Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How often to weigh yourself?

On Friday I started Metformin due to PCOS and insulin resistance, what metformin does is basically metabolize your sugar. I am taking it to shed some weight after gaining 60 pounds from depo provera. I've been weighing myself everyday because I lost 4 pounds in two days due to the medication and I wanted to keep an eye on it. But now it's only been four days and I feel hopeless because since the 4lbs I lost, I've only been losing about .2lbs. How often should I be weighing myself?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Studies show that those that weigh themselves daily lose more weight.
    But, you need to do what makes you most comfortable.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2016/01/03/weight-loss-scales-daily/77584478/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/daily-weigh-ins_n_6858604.html
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 2016
    I have a Withings Body Cardio which bribes you into using it daily by also showing you the weather :) It logs everything to the app/ website. So so good.

It also tells you how good your heart function is but that hasn't kicked in yet, I only got them on Friday.
  • virginiahodgson
    virginiahodgson Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all so much! It's a little disheartening but I just have to keep it in my mind that it's going to fluctuate no matter what. Only recording once a week is a great idea!
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    It depends on your personality. I weigh myself everyday, log it, and take a weekly average for my official weight. However, seeing the daily ups and downs can drive people crazy. If that bugs you, then weigh in once or twice a week. In any case, be sure to look at the long-term 3-4 week progress to see your overall progress on how you're doing. That's the best way to see if you're on the right track or not.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Every 2 weeks or so. The weight of food in your stomach doesn't count as actual bodyweight so I try to avoid weighing myself whenever I've recently consumed a meal.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Once a day at the same time, in the morning right after I wake up, before I shower.
    Record it once a week.
    Weight can vary greatly throughout the day.
  • MrsBaaadger
    MrsBaaadger Posts: 9 Member
    I weigh daily, but I only record my weight once a week.

The same, I find it helps my motivation to weigh daily even if gain a bit as it helps me keep focussed.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    I weigh myself daily when I work. When I started I had to use the scales in shipping that will weigh thousands of pounds accurately and can be zeroed out. I just continue to do it the same now for consistency. So for me, I weigh myself 5 days a week, 6 if I am lucky and we are working overtime, 7 if I am really lucky and we are working the entire weekend.

I do so everyday before I eat my breakfast or really drink anything.

Some people can't handle seeing the numbers everyday or would rather see a larger jump once a week or whatever. For me it is just a number. It doesn't indicate good or bad, it is just what today's number happens to be. It stays the same or goes down most days during the workweek because I am much more disciplined during then. After the weekend it typically goes up a little and I work it back off during the week. It doesn't mean good or bad, it just means that today, that is how much I weigh. :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Someday someone should do a psychology paper on this.
    How closely is this to the type of people that do not look at their checking account because they won't like the numbers.
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Once a week during the same time and lighting. Personally I think the scale is a bad indication of weight loss. Sometimes I eat to much sodium and end up holding water.
  • xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    Daily and I use Weightgrapher.com, which graphs your weight loss trend over a longer period of time (default is 10 days). Today the scale said I was 0.6 pounds heavier than I was 10 days ago (depressing) but my weight loss trend is over 1.5 pounds per week, which is my goal (Yay!). Huge psychological boost.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    I check once a week. Daily fluctuations are too irritating for me.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    If I weighed weekly and it happened to be these days where my weight has gone up I would be very upset. And would have missed the lower weight which might have been the previous day.
    I weigh daily because I want to know how my weight fluctuates.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    i wi and log it daily, yes it means my graph is up and down all over the place but when you then look at say 3 months as long as its heading down in general im happy.

i only got my new scales on Monday as not been wi or logging food properly since i had my baby 6 months ago but having the ability to wi in daily again has helped me stay on strack since being back at it properly
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    I weigh myself daily, because it keeps me more accountable. I understand that fluctuations do arise and only record my weight once a week or so, but weighing daily in the morning allows me to recognize when I've had a more calorie-heavy day.

Also, if you're not already aware there's a PCOS group on here you could join: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

PCOS is definitely a struggle. Losing 4lbs is a good start!
  • Illyrien
    Illyrien Posts: 7 Member
    I weight myself every morning, and I have made that part of the morning rutine so that I never miss it. I know from sad experience, that its in periode where I dont't that I lose control over my weight.

I purchased a Withing weight backing in 2013 and its been a joy ever since. I just step up and it does all the work with saving the data, making nice graphs and integrating with many different sites. Like MyfitnessPal, Endomondo, Fitbit etc. They exchange a ton of data, which is great.

The Withings weight also does fat% measurements, though, since I weight myself first thing, that % is wrong... well, atleast its somewhat consistently wrong. ;)
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Yes. NOT weighing myself is what landed me here. It was the "I don't even know how I got here" story. I found that weighing once/week is a good routine for me.
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Once a week for me.