Alcohol

tiddolski
tiddolski Posts: 32 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a few bad habits I need to break but one of them is binge drinking and then eating while drunk.
I just finished a 3 day bender which isn't good. I think I need to swear off alcohol in general for a few months. Any one got any tips or tricks? And moderation hasn't worked previously for me

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    well if it causes you to binge eat then cut it out completely. its just empty calories anyway. and why swear off for a few months? what happens in a few months? losing weight is a lifestyle change not something short term.
  • tiddolski
    I was thinking a few months so that I don't feel like I need to binge drink anymore. I do catch up with a couple of friends here and there over 1 or 2 drinks. Maybe instead of alcohol I could have just a soda or something.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    yeah that would work if alcohol is a trigger. have a virgin drink. they dont need to know theres no alcohol in it :)
  • tiddolski
    And losing weight hasn't been short term for me I had to change my life style a few years ago due to health reasons, it's just recently alcohol has become a problem.
  • neckbreaka
    neckbreaka Posts: 3 Member
    Don't just stop drinking or else you will go nuts and think about drinking while you're not drinking making it harder to quit. You need to find a hobby/activity to replace what you normally do while drinking. Repeat the new hobby/activity for about a week and you will have adjusted nicely and staying sober will be easier.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    tiddolski wrote: »
    And losing weight hasn't been short term for me I had to change my life style a few years ago due to health reasons, it's just recently alcohol has become a problem.
    I totally understand. yeah I would if possible stop while you can. if you think you need help stopping there are always support groups out there. not trying to be rude here. my mom is an alcoholic so I know how it begins, and can easily become a habit is all. not trying to come across the wrong way,if I am I apologize as its not my intention.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    neckbreaka wrote: »
    Don't just stop drinking or else you will go nuts and think about drinking while you're not drinking making it harder to quit. You need to find a hobby/activity to replace what you normally do while drinking. Repeat the new hobby/activity for about a week and you will have adjusted nicely and staying sober will be easier.

some people have to quit cold turkey since she stated that moderation doesnt work for her. so she needs to remove all temptation.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Alcohol is a slippery slope food, as is soda. It is difficult to choose being lonely and sober vs. being drunk with friends, but at least you are seeing that crossroads. Any chance any of the other drunk friends wants to go sober with you? Or at least support your moderation?
  • tiddolski
    Yeah I believe I need to remove all temptation to be honest.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    If you can't have a drink without going into a major booze fest you need to do some research on alcoholism.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    neckbreaka wrote: »

some people have to quit cold turkey since she stated that moderation doesnt work for her. so she needs to remove all temptation.

I think she's suggesting having alternative activities to replace the drinking. Instead if catching up over drinks, go play mini-golf or rock climbing. That type of idea.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Solution; don't drink. Solves all problems
  • crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    Not gonna lie, the main reason I cut down the alcohol is the calories. I'm an extreme heavy weight, and would drink a 300ml bottle of vodka straight in a short amount of time, but wouldn't get very drunk, so I gave up and started drinking just for the pleasure rather than the drunk state.

Also, when I saw that my belly area started to get affected that was enough to make me stop. I haven't given up completely, and when I go out I do enjoy a drink, but I don't drink away until I can feel it because by that time I would have taken in a few hundred of these calories.

So just have a good think of the effects it has on your body, and if that is something you are okay with, because I know I'm not. But don't vow to not drink for months because a restriction can be mentally draining and make you feel *kitten* on a night out. Just choose not to drink, but know that it's not because you are forcing yourself and you can't, but because you are making a conscious choice based on the fact it won't be good for you. See the difference?
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    edited June 2016
    A three-day bender definitely isn't good, both for calories and your health, but you know that obviously.
    How regular are these benders? And do you have alternatives for your social live?

I love a good session and I have one coming up on Saturday, which I will enjoy without guilt. However I will ensure that I stay well within calories for the rest of the week and I won't be drinking a drop of alcohol other than that day.
  • GrowlingLucifer58
    GrowlingLucifer58 Posts: 21 Member
    I agree with doing something else to take your mind off it - I can quite happily down far too much wine in an evening, so what I've taken to doing is pouring myself half a glass, going upstairs to work on my writing (which keeps the hands busy and the mind occupied, lol) then just sipping at it. It might not work for you - but it's definitely helped me cut down a bit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Volunteering to be the designated driver (sober of course!) gives a completely socially acceptable reason (as though we really need a reason....) to decline/avoid drinking alcohol when you are at a social event involving drink.

Also makes you very popular with your friends. :)
  • ianwilson67
    ianwilson67 Posts: 23 Member
    i still drink quite heavily but i've changed to red wine and diet lemonade, 1 bottle of red wine is equivalent in calories to just 2 pints of beer or 3 cans/4 bottles, i always make sure i have 500 calories left on an evening to compensate for the wine. i know if i stopped drinking i could lose weight quicker but i enjoy it too much! previous to my diet i drank 8 cans per night or 6 pints, moral is don't stop what you enjoy, just replace with a lower calorie option. good luck.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Solution; don't drink. Solves all problems

Yes of course - it's just that simple for someone who has a drinking problem.

Sarcasm :s
  • tiddolski
    I don't drink all the time but when I do I binge drink. I drink roughly twice a month. It's just easy to find yourself on a slippery slope when it comes to alcohol. I have noticed my habits lately have been a little worse. So I'm trying to be proactive about it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Try 30 days. Hang out with your friends, but tell them you're going without alcohol for 30 days to see if it helps you feel better or have less anxiety or make your blood work better or sleep better. If your friends don't feel judged or don't feel like they're losing you forever, they will probably be supportive. Like its Lent or something.

Then after 30 days, you'll know more about yourself and you'll know better who your true friends are.