Alcohol

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Solution; don't drink. Solves all problems

Yes of course - it's just that simple for someone who has a drinking problem.

Sarcasm :s

This is a website for tracking calories, not a help forum for people with alcohol issues.
  • Sheri8836
    Sheri8836 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had to give up my enjoyable Ciroc when my belly fat wouldn't budge. Coincidentally, a man here in my town suggest I start taking Liposomal vitamin C that he make for my constant lower back pain. In 10 days I was TOTALLY pain free, after 3 years of chiropractic visits. And, I no longer crave alcohol....such a blessing for me.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's Easy way to Control Alcohol. I haven't had a drop (or missed it) in almost 3 months :)
  • StephanieDL1
    StephanieDL1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I haven't binged drank for 3 weeks and I feel amazing, it is crazy the difference I feel since I stopped drinking (I would have 3-4 drinks at least four nights a week and once a week it would be a LOT in one night).
  • ogtmama
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's Easy way to Control Alcohol. I haven't had a drop (or missed it) in almost 3 months :)

And I've lost 23 pounds in 2.5 months
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    neckbreaka wrote: »
    Don't just stop drinking or else you will go nuts and think about drinking while you're not drinking making it harder to quit. You need to find a hobby/activity to replace what you normally do while drinking. Repeat the new hobby/activity for about a week and you will have adjusted nicely and staying sober will be easier.

some people have to quit cold turkey since she stated that moderation doesnt work for her. so she needs to remove all temptation.

I think she's suggesting having alternative activities to replace the drinking. Instead if catching up over drinks, go play mini-golf or rock climbing. That type of idea.

no she said Dont just stop drinking, the OP already said she tried to drink in moderation and it didnt help.I saw where she said find a hobby but I bolded what she said and thats what I responded to
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Solution; don't drink. Solves all problems

Yes of course - it's just that simple for someone who has a drinking problem.

Sarcasm :s

Maybe A.A. Meetings help.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    Don't just stop drinking or else you will go nuts and think about drinking while you're not drinking making it harder to quit. You need to find a hobby/activity to replace what you normally do while drinking. Repeat the new hobby/activity for about a week and you will have adjusted nicely and staying sober will be easier.

some people have to quit cold turkey since she stated that moderation doesnt work for her. so she needs to remove all temptation.

I think she's suggesting having alternative activities to replace the drinking. Instead if catching up over drinks, go play mini-golf or rock climbing. That type of idea.

no she said Dont just stop drinking, the OP already said she tried to drink in moderation and it didnt help.I saw where she said find a hobby but I bolded what she said and thats what I responded to

I think you're still misreading neckbreaka--it seems pretty clear that the "just" in "don't just stop drinking" is in contrast to also start some hobby/activity to fill the time OP would have spent drinking, so OP won't just be sitting around wishing she were drinking. T
  • ogtmama
    edited June 2016
    Options

I think you're still misreading neckbreaka--it seems pretty clear that the "just" in "don't just stop drinking" is in contrast to also start some hobby/activity to fill the time OP would have spent drinking, so OP won't just be sitting around wishing she were drinking. T

I interpreted it as advising her to cut down slowly instead of *just* quitting. The joys of internet communication ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Im not saying a hobby wont help,I didnt discount that part at all.I said what I responded to. even the OP agreed with me to remove all temptation.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I interpreted it as advising her to cut down slowly instead of *just* quitting. The joys of internet communication ;)

yes, it could be that. but the OP said she tried drinking in moderation so that didnt work for her.geez which is why I said what I did.The op knows what she has to do and what should work for her and what doesnt.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I did dry January this year because I realized how much alcohol I was drinking, especially over the holidays. Like you, OP, moderation does not work for me. I'm definitely all-or-nothing. At first, it was easy. Get through the week days without a drink? Sure, easy. But then comes the weekend...what to do on Friday, Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking? My social group is very much centered around alcohol. I can resist at home, especially if I don't keep it in the house, but what if we want to go hang out with our friends in one of our regular spots (wine bar/cheese shop, lounge, and/or happy hour...seriously, they're all about booze)? I just had to not go for a month. It drove my husband crazy and we had our first really serious fight about it...he called it stupid, but I was adamant. I needed to do it for myself.

