Gaining Instead of Losing

Options
I just started a 1200 calorie a day diet (3 days ago) from eating whatever I wanted. I assumed I would see weight loss from this. Wrong. Over the last 3 days I have gained weight. I am weighing my food and tracking everything including vitamin supplements. I haven't reduced my activity level. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fluid retention?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    How much of a gain? Weight fluctuates every day do it could be normal fluctuations. Plus time of the month issues, bathroom habits, etc.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It has been THREE days. Weight loss is not instant. It's going to take you a lot longer than three days to see results.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't doing anything wrong. You just haven't given your diet enough time. Many people who diet do not see immediate weight loss. It can happen in fits and starts, and even with people who experience steady, predictable weight loss, it takes more than three days for that weight loss to translate to reliable numbers on a scale. You need to give the diet at least 3-4 weeks. Then check your weight and see if you've gone down a few pounds.

Maybe, like me, you suffer from the so-called whoosh effect.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/797688/experience-with-the-whoosh

Second, the "weight gain" you are experiencing is almost certainly normal fluctuations due to water weight.

http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/when-your-weight-fluctuates-whats-normal-and-whats-not
    Since most of us can’t eat enough in a day or two to actually gain 5 or 10 pounds, if you notice a dramatic increase on the scale, chances are it's due to water, says Anita Petruzzelli, M.D., doctor for BodyLogicMD.

“Eating, drinking, urinating, having a bowel movement, and exercise can all impact your body's water composition and therefore weight," she says. For example, high-carb and high-salt foods can cause water retention and a boost in poundage, while exercise can lead to temporary water and weight loss.

So don't get too excited—or freaked—if you weigh yourself after a meal or workout. “Weight gain due to water fluctuation should normalize in a day or two when you resume exercising and eating a healthy diet that's low in salt, refined carbs, and simple sugars," Dr. Petruzzelli says.

This happens to all people. If you weigh yourself several times a day, you will likely notice that at certain times of the day you weigh anywhere from 1 pound to even 5 pounds heavier than you did first thing in the morning. This is not actual weight gain, it's water weight.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Come back after 30 days. If there's still no loss, then you might have a problem.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    One bad meal won't make you fat... and one good meal won't make you skinny. Doctors, myfitnesspal, health journals, studies and articles... they ALL agree that healthy food habits and exercise is the number one way to lose weight efficiently and in the healthiest way. TRUST the process. The rest will follow.

p.s. also... if you're allowing it to stress you out, your cortisol levels will rise, and that can create weight gain. Slow down and maybe only weigh in once a week for a while.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'll add the chart to all the good advice already given.

7taqmw0o4vtk.jpg