Replies

• Beverlyyj
    Beverlyyj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All of these have really helped me! Thank you all so much
  • Beverlyyj
    Beverlyyj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do have another question, she I exercise after food or on empty stomach? It seems like I don't have enough energy if I exercise first, but then if I eat am I just burning the food I just ate? Or am I going to get weight loss benefits still if I eat then exercise??
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel. @singingflutelady is right, physiologically, it doesn't matter, but you may get nauseated if you eat before or light headed if you don't. It's all a personal preference. :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Depends on how you feel. @singingflutelady is right, physiologically, it doesn't matter, but you may get nauseated if you eat before or light headed if you don't. It's all a personal preference. :)

Sorry I should have clarified. If you perform better after eating than yes it helps to eat before but if you perform the same there is no difference. I personally workout fasted but that's because i have a GI disease and digestion is painful so I rather work out not in pain :p
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Beverlyyj wrote: »
    I have been on fitness pal for a while, I lose a couple of pounds, then gain them back. I do Between 6000-10,000 steps a day, I log EVERYTHING, should I be eating certain foods or is there a certain diet to follow? Or should I lower my calories, manually? Someone please help, I am getting discouraged trying not to give up

How long is 'a while' and how many lbs is 'a couple of pounds'?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your help and encouragement. I started at 183, went down to 177.8 then this week, I am back at 180! I haven't done anything different. I am 5'4, eating 1490 a day I put in sedentary, but I do between 6000-10,000 steps a day. I guess these are my stats? Now I am afraid to eat

I wouldn't trust the burn that Fitbit gives you (I'm assuming you're using a Fitbit when you talk about your steps). I found I gained weight when I trusted the Fitbit. I think it over exaggerates how much you burn.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP have you read the stickied "Most Helpful Posts" at the top of the Getting Started and other sections? A lot of the answers to the questions you are asking are contained within those threads including the importance of logging accurately, setting reasonable goals, etc.

Also, you recently bumped this old thread from the end of February with some new questions. What's been happening with your weight loss in the last four months?

Logging accurately matters far more for weight loss than the types of foods you eat. What you eat, when you eat, if/when//what kind of exercise you do is all a matter of personal preference. To lose weight you must be in a calorie deficit. Period.
  • ianwilson67
    ianwilson67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i don't log my activity, im quite sedentary but i walk to the shops every day, i dont log it i just stick within my food calories and anything else becomes a bonus.
  • ianwilson67
    ianwilson67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    p.s cut out as much sodium as you can and stick to fresh. ALL processed foods contain obscene amounts of sodium. Tinned foods, deli meats etc, chuck them away.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    p.s cut out as much sodium as you can and stick to fresh. ALL processed foods contain obscene amounts of sodium. Tinned foods, deli meats etc, chuck them away.

Considering that almost every commercially available food is "processed" by some means, making a blanket, all caps statement that ALL processed foods contain obscene amounts of sodium seems a little over the top. Foods like greek yogurt, steel cut oats, frozen vegetables, etc are processed, provide considerable nutritional value, and do not have high levels of sodium. Additionally, with no medical reason to restrict sodium, (unless I missed something OP mentioned upthread), why would she need to avoid sodium or "processed" foods?
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for all your help and encouragement. I started at 183, went down to 177.8 then this week, I am back at 180! I haven't done anything different. I am 5'4, eating 1490 a day I put in sedentary, but I do between 6000-10,000 steps a day. I guess these are my stats? Now I am afraid to eat

I wouldn't trust the burn that Fitbit gives you (I'm assuming you're using a Fitbit when you talk about your steps). I found I gained weight when I trusted the Fitbit. I think it over exaggerates how much you burn.

Mine has been quite accurate, helped me lose the weight I set out to lose and am now successfully maintaining that loss eating back the calorie adjustments from FitBit.

OP never actually said if she was eating back exercise adjustments I don't think - can you clarify for us OP? You mentioned you weren't originally using a food scale but plan to start, but if you can open your diary and also provide info about if you are eating back exercise adjustments that may also be helpful to identify any other potential sources of trouble.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just saw this chart while I was waiting on an answer. I do log everything that goes into my mouth even an M & M. I also measure, I was thinking maybe fitness pal is giving me too many calories? I put in sedentary and they gave me 1490 cal

Stop eating *kitten*, I hate the people who try CICO or IIFYM and then complain about their lack of success. Eat clean, train hard!!! - by clean I mean stop eating junk food like M&M's and by train hard I mean if you question if you trained hard enough at the end of a workout you didn't train hard enough. There should be puddles of sweat everywhere you go. Also stop with whatever excuse you have for not working out or training hard enough, they're irrelevant and the only person who cares about those excuses is you. So stop lying to yourself and put in some gawd dam effort already for *kitten* sake.

Think of where you'd be today if you had made that decision a year ago on this day. I bet it wouldn't be making a post about how you're starting to get discouraged and instead would be something positive and maybe someones else motivation.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just saw this chart while I was waiting on an answer. I do log everything that goes into my mouth even an M & M. I also measure, I was thinking maybe fitness pal is giving me too many calories? I put in sedentary and they gave me 1490 cal

Stop eating *kitten*, I hate the people who try CICO or IIFYM and then complain about their lack of success. Eat clean, train hard!!! - by clean I mean stop eating junk food like M&M's and by train hard I mean if you question if you trained hard enough at the end of a workout you didn't train hard enough. There should be puddles of sweat everywhere you go. Also stop with whatever excuse you have for not working out or training hard enough, they're irrelevant and the only person who cares about those excuses is you. So stop lying to yourself and put in some gawd dam effort already for *kitten* sake.

Think of where you'd be today if you had made that decision a year ago on this day. I bet it wouldn't be making a post about how you're starting to get discouraged and instead would be something positive and maybe someones else motivation.

I've read a bunch of thread about people who "eat clean" (whatever that TRULY means) who don't lose weight so your point may be lost.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Not very helpful advice.

Never eating M&M's is sad! Eat food, all food and exercise for health. Life is too short! Enjoy the journey :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

@Tedebearduff.. just NO! and so NOT helpful.