When the month was over and I finally opened a bottle of wine, I found that I was able to enjoy two glasses (instead of the whole bottle). I got buzzed sooner, didn't feel the need to keep going, and when we did go out with friends, I only had one or two before I was done for the night. I was able to pace myself instead of slamming them back.

Here we are 5 months later, and I'm still holding on to only drinking 2-3 nights a week. I can very easily polish off a whole bottle still, but I honestly think that's genetics...Polish, French, German, and Irish...I just don't do it every day any more :)

Good luck, OP!
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    tiddolski wrote: »
    I don't drink all the time but when I do I binge drink. I drink roughly twice a month. It's just easy to find yourself on a slippery slope when it comes to alcohol. I have noticed my habits lately have been a little worse. So I'm trying to be proactive about it.
    I think you are very brave to see that you might be teetering on the top of a slippery slide, and to admit it.
    Binge drinking is so bad for you on so many levels. It makes you vulnerable to accidents, to unscrupulous sexual advances not to mention general health. And it wrecks a diet.
    Even drinking a tiny glass of white wine with a meal completely closes down your digestive system while the alcohol is metabolised. Your body sees alcohol as a poison, so it gets priority.
    I think you should take your brave stance to the next level and go to your doctor, a health councillor or contact Alcoholics Anonimous.
    This is beyond the advice that fellow dieters can or should give.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Sheri8836 wrote: »
    Also, belly fat is half gone. Another 4 lb loss and it should be flat once again.
    And trigden1991, alcohol IS calories and helping each other is what these forums are about.

Alcohol has calories, we can agree on that! However binge drinking is defined as consuming excessive amounts of alcohol, which is beyond the scope of these forums.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I drank heavy for 12 years, and gained 150 pounds. I tried MFP 2 years ago and it took 3 months to lose 20 pounds, and i got frustrated, i wasn't adding in my alcohol and was still eating bad, but less. I'm sober 5 weeks now, realized it was my problem, I've lost 14 pounds in 4 weeks.
    What i did was make an excel spreadsheet, added all the beer i drank, whiskey, wine, totaled up all of my calories and cost per week and found out i was drinking 6000 a week !!!! That's what hit me like a brick to the face, and came to a realization i just needed to stop entirely, because i couldn't fit it into my lifestyle. I don't plan on drinking anymore, i lost interest.
    After the first few weeks, i stopped thinking about he liquor store, i stopped wanting drinks, i got motivated to shed pounds.

congrats on being sober. and congrats on the weight loss as well.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    That you describe it as a 3-day bender is really alarming... Calories aside, you really need professional help in dealing with your approach to alcohol--please contact your doctor/counselor/other health professional.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to have something you've quit and never gone back to. Gives you more and more resolve and willpower. Recently it was fast food for me - stopped four months ago and will never eat it again. Twenty years ago I stopped smoking, never looked back, every day was a day stronger.
  • minniesb69
    minniesb69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    tiddolski wrote: »
    I don't drink all the time but when I do I binge drink. I drink roughly twice a month. It's just easy to find yourself on a slippery slope when it comes to alcohol. I have noticed my habits lately have been a little worse. So I'm trying to be proactive about it.

I know exactly what u mean...sometimes it's hard for others to understand. I used to drink all the time but for years now I only drink about once a week and when I do it's an all nighter. Such fun. Lol. My issue is the opposite of what's supposed to happen. I dont gain from the empty calories and I lose my appetite when drinking, just back to back drinks with friends. I always see a big dip in my weight the next day.
    My advice, tell ur friends about ur concerns. Good friends understand and can either help cut u off after a few or find other activities to do together. Also try to remain active while drinking like dancing or walking around talking to ppl. I cant keep still when I'm drunk. Lol.
    If you must munch prepare for it ahead of time...make something or plan the destination and factor it into ur calorie count. We're stronger than we think. I'm sure you can handle this. :-) Best wishes!