it helps support your back and strengthens those muscles. Eat at a deficit and the fat will go away eventually. It may, however, be the last to go. I hit my goal almost 2 months ago and have been on maintenance. My belly is much flatter in clothes, but I still see it in the mirror every morning. The only way I'm going to get rid of the rest of it is to drop to about 10% body fat because it's the last to go on a man. That means I'm probably going to have to go 10lbs under my goal wieght. So I keep up exercise, strength training, and most of all cardio six days a week and I eat at maintenance and continue to log and stay in my macro goals. It's working, but it's going slow. You just have to have patience. I also exfoliate every day any areas where there is loose skin. It doesn't seem like it helps, but over time it does. The last thing I'll mention is that you need to drink plenty of water. Set yourself to drink up to a gallon a day and stick to it. I rarely drink a gallon, but with other things that I drink I probably come close. All of that keeps your skin hydrated, increases its elasticity, and allows it to tighten back up over time.

Thank you! So, it is going to take time!

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Could it at least help with skin tightening in that the stomach isn't being pulled down as much by gravity (assuming there is loose skin to tighten). Same way a bra provides support?

Exactly what I wanted to know! :)

A bra supports what's there....if they are saggy and baggy before you put them in a bra they will be saggy and baggy once you take them out of the bra.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I use one of those cheap Velcro ab wraps when I do plyometrics ONLY because the up and down motion of my belly fat and skin without it is pretty painful. I'm looking forward to not using it when my roll shrinks a little more. :p
  • SuperSaiyanGoddess86
    SuperSaiyanGoddess86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No ladies she worked out in it for only 1 hour a day and lost 16 inches in her stomach plus her back and bra rolls are gone. she was 250 lbs and now she is 205
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ladyjaye25 wrote: »
    No ladies she worked out in it for only 1 hour a day and lost 16 inches in her stomach plus her back and bra rolls are gone. she was 250 lbs and now she is 205

Nope. ..just no....a piece of elastic doesn't make you miraculously lose weight or inches.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So, it is going to take time!

I'd say so, yes. I have a belt hanging on my weight bench. I see it there every morning and ignore it because all it did was allow my muscles to relax in my midsection while wearing it. I've been much more successful building my abs on my own. I've been working on my abs 6 days a week along with a caloric deficit for the last 1.5 years. I still have that small amount of belly fat around the belly button that I wish that belt would help but it doesn't. I've been seeing it slowly shrink over the last few months but it's probably going to take a period of a couple of years, and honestly may never be perfect (I was simply overweight for too many years). I now have six pack abs, and even nicely developed obliques and you can see it all the way to about an inch away from my belly button then there's loose skin and whatever leftover fat/loose skin that's hiding under there. There's probably nothing at this point short of plastic surgery that would fix that quickly, so I just keep working on it and I work on dropping body fat by being at a very slight deficit (based on exercise (TDEE), not a deficit for BMR). I'm not so much in a deficit these days, I'm at maintenance so I'm concentrating on maintaining and building muscle in that area as well as everywhere else. Lately I've been working on my upper back and my chest so that it may provide some lift to that area as well. I figure in a year or two I'll know if it will go away without surgery. To be honest, I probably won't ever have surgery, it's just a waste of money since I'm happily married, have raised all my kids, and my wife likes me just the way I am. I need to impress no one other than her. ;) My goal was to be a normal weight, build muscle around the parts of my spine that cause me pain, and to maintain that weight and fitness level long term. So far I've achieved that goal, the mid-section looking nice is just icing on the cake, but honestly I can do without it and can certainly wait it out if necessary.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!